Hoyland Tesco Build Delayed For Third Time

Tuesday March 5 2013

We Are Barnsley We Are Barnsley

WORK to build a new Tesco store in Hoyland which could create 140 new jobs has been put back for the third time.

The store on Market Street was originally due to open by spring this year, then it was hoped to be completed before Christmas and now Tesco says it will instead open in January 2014.

Permission was granted in July 2011 and workers started clearing the site in February 2012 but little has happened since.

Earlier this month a Tesco spokesman said they were going through the finer points of the plans and work would start by the end of March/early April.

But this week a spokesman said work would not now start until the end of the year.

The spokesman said they were committed to the project despite delays and looked forward to opening the store for customers.

"These developments do take an amount of time and we want to make sure the development is right for ourselves and our customers," he said.

Reply Posted by claire lancaster on Tuesday March 5 2013 at 13:48
its always gettin put back the say the opening then its put back they release another date to open then its put back again to be quite honest i dont think its going to happen this tesco project as its lacking about way too long i live close by to where it should be getting built it would be a bonus having a supermarket close to home instead of having to travel but only time will tell im sorry for sounding negative but its making public think the same as tescos are givng out negative dates to opening a store

Reply Posted by Andy Smith on Tuesday March 5 2013 at 14:10
I live just up the road fron the proposed site and I have been looking forward to the opening. All we have though is an overgrown site and blown over fencing. Its a bit of a joke to be honest and I'll believe they are going to start work when I see it.

Reply Posted by allan on Tuesday March 5 2013 at 14:34
if they dont want the site why dont they just sell it to asda

Reply Posted by living local on Tuesday March 5 2013 at 14:54
yeah build asda instead!!!!

Reply Posted by Iwanttogohome on Wednesday March 6 2013 at 08:59
I currently work at Tescos in London and I've been waiting for them to start building this for quite some time so I can get a transfer to this store as I was raised in hoyland/hoyland common up to my earlier 20's, I can't stand working for Tescos as they are a terrible company to work for in my experience, but I wanted a job for when I go back home, this is getting to be a joke, which is what Tesco is but it would have been perfect to get my feet planted, I guess I now will end up on the dole as I desperately want to get out of London!

Reply Posted by ROB on Friday March 8 2013 at 17:22
Barnsley born n bread but i live in Worksop now and Tesco have done the same down ea the land iz all redy to start building on but at least one year on and its just not started on ,i think its Tesco's way to get land so no other supermarket build close to the one they allredy have , its time the goverment so this haz away to get land and leave it we can c it y cant they 'O YES ITS ALL ABOUT MONEY 4 THE LOCAL TOSS POTS WE HAVE CALL COUNCLE

Reply Posted by Mick on Friday March 8 2013 at 18:00
Build a Tesco . Kill a town

Reply Posted by rob on Sunday March 10 2013 at 14:05
So it wont be creating jobs, its just for ex pats to come back to their homeland? false advertising then really

Reply Posted by Anon on Sunday March 10 2013 at 14:22
Put the play park back!!!

If any of you have actually noticed tescos are circling morrisons this is why they bought market st school land.. Think about it cortonwood is surrounded by tesco wath to the right tesco stairfoot to the left and above should finally be a tesco in hoyland i use tesco and morrisons and when im sick of them stores i use chapletown asda lol

Reply Posted by Iwanttogohome on Wednesday March 13 2013 at 13:23
"Ex pats"? Last I checked I don't even have a passport so that my friend is impossible, plus London and Barnsley are in the same country so again it makes no sense, and I'm sure 1 job isn't gonna cancel out the other 139, it's the same with any large company, you can transfer whereever you like within that company, I don't make the rules, that's just fact mate,

Reply Posted by Employee on Friday April 5 2013 at 12:50
Hi guys I've spoke to the press office around the new Hoyland store and the groundworks are due to start at the end ov this month (April) and its scheduled to open feb 2014. :-)

Reply Posted by Ace on Friday October 25 2013 at 22:18
Bull nothing been done and now it is nearly the end of October. Someone needs a kick up the backside if you ask me. Sell the land to asda. Much better store.

Reply Posted by Phillspectre on Tuesday November 19 2013 at 09:32
Well something is happening at last, machines are in motion on the site. Hope they sort out the periodic flooding problem on the road as well while they are at it.