Hoyland Youth Club Under Threat

Tuesday February 26 2013

A YOUTH club in Hoyland is under threat as Barnsley Council looks to pull its funding.

The Komplex at Kirk Balk Community College is facing the axe as the council reviews its youth service provision amid efforts to save more than £4m from its budget.

The club is open three nights a week and at lunchtime for children aged 11 to 19.

Cllr Tim Cheetham said 18 youth clubs received funding from the council and he expected council assistance to all to go at the end of March. A decision is expected on Thursday.

"In order to achieve the savings required we are exploring with communities ways to continue youth clubs on a voluntary basis,'' he said. ''We're looking at alternative sources of funding or expanding the range of youth clubs which already operate successfully without council funding."

He said there is 'clearly a possibility' some clubs would be unable to continue but he said alternatives were being considered for the Komplex.

Reply Posted by kerry crossland on Tuesday February 26 2013 at 14:53
and people wonder why the kids are getting into crime - the only thing left for kids and the gov is taking it away, my daughter goes to komplex every week and looks forward to it. this gov has gone to pot.

Reply Posted by donna on Tuesday February 26 2013 at 16:39
leave the poor kids alone u will be moanin soon theres kids hanging around streets all night :( there stoppin the one in blackerhill too so so sad

Reply Posted by Kathy on Tuesday February 26 2013 at 16:46
Its a crying shame I went to that youth club in the 70's and 80's. Barnsley councillors should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this to happen come on stand up and develop a backbone let's get this government out before it destroys us!

Reply Posted by Mick on Tuesday February 26 2013 at 17:13
If parents want a youth club, just pay for one, charge an entrance fee. If people won't pay it deserves to close. Why should everyone subsidise the few?

Reply Posted by CS on Friday March 1 2013 at 11:16
People like you will be the first to moan when its those kids that would be at the youth clubs start playing footy on your street, or hanging around the shop doors, or drinking on the street corners and vandalising things. Get a grip of yourself, and maybe have some sympathy and thoughts for others instead of being all "me me me" - THAT'S what is getting this town, and indeed country, into the crapper.

Reply Posted by Mick on Friday March 1 2013 at 12:11
I don't have a problem with kids playing footy outside my house - they do, regularly. But let's not use the removal of a youth club which might be attended by 5% of the community to say we only have ourselves to blame if crime & anti-social behaviour increases. The behaviour of schoolkids is entirely there own and there parents responsibility. Why should all of society pay to entertain them at a time when there is barely enough money to pay for social workers & care for the elderly?

Reply Posted by Rebecca on Sunday March 10 2013 at 09:41
I agree with mick they should just have to pay some simple money to go

Reply Posted by Steve on Tuesday February 26 2013 at 21:52
You would have thought that a Councillor would have had the common decency to let the staff and management of their youth service know their clubs were shutting before they announced it publicly in the press. But Tim Cheetham is just adding to the uncertainty created by Steve Houghton in his Yorkshire Post article. I wonder who is doing the exploring with community groups, because I work with a few and have heard nothing.

Reply Posted by danna on Friday March 1 2013 at 10:35
Instead of spending money on art in the town use the money 2 save club

Reply Posted by mick on Sunday March 3 2013 at 18:39
what do you no art beats youth club hands down

Reply Posted by Diane on Sunday March 3 2013 at 17:07
My daughter goes to the Komplex at lunchtimes and the leaders organise for her to do Bronze Duke of Edinburgh Award. She will be gutted if this is withdrawn!

Reply Posted by SAM on Sunday March 3 2013 at 18:35
Shame about the promises made by councillors when standing for elections, who say we'll save this that and the other, only to break their promises to help the people and their families that voted for them......... if they hadn't of spent the money on expenses and perks of the jobs these facilities might not have to be cut ...... bet they won't take pay cuts in there wages like the majority of working people have had to do over the past few years....

Reply Posted by Rebecca on Tuesday March 5 2013 at 16:42
I really hope the youth clubs will get funding as I go to 3 different ones in Barnsley for disabled people lik myself they give you more confidence and help us build friendship as I find this very difficult with aspbergers and there is lots of Poole who go and understand eachother I feel safe at these places and they keep me away from bullies and they have also helped me to stop SH and I feel a lot happier with them around please don't close them instead of using money for roads+schools we don't need use them to help your community and keep these open please they are amazing all the staff care about us: Barnsley YMCA, ozone Mondays+Thursdays for autistic people, and also on Saturdays at Mzone with the SNAP thankyou