Oakwell Brewery At Risk

Tuesday March 5 2013

We Are Barnsley We Are Barnsley

THE future of the brewery which makes the original Barnsley Bitter is at risk.

RBNB, the company which owns Oakwell Brewery, plans to sell the 54-acre Pontefract Road site where beer has been brewed for more than 120 years.

It's unclear where the brewery will be relocated, sold, or even closed completely.

The brewery's managing director, Lynne Booth, said sales were down and not enough money was coming in.

"The site's way too big and the buildings are getting old and are in a state of disrepair - many of them are falling down," she said. "I cannot say yes or no as to whether the brewery will go as we are in the middle of talks."

Reply Posted by A H R on Tuesday March 5 2013 at 13:58
I thought it was closed in 1973 !

Reply Posted by steve wilson on Wednesday March 6 2013 at 16:32
I use to work for RBNB about 12 years ago, I ran one of there public houses in Nottingham, Ive just heard that they are selling or closing the pub down very soon. Its a sad time when local pubs have to close, I bet RBNB will do what they often do and Knock these pubs down and build houses on the land which are worth more to them

Reply Posted by m on Saturday March 9 2013 at 17:52
Another sad loss that put barnsley on map with Oakwell beer,
could they not just sell part of it to bank money n help keep it going and use for advertising to try and kick start sakes again... Sad times eh

Reply Posted by m on Saturday March 9 2013 at 17:54
Sakes = sales lol

Reply Posted by Pete J Garbett on Saturday March 16 2013 at 14:49
A sad day for unique and cheap beer. I have used the Shakespeare's Head in Leicester since 1999, and have lived almost next door to the Druid's Arms in Loughborough, Leics, for two years. Farewell Ruth and John, farewell Gail and Mark.

Reply Posted by David Marshall on Tuesday March 19 2013 at 01:09
**** the Druids, I'm off down the Nuns!

Reply Posted by Stafford Burt on Thursday April 4 2013 at 11:56
This a real shame for the Mansfield area as the three of their pubs in the area offer the only real alternative to our vast numbers of very samey Marstons houses (we only hve a couple for free houses here). Oakwell beers are much loved in this area - for both quality and price!. We suspect 2 of the houses will be closed and the land sold for 'alterntive use' whilst the larger town centre pub will probably be sold as a pub business

Reply Posted by Andrew Brett on Thursday April 4 2013 at 12:01
Noticed that The Devonshire Arms in Alfreton is also For Sale, which will be sadly missed by many local drinkers if it is sold for "alternative" use.

Reply Posted by Dean pleasant on Friday April 12 2013 at 13:13
Boooo!!! I work here ;(

Any1 got any jobs going?

Reply Posted by alanto on Saturday April 27 2013 at 13:07
How about if they sold the brewery and kept the pubs and sold John Smiths bitter or similar,proper Guinness and lager and moved into the 21st century?

Reply Posted by gregoryiain on Friday December 6 2013 at 14:17
Irony?

Reply Posted by steve on Monday April 29 2013 at 14:28
the dev in alfreton is closing on the 12th of may i will morn its passing it will be so missed not just by me but everyone of the locals 3 min walk for me had some great times in there oh well life must go on

Reply Posted by John on Friday May 31 2013 at 19:56
Magpie inn in Carlisle will close on june 2nd real community pub will be greatly missed

Reply Posted by anon on Friday June 28 2013 at 21:14
lynne booth killed the brewery

Reply Posted by Mariah Perkins on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 10:53
anon get your facts right before commenting and slandering people!, you do know you can be sued for such comments on a public website!! maybe not .... maybe you should educate yourself before writing opinions next time.

Reply Posted by sue on Wednesday July 10 2013 at 11:59
has the brewery totally closed now or is it still trading?

Reply Posted by wendy houghton on Thursday September 5 2013 at 23:33
Having run The Royal Oak in Flint for the last six years I am devastated that Oakwell has closed down. Myself and my team trebled the trade to take it to the only one in the company that made any real profit in the last four years. Not big headed - fact! All managers ad employees of the company were told differing stories about what was happening to the 29 pubs and the brewery site - a lot of it has been lies. Tonight I have been informed by CAMRA that The Brewery itself has been bought and will continue to produce beer. Maybe our secret share holders are hatching yet another devious plan because apparently our head brewer is involved! I still look after the Royal Oak as a caretaker and have been lucky enough to take on a Marstons pub on the same street. It has to be said that they at least reward managers for their hard work though my heart is back at The Royal Oak which is growing more and more tired every day. If Oakwell beer is going to be produced again then I know several hundred customers here that would buy it. As for the comment thay Lynne Booth closed the brewery down all I can say is that the people she had to work for are totally deranged and one in particular is a power freak, She did what she was told to do. Her people skills are not the best and we locked horns at nearly every meeting but to say her hands were tied is an under statement.

Reply Posted by Chris Way on Monday November 18 2013 at 17:25
Perhaps Mariah Perkins will take the opportunity to educate all of us as to the why's and wherefore's of Oakwells demise. I've met and spoken to many 'experts' on the subject, from the conspiracy theorists to the bring back Neale Walsh brigade. I must admit that I've never encountered anyone that jumped to Ms Booths defence even in jest. I can therefore only assume that you are party to something that has eluded the rest of us. Thankyou in advance for raising us up to your level of enlightenment.

Reply Posted by gez on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 23:22
Could someone tell me how to get hold of Ms Booth or anyone at oakwell, they have closed my local in Birmingham and id like to try and buy the lease with a view to reopen the pub but cant find contact info anywhere. Any help would be appreciated I need to save our pub it was the heart of the community and is greatly missed.

Reply Posted by sunny on Sunday December 15 2013 at 16:00
Can someone find contact number or address for RBNB, the company which owns Oakwell Brewery or recever ?

Reply Posted by Molly on Thursday January 2 2014 at 19:34
Gaz/Sunny .... Ask Mariah Perkins.

Reply Posted by gez on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 13:36
Thanks for the reply, how do I contact Mariah Perkins?

Reply Posted by Molly on Saturday January 18 2014 at 22:57
Try her Facebook page

Reply Posted by Matt on Monday March 3 2014 at 23:02
Non of the leases are for sale as thay are all free hold and to be sold that way. Very sad as if I could of leased the pub I managed I would have. They are only interested in selling, and yes ms booth was only acting on her bosses wishes I agree with Wendy .

Reply Posted by Gail on Saturday June 28 2014 at 00:57
Who is Lynne's boss? we at the Red Lion understood she was the boss? The pub was profitable but closed down a year ago and is now being boarded up which means we can't use our theatre at the back of the pub yard.