Cudworth Man With Learning Disabilities Lands Dream Job

Tuesday March 5 2013

A CUDWORTH man with a learning disability has found his dream job with the help of a disability charity.

Daniel Hirst's disability affects his memory and speech. The 23-year-old contacted Mencap to develop his CV and learn new skills to help him find employment.

Daniel has since been hired as a software programmer for Sheffield-based health and safety services company HS Direct Ltd.

The company's director, James Murphy, said: "Daniel has been a fantastic addition to our team. His work is excellent and he has fitted in incredibly well with all the other members of staff - we are very pleased to have him on board."

Mencap workers also helped Daniel, who also has a physical disability which affects his mobility, apply for funding so that he can pay for taxis to and from work.

"I was determined that I would accept my disabilities and find a way,'' said Daniel.

"I have gone from being the quiet new guy in the corner, to having a laugh and joke with my co-workers and having software out there selling on its first release."

Reply Posted by sarah on Tuesday March 5 2013 at 14:12
good on him =)
if he has the skills i dont see why he shouldnt land the job =)

Reply Posted by trev on Tuesday March 5 2013 at 14:17
well done daniel and mencap

Reply Posted by ann on Wednesday March 6 2013 at 14:06
just proves there is a job for everyone out there if you try hard enough so come on you lot who complain theres no jobs there is Daniel has proved it

Reply Posted by Lou on Wednesday March 6 2013 at 14:35
Nice to see some good news x

Reply Posted by wedge on Wednesday March 6 2013 at 18:38
what a goon

Reply Posted by Anon on Friday March 8 2013 at 15:03
I would surmise that 'wedge', the entity commenting above with 'what a goon' is a jealous, unskilled nobody who's life will amount to nothing but taking drugs and drinking cheap cider in run down, crack den-like accommodation.

I pray for the future of your children, one hopes they don't perceive you as a role model. Now run along and collect your giro, you waster.

Reply Posted by Anon on Friday March 8 2013 at 15:04
On a brighter note, well done Daniel. I wish you happiness and fulfillment in your new role. Show the world what you've got young man. :)