Upload a photo Upload a video Upload an mp3 Upload an event

News


Penistone Man Explains Why He Went Back Into His Burning Home

Tuesday February 26 2013




A RETIRED doctor risked his life to save two cats from a house fire believed to have been started by a faulty dishwasher.

We reported the incident last week, when South Yorkshire Fire first released its brief details.

Dr Cliff Calladine, of Penistone, was shopping at Meadowhall with wife Chris when he was alerted to the incident by a call to a mobile phone from the couple's security alarm.

After entering his home to find his two cats - both of which survived the blaze - firefighters later arrived and helped Dr Calladine to exit the house.

"I got a bit of a telling off from the fire brigade for putting my life at risk," he said.

"The first thing you think about when you're faced with that situation is not your possessions but the things that mean the most to you.''

Damage, including a scorched kitchen and a number of smoke-damaged rooms, will cost an estimated £100,000 to repair.

Leave a comment
comments powered by Disqus
2 Showing 2 comments

Reply Posted by Jules on Wednesday February 27 2013 at 22:33
I would have done exactly the same in that situation, so pleased everyone ok. Dr Calladine I don't know you but I bet ur a lovely gent. Anyone who cares for their pets in that way deserves a huge pat on the back. It's so lovely to hear stories like this and to know a lot of decent people do care amidst the horrific stories we hear about animals suffering these days by some scum. X

Reply Posted by dene on Thursday February 28 2013 at 08:18
He was in Medowhall and got home before , the fire brigade got there how long did it take it to come ,,,,,