Shafton ALC Gets Damning Report From Ofsted

Tuesday March 5 2013

We Are Barnsley We Are Barnsley

FOLLOWING its first Ofsted inspection, Shafton ALC is failing to give its pupils an acceptable standard of education.

The news comes less than two years after opening.

In a damning report, inspectors cited underachievement, poor leadership, as well as staff and pupil absence among a list of problems at the school.

The report said: "Overall GCSE attainment was exceptionally low in mathematics and low in many other subjects, especially English and science."

"Underachievement was caused by high levels of staff absence and the frequent use of supply teachers that resulted in poor teaching."

The report described the quality of teaching as 'inadequate' and the behaviour and safety of pupils 'requires improvement'.

The school opened in September 2011 following the merger of Willowgarth High School and Priory School in Lundwood.

The merger led to students following different GCSE courses and not all teachers were familiar with the range of course and assessment requirements, according to Ofsted.

Lisa Allott, the school's deputy head, said: "The report confirms that a great deal needs to be done to ensure that all our students are given every opportunity to develop the essential skills and qualifications which they will need to succeed in the future."

Reply Posted by Arthur on Tuesday March 5 2013 at 10:57
My Daughter is in Her last year at this school so is a crucial time with the exams. She loved being at Willowgarth but since being at Shafton Her enthusiasm has gone lower and lower because of the way the school is being run. Some of the best teachers who were at Willowgarth have left (and maybe the same with the Priory teachers) because of the low moral in the place.
My 2 older Sons went to Willowgarth and we got to know all of the teachers over the years as they were happy to stay there but at Shafton when we go to the parent evenings we go into the school looking around for any teachers we know and there may be about 3 at the most. How can the authorities expect our children to learn when they are constantly seeing new teachers all the time. It's shocking how they are being treated.
There's 1 person we don't seem to see and that is the Headmisstress who I can say I have never seen since the school opened and this is even after having appointments booked to see Her because of the concerns I had after my Daughter telling me how bad the school was. The last time I had an appointment booked with Her I was phoned by the school about 1 hour before to say She had to go home sick !!!!!

Reply Posted by Mr Dave Perkins on Tuesday March 5 2013 at 11:09
Hummm,

To be honest if your daughter attends an adult learning centre you should possibly consider closing your legs when your 50.

having kids at that age is morely wrong

Reply Posted by Barry Smith on Tuesday March 5 2013 at 11:38
It is Shafton Advanced Learning Center for Children up to 17 Dave. Not for Adults.

Reply Posted by John Darnbrough on Tuesday March 5 2013 at 13:50
Your a MORON Dave.

Reply Posted by Fist on Tuesday March 5 2013 at 11:38
Mr Dave Perkins
ALC = Advanced Learning Centre
A merger between two high schools
Students are 11-16

Reply Posted by Fist on Tuesday March 5 2013 at 14:02
Your're

FIST

Reply Posted by Mike Hunt on Tuesday March 5 2013 at 14:04
You're

Reply Posted by FIST on Tuesday March 5 2013 at 14:32
Nobody corrects FIST

FIST

Reply Posted by Aunt Hilder on Tuesday March 5 2013 at 17:56
SLAP.

Reply Posted by Anon on Tuesday March 5 2013 at 20:46
Probably because the current headteacher is more bothered about the way the pupils look, rather than the pupils education. Willowgarth was more into education, not fashion! I mean, not being able to wear a red jacket, outside of the building, when on a break, whats that all about?

Reply Posted by may on Wednesday March 6 2013 at 11:38
i think more parents need to take an interest in whats happening with their kids in school. in my experience iv'e found that if the school knows your monitering your childs progress they are more likely to keep an eye on whats happening with them.when my grandsons work started slipping his parents went into school and demanded a weekly report on how he was doing,it didnt take long for his work to start improving.

Reply Posted by Robert on Thursday March 7 2013 at 13:14
The school is a disgrace, with smoking on an epic proportion. It is like walking into Grimethorpe Colliery before they all down the pit, with teachers and pupils having a crafty fag together just before lessons. They cannot do simple times tables, they prefer to send children home in wrong dress. Parents should also take some of the blame, but it appears that the BAD APPLES run this school yard and the teachers have no powers. About time we brought back a more forceful punishment and about time we got rid of some nanny state teachers too...

Reply Posted by jodie on Thursday March 7 2013 at 14:22
I was a student at Priory School and Ofsted was always pleased throughout my 5 years of being there. The school didn't fail nor did the headteacher, teachers or pupils. So since the two schools have been combined its began to fail on exams, don't you think it's up to the pupils not putting the effort in. There's is only so much the teachers and head teachers can do. But then again everyone has their own opinion, That's just mine.

Reply Posted by Jules on Thursday March 7 2013 at 15:49
Darton high changed to an academy,that's gone downhill,Carlton community has bad offsted reports so that's gone downhill,should have left all schools as they were

Reply Posted by Noname on Friday March 8 2013 at 09:27
It's a real shame, even more so being that education attainment as a whole in Barnsley is below average. I don't think the head or the teachers are just to blame, there's a whole load of factors. The main one I think is that two already lower achieving schools were put together, recipe for disaster. If you look at the Ofsted report the failings aren't based upon the attainment values, it seems every aspect is failing. Plus we need to start looking at ourselfs as parents and what we can do, we can't just turn a blind eye and pin all the blame on the teachers.

Reply Posted by Disappointed parent on Sunday March 10 2013 at 16:40
We have had numerous trips to school over uniform and my children used to bike it the 2 miles to school, but they have stopped this as they don't wear the relevant helmet and knee pads I'm sorry but no lad at 15 will wear these pads and after checking with the relevant authorities thy is no official law. But they have stopped it and now they catch bus maybe they should concentrate on teaching instead of making up there own laws.......

Reply Posted by Michelle on Sunday March 10 2013 at 16:56
We had this debate last month when the league tables were published. I complained to the school, to Barnsley LEA and Ofsted. I asked the school for a consultation meeting to be offered inviting all parents but was offered one for just me. When I complained and said this was not what I asked for they have ignored me. LEA said that I had to got through the schools complaints procedure and when I told them I had tried this to no avail, they have ignored me. Ofsted have emailed me to say that my complaints are just what the Ofsted report found but I said that still doesn't help parents who want to know what is going to happen and have hear nothing since that reply last week. It comes across that nobody apart from us parents give a damn. What a coincidence that at the time that the results were published the Head of the school went on long term sick leave. What are we supposed to do now because I for one have seen no improvements and woory about what my daughter will leave with next year.

Reply Posted by fed up parent on Sunday March 10 2013 at 17:34
All the local secondary schools are failing shafton is no different. In an ideal world they wud av left priory and willogarth separate but thats done now. staff changes / absence will without doubt be effecting the level of teaching but also the parents have a role to play. doesnt matter if u agree with the school rules (I dont) about uniform, its a rule so dont buy them multi coloured coats or shoe - or dont be suprised wen your kid is challenged for breaking the rules. also as with all the local schools staff welcome parental involvement and support.

Reply Posted by jed on Sunday March 10 2013 at 19:16
bad teachers equals bad school, sack em and get some good ones. Barnsley has been failed by its teachers for too long. Ask around the good teachers know who the dead legs are. Its just the unions propping them up...make em move on

Reply Posted by Roy on Sunday March 10 2013 at 21:50
My concern is for when my kids move up to that school. I've had talks with parents who have children/young adults up there already, and heard nothing but bad reports. Mainly about the headteacher, and how she runs the school like a boot camp and dishing out punishments for the slightest little thing. Thats not running a school of learning, thats creating a prison camp!

Reply Posted by barry on Thursday May 23 2013 at 19:50
my teenage daughter currently attends shafton alc and i am shocked with the decrease in her motivation since being a part of the school. whilst in Priory she was more than determined to do her best and i believe that was down to the teachers more than anything , now all i here is that punishments are going way to far and children are facing extreme consequences and sometimes even exclusive for the slightest little thing. i'll tell you now and im sure many people will agree with me when i say this, i believe education is a lot more important than what a student wears for school , so why on earth are pupils sent home for how they are dressed? missing out on valuable learning time. it digusts me and something needs to be done.

Reply Posted by Anon on Thursday May 23 2013 at 20:18
My daughter has been at Shafton ALC since the demise of Willowgarth. Since day one there has been a marked demotivation and a lack of interest that she never displayed whilst at Willowgarth. The school itself is impressive in the way it looks but the day to day teaching is far inferior to that of Willowgarth. I feel that my daughter has been completely let down at the most crucial time in her education. I am particularly disgusted with the ridiculous situation in Mathematics. My wife and I have tried to make three separate appointments to speak to someone regarding the lack of a permenant Mathematics teacher, we had no reply on any occasion and on asking the question at parents evening were shocked to be told that there was no head of maths at that time. When I confronted the maths teacher and voiced my concerns he shrugged his shoulders and said "I agree with everything you say". This is not what I expected when the new "super" school was unveiled.

Reply Posted by Tina smith on Monday September 23 2013 at 15:08
I am having problems with 3 of my children who at the moment attend CCC.was informed that this school us a lot better,but in reading it,it is just like Carlton community ...they all seem to be more interested in the way the children look then giving them the best possible education!!!....once again,it isn't about the uniform they wear but how they learn!...being excluded for non removal of earrings....looks like they would rather pupils be at home then in school learning...

Reply Posted by Dave on Thursday November 21 2013 at 22:24
So let me work this out....there are clear rules which we all know? And the students can't even follow simple uniform rules? What else are they simply choosing to ignore? I taught there 15 years ago, really liked the honesty of the place. If students can;t be bothered to do something as simple as wear the uniform correctly, then vote with your feet. Move on. Why go where you don't want to be?

Reply Posted by tracey on Monday December 23 2013 at 00:16
Well said

Reply Posted by unknown on Thursday November 28 2013 at 20:16
Shafton alc is shit I went in there onec and the teachers were like 'ye what ever' so its not really the kids folt if the teachers are poor at doing there job is it. Since the two schoole have been together it has been awful I'd used to love coming in to parents eveing but now I just don't want to any more

Reply Posted by GOD HELP US on Thursday November 28 2013 at 20:22
UNKNOWN@ :once not onec: fault not folt: schools not schoole: evening not eveing: maybe when you visited the School you could have asked for spelling lesson,s..

Reply Posted by pete on Thursday November 28 2013 at 20:24
Can tell you went just the once.

Reply Posted by Anon on Saturday February 15 2014 at 10:41
My daughter attends Shafton and i have had no problems , any i have had i have spoken to the relevant teacher and had their support. My daughter is due to sit her GCSEs this time and has predicted grades or As & Bs which she is more than happy with ,as am i . I think sometimes teachers get the blame ,if a child wants to learn they will ,if they dont they wont .

Reply Posted by Jay on Saturday October 4 2014 at 09:28
The school is a joke anyway. They get excluded from school for most trivial of things now. They can't be bothered. We are withdrawing our children from the school and sending them elsewhere. The teachers (not all I'm sure) just buzz off the power and talk to the children like s---