Bedroom Tax For Family

Friday February 22 2013

A FAMILY who moved into a three-bedroom council house will have to pay 'bedroom tax'.

The news comes after the couple were told they couldn't have a two-bedroom property because they have too many children.

Beth Brant and Daryl Burns live with their two children in Worsbrough Bridge.

Daryl also has two other children who stay with them for three days a week.

Because Daryl's children live with them part-time, the couple were refused their desired two-bedroom house.

Because of this, they have to pay an extra £12.50 a week in rent from April because they're classed as having a spare bedroom.

Beth, 20, said they will struggle to meet the cost as she is on an apprenticeship wage, and Daryl doesn't work as he suffers depression.

"When we signed for the house we were told about the bedroom tax, but we were also told we wouldn't be affected because my partner's children live with us for half the week.''

A spokeswoman from Berneslai Homes said customers are asked to sign a document to show they understand how changes will affect them, prior to signing up a new tenant.

She added: "Despite this information, Miss Brant agreed to accept the tenancy of her current home."

Reply Posted by Dan on Friday February 22 2013 at 12:02
bedroom tax? this the latest scam from the council then? get them out...

Reply Posted by yvonne on Friday February 22 2013 at 12:10
not only will they be paying " bedroom tax " from april, they will also have to pay some council tax aswell.

Reply Posted by The RT Hon David Cameron MP on Friday February 22 2013 at 12:13
For a start if they dont want to pay bedroom tax, stop dodging getting employment claiming your "depressed" and get a job, there are 400 people in every 100,000 that suffer from it and they still manage to work for a living and provide for their families and pay into the system. Stop expecting to be carried through life especially when you havent even been employed from leaving school 9 years ago? If you suffer so much from depression your doctor should have put you on 1 of many anti-depressiants and arranged councelling for you. After 6-12 months of been on these and having councelling you should arrange another meeting with your doctor and arrange and back to work assesment (If nessesary) but i dont think this has happened and ever will because your aim i guess is not to get better in life, it top be carried through and let everyone else pay for your luxuries.

Reply Posted by Anon on Friday February 22 2013 at 12:16
Hahaha! Fair comment!

The name cant be legit, Surely not....

Reply Posted by Grammar King on Friday February 22 2013 at 12:18
Mr. Cameron - your points are ridiculous and I could take you much more seriously if you knew the difference between "your" and "you're". Maybe also Google "necessary".

Fool.

Reply Posted by shazz on Sunday March 24 2013 at 16:35
you, go on about everyone getting a job and paying their way, what about the people who are in full time employment and claim housing benefit as their wages are so low You go on about the low paid in the 20,000 a year bracket trust me lots of people in Devon and Cornwall would love to earn this much a year, try 10 to 12,000 and you may be more in touch, this is going to lead to a lot of trouble and you know it also why should people who have lived in their homes for 20yrs and put money into said homes move just because you think its right. you sneaked this in the back door and have not given any thought to the chaos you are unleashing on people who struggle already and as I have already said ARE WORKING you really are the sheriff of Nottingham

Reply Posted by violenthaze on Monday July 15 2013 at 00:28
what a wanker !! you obviously have no idea what its like to have a mental illness... people like you make me sick :(

Reply Posted by observer on Friday February 22 2013 at 12:16
its the govt. not the council. get them out...whats going to happen here is, they are foircing people out of homes. this could be your mother. or gran. for e.g. who met their childhood sweethearts years ago. they put their names down perhaps for a council house. married had the children, the kids grew up. got married and left home. the father or grandfather dies, and the grandma or mother is still there. awaiting her life to end with the passage of time. with all her memories in that home. everything she knew \ knows is in there. people are being forced to pay or quit. for what?...SO THAT EUROPEAN PEOPLE..I.E. POLISH. RUMANIAN. AND THE LIKES CAN MOVE IN WITH THEIR..!!! FAMILIES. its scandalous. it was the tory party who allowed the right to buy scheme to happen. now they dont want english people to be in them.

Reply Posted by LV on Saturday February 23 2013 at 00:07
The under occupancy doesn't actually affect Pensioners, only working age people. Also it doesn't affect the severely disabled if they have had structural changes to the home that would need to be changed for a new tenant and also changed in the person's new home to make it livable. A lot of EU nationals live in private rents and non EU immigrants are in homes supplied by the asylum services, not social housing.

Reply Posted by trev on Sunday February 24 2013 at 17:17
so true i agree 100% with you plus he wont let the council build new houses cam con as i call him his totally out of touch with the real world hospital,s will be next he wants them all to be private being a multi millionaire he does not no what its like to struggle on low income he his a 1st class pillock trying to get shut of clegg now todays news 24/22013

Reply Posted by angry on Friday February 22 2013 at 12:16
well if every1 stuck together dont pay nothing they aint got enuff prisons to put us all up lmao

Reply Posted by anon on Friday February 22 2013 at 12:48
i see mr burns didnt suffer depression whilst having sex ! with 4 kids from 2 diff partners hes cant suffer depression constantly

Reply Posted by Hard Worker on Friday February 22 2013 at 12:56
HAHAHAHA! WELL SAID!!!! HE WANTS STERILISING!

Reply Posted by marko on Friday February 22 2013 at 12:56
get em taxed!! i have one bedroom as its all i can afford, why should others get free spare rooms???? think theyre entitled to free 3 bed semi! well ya not but if youd like to keep it feel free to get a job then u can keep it! as for the elderly i do see that asking someone to move after 40 or 50 yrs in same house, could be the wrong decison however im sure familys could chip in in most cases and pay the extra :) or exceptions be made for over 70s x

Reply Posted by LV on Saturday February 23 2013 at 00:09
Totally agree with what you said, but the under occupancy doesn't affect affect pensioners - they aren't likely to be receiving anymore money than they already get so they can't be expected to pay more really :) people over 62 won't have the under occupancy reduction applied. :)

Reply Posted by Martin on Friday February 22 2013 at 12:57
I have two boys one is 2 years old and one is 13 and the council say I have to pay aswell as they can both go in the same bedroom that is out of line how can a 13 year old share with a 2 year old

Reply Posted by carl on Friday February 22 2013 at 12:59
camron you nob create the jobs and ppl will take em not just temp jobs or sesonal it was labour and torys who riped the heart out of our comunity in barnsley buy closing our industrys in the 80s ?? ohhh n buy the way if there is a minimum wage why cant there be a maximum wage for tossers like you ?? whatch the ppl stick it to you next election coz noone voted for any of you snakes shadey corupt lying arse holes bring in the mansion tax and cut the royal wages ??? did you know the kate top less pics holliday cost the british tax payer 19 grand a week more than some ppl earn in a year digusting aint it ??

Reply Posted by lyndon on Friday February 22 2013 at 13:17
Please tell me you dont actually think that was the prime minister?!

Reply Posted by Anon on Friday February 22 2013 at 13:20
Hahaha! bless him!

Reply Posted by ...... on Friday February 22 2013 at 13:22
did you ever go to school carl ?

Reply Posted by Mrs pay my own way on Friday February 22 2013 at 13:28
Well I completely agree with Mr Cameron. Get a job and stop blaming depression for sitting on your arse. As for "the council wouldn't let us have a 2 bed house" thats bollocks. You wouldn't have told them you had more children if you weren't trying for a bigger house. I get the point with the granny but there can't be that many people who were stupid enough to pay rent in the same house for 50 years and not use the "right to buy" scheme. Get a job and pay your own rent.

Reply Posted by Mick on Friday February 22 2013 at 13:41
Just got the letter today about changes to council tax benefit from April. EVERYONE of working age will have to pay at least 15% of the C Tax bill even if you have paid nothing in the past. That will be about £150 / yr in a Band A or Band B property. Pensioners are protected from the changes.

Reply Posted by LV on Saturday February 23 2013 at 00:13
I worked it out earlier - previously CT bills have gone up by up to 5% in the past, for a band A property the 15% charge (based on this year's bill + 5%) would work out at less than £13 a month.

Reply Posted by Mandy on Friday February 22 2013 at 13:48
I think it's about time the government really helped the people that work for a living.. Instead of helping outsiders, polish etc,,, this is also the reason English people. Are finding it hard to get a job,,

Reply Posted by Kpo on Friday February 22 2013 at 13:53
As it stands I will in no way be affected by room tax as I pay for everything my self. However, what if something happened and I ended up out of work. I would then have to pay this room tax. It was not completely my choice to live in a two bedroomed house, there was nothing els available. When looking for my home I noticed very few one bedroomed houses and flats and the ones that were up for rent were only available to ether people with medical needs or over a certain age. I always thought that the rent you pay for your property was based in the value of the home you live in. Wouldn't that mean that you are already paying for the "spare room" weather you are using it or not. This tax is ridiculous and is just another way of making poor people poorer. Yes admittedly some people take the mik as they do with everything but this will damage a lot of families. It is stupid to say that a teenager can share a room with a toddler! Eventually the teenager would be entitled to their own room and the house would be classed as over occupied. I really don't think the government think things through.

Reply Posted by Andy Smith on Friday February 22 2013 at 14:04
I am disabled with difficulty using my arms and legs. My Wife suffers with agoraphobia and can't leave the house. We have no choice but to rely on benefits and live in a 3 bedroom. Council
house because we're forced to sell our home as we couldn't afford to pay the mortgage when I was forced to finish work. We are already in fuel poverty as we have to miss meals so we can afford gas and electricity.

So while Mr Cameron & chums are sipping
champagne we will be wondering where our next me is coming from.

We already live in fuel poverty as we have to miss meals to pay for gas and electricity so the bedroom tax will make living virtually impossible. At the moment we have one meal a day, once the tax starts we wont be able to guarantee even that.

Reply Posted by lucy on Friday February 22 2013 at 14:17
Some of the comments on here are pathetic. The 1s on here saying i have this n i have that and i pay for it myself, well lucky you, you have a job u can afford to buy things yourself. Im disabled n cant work even tho id like to. I have a daughter who has to live with my mum coz im not always up to looking after her. I try my best to have her at weekends n holidays. i have a 2 bed ground floor flat. i feel like im being punished for being disabled. i dont want to b like this n i dont want to have to rely on the state for money but i have no choice. benefits r there 4 ppl who need the. some do take the p. but most need them. i dont drink or some or have a social life and im already struggling to pay for basic things. i dont no how i will cope when i have to pay 14% rent and 15% council tax. i might aswel b dead coz i cant have much less of life than i already have. youll probably like that tho coz its 1 less sponger.

Reply Posted by working mum on Friday February 22 2013 at 14:21
i have worked all my adult life and all i can say is thank god it has'nt turned me into the nasty vicious person that it seems to have turned some of the workers on here. as far as im concerned i am so grateful to have a job and my self respect that i will never let what someone else does or doesn't have affect my life.hopefully i will continue to go to work but for all i know i could go into work tomorrow to be told im losing my job,or worse still could be struck down with an illness that would prevent me from working and end up in the same position as a lot of these people,so for now im just going to carry on with my own life and if i can help genuine people along the way then thats fine.i might just need help myself one day.

Reply Posted by Mick on Friday February 22 2013 at 14:27
I tend to agree with you, there are some really nasty comments on both sides of the argument but I think that people like Daryl (who the article is about) who has 4 kids by two mothers and provides no support to any of them do show that some sort of limits have to be placed on benefits.

Reply Posted by marko on Friday February 22 2013 at 14:28
come on people lets not take things so personally of course aome people genuinly need the benefits and will struggle to manage, but those are few and i am sorry u will have to struggle but ul manage im sure cos ya benefits are set up so u can afford to jus get by! which is wat we all have to do, after paying your bills people expect to have something left well i never have a penny left out o my wages but thats jus life, we all have hardships and most of us will get thru, its not about individuals its about general fairness and the bedroom tax makes things fairer for the majority

Reply Posted by Samantha Siddall on Friday February 22 2013 at 14:53
The people who are criticising have no idea about there background,not everyone with depression is someone expecting to be carried through all there life! I have been signed off for 3 years with mental health problems,I am on medication,have had counselling and also therapy.I have tried to pull myself out of the hole with various small jobs which i end up losing due to illness.Also I started my first job the day after my 16 th birthday,went to college part time and had 3 voluntary jobs so this doesn't sit with me very well that all people with depression are work dodgers,don't tie us with the same brush,yes I agree their are a few like that but we arn't all like that!Don't be so quick to attack,it might be you one day,as you should know 1 in 4 will be affected by a mental health problem in there life so that means 6 of the people who commented could be affected,use your brains people!

Reply Posted by lyndon on Friday February 22 2013 at 15:15
Its just how they want it the working classes at each others throats. Theres stories like this everyday in the sun for why? Work it out for yourselves.

Reply Posted by Nicola on Friday February 22 2013 at 15:17
I suffer with depression and have 2 children, however I also work. Sometimes its a struggle but I believe that getting up and going to work while also taking the anti depressants helps me get up out of bed every day. If I didn't work or take the tablets I wouldn't get up or leave the house. I believe you have to have something to keep you going or you will spend all your time feeling sorry for yourself and depending on benefits to survive. Having depression is not an excuse for not working.

Reply Posted by J.J on Friday February 22 2013 at 15:27
HERE HERE! NICOLA!
I suffer from what was described by the doctor and physicologist's as SEVERE depression and have done for 35 years, Its never stopped me from working.....Not Once!

Reply Posted by marko on Friday February 22 2013 at 15:42
yes nicola finally some sense as opposed to self pity and excuses, bottom line as has been said on ere lots of people do or will suffer depression, if they all didnt work wer would we be!?? of course its not easy holding down a job with depression but if ya kids are not incentive enuff to do so then nothing will be!! sometimes jus gotta get on with it!! always some one worse off! some are genuine, however wexall watch enuff jezza kyle to know most are takin the mick!!!! same wi everything these days, have a bump in car, whiplash claims galore!! naughty kids, must be adhd, and now cant work cos am depressed, well its no bloody wonder its called too much time on hands, and yes before ya say it i knowxsome kids genuinly have adhd and thats proven i know, but tje 500% imcrease in diagnosis aint no coincidence

Reply Posted by Dib on Friday February 22 2013 at 16:00
Well said Nicola. I am also a chronic depression sufferer. I work and always have done. It gives me a purpose to focus on. Every day is a constant battle not to give in to lethargy. It doesn't take a politician to tell me that we have too many people dipping into the declining public purse. There are justified cases and sadly they are tarred with the scrounger brush because there are so many claiming benefits who shouldn't be. The country is on its knees and without welfare reform we would go the same way as Iceland (not the freezer food place!!) We need to get back to willingly helping those in genuine need and telling those who aren't to get off their backsides and support themselves.

Reply Posted by angry on Friday February 22 2013 at 16:21
if only depression was so easy to shrug off believe me speaking from personal experience it isn't. theres a big difference between feeling down and being depressed. the problem is too many people jump on the bandwagon. i spent 13 weeks in a psychiatric hospital was sectioned twice in that period for my own safety and have had 2 further breakdowns since. i dont get up and think oh i think i will be depressed today,believe me having to face the fact that youv'e got to face another day is no fun.yes there are people who could still work but there are some that have all on to even function as a human being.i heard all the wispers at work from colleagues about how they were having to do my job that it wasn't fair on them and that i shouldn't be working,which was probably a contributing factor towards my last breakdown,so ask yourself would you be more sympathetic and happy to carry someone else while they get paid

Reply Posted by angry on Friday February 22 2013 at 16:21

Reply Posted by Anon on Friday February 22 2013 at 16:36
By the sounds of your rants love, they should have kept you at Kendray Hospital darlin.

Reply Posted by Mick on Friday February 22 2013 at 16:44
Anon, you really must be a vile individual.

Reply Posted by Not Anon on Saturday February 23 2013 at 13:49
What a terrible, terrible reaction - WAB find the IP address and ban this person.

Reply Posted by marko on Friday February 22 2013 at 16:46
ha ha pmsl, the discussion has now dropped into self pity im off, happy chatting people im off art for me tea and im isinh me bedroom tax money, its either that or be depressed and yav all put me off nar xx

Reply Posted by Grim Reaper on Friday February 22 2013 at 17:06
The subject was about bedroom tax.

What people seem to be forgetting when ranting about this, is that the social housing provided for the unemployed etc do not belong to them. They belong to the tax payer. The workers whom the unemployed on here love to slag off. If you want to have spare rooms then go and buy a property and you can have as many as you like.
As for the man with 4 kids to 2 women who cant or wont work, he needs to stop having kids and sort himself out.

Reply Posted by angry on Friday February 22 2013 at 17:12
i may have my problems anon but at least im a decent human being with morals and respect for other people and marko the only ones i can see full of self pity are the ones moaning that somebody else as got more than them shame on you both

Reply Posted by angry on Friday February 22 2013 at 17:14
thankyou mick glad there are still some decent people left

Reply Posted by marko on Friday February 22 2013 at 17:22
shame on me for working and earning my money? speaks volumes that does and wat ive come to expext from people in our town,, dear oh dear ,

Reply Posted by Gem on Friday February 22 2013 at 17:48
I do believe that there are a lot of people on benefits that think having a Council House is their right. It has become a way of life for generations of people now. It's not a right, it's a benefit. I work, I pay a mortgage on a house. I don't have a massive house even though I would like one because I can't afford to pay for it. If people in Council Houses have spare rooms, but don't use them or need them, then yes they should pay for them. The same as anyone who privately rents or buys a property would have to do. At the end of the day those houses belong to the Council, not the tenant. I think a lot of people have lost sight of the fact that benefits are there to help people out when they are prevented from working - not just because they don't want to work, have never considered working or because it's not the 'done thing' in their family.

I do suffer with an illness that is classed as a Disability but I don't consider myself to have a disability because it isn't that bad yet. If the time ever came where I couldn't work then I would be very glad to have the benefit system to be able to fall back on. If the time came where I couldn't afford to house myself then I would be very happy to be given a Council House. But I would not expect a 3 bedroom house when all I require is a 2 bed, because it's not my right to expect that. Seeing as quite a few people on here are having a little pity party - I would just like to say that I have also suffered with depression. Some days I felt like I absolutely couldn't go to work. I felt like I wanted to drive my car into a wall to end it all. But you know what? I forced myself to get out of bed and go through the motions and I went. Because if I didn't go then my bills would not be paid and if I didn't have anything to get up for then there was no point in any of it. Depression is a hard vicious cycle that only the person suffering from it can break.

Reply Posted by angry on Friday February 22 2013 at 17:56
ive worked for over 30 yrs marko so ive paid my fair share but that does not give me the right to be disrespectful to anyone else. we all make choices and have to live with the choices we make and i dont see anywhere on my comment stating that i dont work do you. i was just stating that depression isnt as black and white as some people make it out to be and like to believe that the majority of people on benefits are there because of their situation and not through choice

Reply Posted by Self-respecting Worker on Friday February 22 2013 at 18:57
I don't understand the uproar about this 'bedroom tax', why on earth should anyone receive free housing or benefits? The best way forward from my point of view, would be to scrap the existing benefits system. If you want a house and money you have to work for it. If you are truly unfit for work then your family support you, if you have no family then you go into a community housing scheme. I would gladly pay taxes for community housing for the elderly and disabled. I am not happy to pay 20% of my income to a government that has its priorities in other countries, does not care for its elderly and vulnerable citizens, but does 'reward' certain elements of society with unearned income and free housing. We all have days when we want to lie in, get up for lunch, take the kids to the park, watch TV and just enjoy life, but the majority of us get up, go to work, continue contributing to society, and keep going until the weekend. If the option of living on handouts is not there, then no-one will take it.

Reply Posted by marko on Friday February 22 2013 at 19:27
many different opinions on this we all have our stance, however im off home, guna have a beer in the spare room, and get my monies worth

Reply Posted by Robdough on Friday February 22 2013 at 20:28
However you look at this bedroom tax there's only one thing for sure it's been put in place by this vile Con/Dems Goverment to get the working class to the unemployed to fall out and if nessasary hate thi neighbour. This bedroom tax also applies to hard working family's who may qualify for a little housing benefit and council tax help.

What's so important that people are missing this point if they live in PRIVATE LANDLORDS property this bedroom tax does not apply.

Reason most private houses particular in Large cities Like London etc, all over the country and by the way charge 10 times more rents than hear in Barnsley. Are OWNED by wealthy Tory voters so the government have said there pals can keep as much rent as they can for renting out there houses. But Local Authority's are penalised. Don't let us fall for the trick this Goverment is trying to getaway with there" bedroom tax"

Reply Posted by me on Friday February 22 2013 at 21:45
for your infomation private rental already pay the bedroom tax

Reply Posted by Robdought on Friday February 22 2013 at 22:23
Please can you explain how's that thank you

Reply Posted by LV on Saturday February 23 2013 at 00:32
private rents get a local housing allowance - not a bedroom tax, it is not affected by the amount of bedrooms in the property, only by the amount of people in it. You get a specific amount amount each week up to £57.73 for single single under 35, £69.23 for a couple any age or a single person over 35, £86.54 for a single parent or couple with 1 child/2 children the same gender under 16yo/2 children opposite genders under 10yo, The allowance for a 3 bed rate is higher but I don't remember it. In all honesty a lot of people will be better off if they lived in private rented accommodation.

Reply Posted by Robdought on Friday February 22 2013 at 20:38
Has the subject of Bedroom Tax & Immigration. I would like to ask people this are you aware in January 2014 the limitations on how many Romanians and Bulgarians is lifted.

Which means thousands and thousands can freely enter this country and live her use NHS Education Housing and Benefits.

The Government are trying to plat this down. Don't worry about Bedroom tax worry more about where's the billions of pounds coming from to accommodate these people and where are they all going to live.

Remember the minimum wage in Romania and Bulgaria is five times LOWER than this country. Who says they won't come in there thousands .

Reply Posted by ano on Friday February 22 2013 at 23:16
I just had t finish work after 30yrs to look after my hubby whohas agressive lung cancer .so i av been hit with this bedroom tax.i asked my employer for 16hrs but no its very hard for me and my family at this time .but id give anything t av a healthy hubby an go bk work and so would my hubby who done 22 yrs in the army

Reply Posted by Robdought on Friday February 22 2013 at 23:35
The sick and disabled are being crippled with this tax and perverse Goverment. Barnsley Coucil Labour controlled and more so local councilors should be making big noises. However they sit back taking the money and just surrendering. We need to stand and be counted Thatcher changed the Poll Tax people power can change the "bedroom tax" for all.

Reply Posted by Charles on Saturday February 23 2013 at 00:23
My strong advice to many of the people who have posted on here and who are unemployed, is to go back to school or college and get an education. It is obvious that you failed first time around. Why not try again in an attempt to improve your educational attainment and get yourselves in to a position where you are employable. Let's be fair, many of the people in this thread appear to be unemployable at the present time and will no doubt be expecting state hand-outs for the rest of their lives.

Incidentally, the country is just about bankrupt, chiefly due to the profligate spending of the last government. Where do you think the money is coming from for all of these handouts?

Reply Posted by lyndon on Saturday February 23 2013 at 10:42
So charles most of the people on this thread are unemployed or unemployable?! Astounding arrogance your either a typical tory or a wind up. And there was me thinking the country was bankrupt because of the greedy bankers

Reply Posted by Anona on Saturday February 23 2013 at 13:52
Lyndon, that's a bit naive and your lack of understanding of the basic written language doesn't actually disprove Charles' theory.

Reply Posted by Charles on Saturday February 23 2013 at 11:26
Lyndon: You really should read the comments before responding with such a ridiculous reply. I did not say that most of the people in this thread are unemployed. Neither did I say that most of the people are unemployable. Please read my comments again.

I am certainly not a 'typical tory' or a 'wind-up' Sometimes the truth can hurt, but you really do have to face the facts.

Barnsley schools have a very, very low level of educational attainment and until such time as we remedy that situation the town will continue to suffer. What we need is a well educated workforce and this along with other measures which the town needs to take should ensure that the area has a more prosperous future.

Reply Posted by lyndon on Saturday February 23 2013 at 11:50
You said many seem unemployable which amounts to the same. Agree with your views on education thats about it

Reply Posted by Charles on Saturday February 23 2013 at 12:01
Lyndon: It may amount to the same as far as you are concerned, but not to me the original poster.

Reply Posted by lyndon on Saturday February 23 2013 at 12:05
If you say so

Reply Posted by lyndon on Saturday February 23 2013 at 14:11
Terrible. Oh dear the intellectuals are ganging up on me, wounding

Reply Posted by angry on Saturday February 23 2013 at 14:52
im really struggling to understand how one man can turn so many normally inteligent nice people into the nasty, self obsessed, rude, heartless, me me me culture that we seem to be becoming. i used to be so proud when i went anywhere and people used to say that barnsley people were the nicest people you could meet, i wonder what they think now. all this hatred can't be good its being instilled into our children and grandchildren surely this can't be good for them i just pray that my grandchildren dont grow with all this hatred and venom thankfully iv'e brought my kids up never to judge someone they dont know and i for one will be doing everything i can to ensure it doesn't happen to my grandchildren

Reply Posted by stevo on Monday February 25 2013 at 20:36
Angry,
Ever heard of divide and conquer?
Tory Rhetoric,right wing tabloid propaganda labelling all unemployed/underemployed/disabled/social housing dwellers as scroungers.
Unfortunately some people cannot see past the end of their noses,the Tories are all about the rich keeping the rich richer and the people at the bottom rung of the ladder are the first to feel the pinch.
Labour are no better,they were set up by the Trade Unions to look after the average working man and the people on the bottom rung of the ladder and their greatest achievement over the last 20 years is becoming a shadow of the Tory Party or Tory Lite if you like.
What really dismays me is that the populous of Barnsley vote these Labour idiots in every time.

However,there are serious social issues in our town with alcoholism, drug dependancy and people being on the sick with depression accounts for a fare few people,i can speak from experience,depression is not a nice thing to have to deal with on a daily basis and was severely debilitating for me.
I had a good support team and saw the Community Psychiatric Nurse regularly and after treatment and counselling a saw the light at the end of the tunnel.
I still have down days,compared to those dark days these are pale in comparison.
What people forget is that depression is not a passing fad,it is an illness,with the right medication and support it can be beaten.
I know of at least half a dozen people who are "swinging the lead" saying they are depressed just because they dont want to and will not work.
Some of them are that depressed that they can go out to the pub every afternoon and evening and are that depressed that they can go abroad for two weeks every year.

Just so everyone knows,i have worked since 15 and have only ever been on the dole for a total of three weeks in the 30 years i have worked,even the days where i dreaded facing my work colleagues i would still get myself out of bed to earn a crust.

Anyway thats my two'penneth.

Back to the "Bedroom Tax" it is fundamentally and morally wrong but as i have mentioned further up in this post the tories dont give two monkeys at people who are at the lower end of scoiety (their exact words not mine).
The other question that people dont seem to ask is "why is there a shortage of one/two bed houses/flats etc"?
Simple,developers make far more money on houses with more bedrooms.

Unfortunately,people who have been in their council properties for decades and have brought their families up in them will be the real losers.

There are several Facebook groups regarding the bedroom tax and people are starting to organise protests i would suggest that people get involved as the only way we can fight this Tory policy is by strength in numbers.

The bedroom tax doesnt affeect me but i will be standing shoulder to shoulder with the people that is does affect.

Reply Posted by Tim on Saturday February 23 2013 at 17:45
There are many varied views on this emotive subject, some from people who are eloquent with there arguments and clearly from educated stock, there are also those that are quiet the reverse!
All views and the way they are put across have relevance and should be given the respect they deserve, which is to air there views and concerns without fear of ridicule, so for that reason I will not pick at individual statements some of which I think could be considered hurtful.
I think we all need to remember the reason that we are all at each others throats regards this and lots of other similar taxes/Benefits cuts is that it suits those in power for us to do so (too busy in fighting to see the real picture)
The politicians have failed to address the issue (All parties) that we spend more than we have and they lack the political will to sort it.....Why the lack of will? Because if any of them actually addressed the issue we would all be paying a great deal more tax than what we currently pay and benefits would be virtually non existent. The plus side of this would be that a few years pain would lead to a much better outlook for UK PLC. As the interest we currently pay would be saved and would be enough to provide 3 million jobs at above minimum wage and then we can all make the choice as to how many bedrooms we have..

Reply Posted by baronness M Thatcher (Lady) on Saturday February 23 2013 at 20:38
You scroungers in Barnsley need to invest in a bar of soap and then perhaps you may find suitable employment, as farmers and such, whatever you peasant folk can do. I agree with the Right Honourable Cameron when he said why should we pay for the leeches in this country. Good day!

Reply Posted by Jane on Sunday February 24 2013 at 09:12
Benefit system was set up years ago as a stop gap for people between unemployment. Unfortunately, it's been used and abused by some who have claimed for years as their way of life.

The government should have sorted it out years ago. For those who don t want to work and are quite happy choosing to live on benefits, I suppose we should just think "leave them to it" its the government to blame! They have let it continue for years. They have allowed people to do this and waste our money we put into the pot. No wander country is in such a mess!

It's not just about the bedroom tax, the people who choose not to work get most things paid, prescriptions, dentist, glasses. And for all those who choose not to work, and have chose to spend their benefits on drugs, we now must pay thousands on free methadone prescriptions!!!

Whether we like the present government or not, things certainly need to change!

Reply Posted by tracey on Sunday February 24 2013 at 13:31
i have a 14 year old boy and a four year boy and been told that i have to but them in same bedroom, but the 14yrs old has A,D,H.D and aspergers and for the safety of my 4 year old son they can not share a bedroom. i was told by the council that the government has made any provisions for children with disabilities, so i think government should re look at it.So come on Mr Cameron please make provision for people and children with disabilities when it comes to bedroom tax

Reply Posted by Aunt Hilder on Sunday February 24 2013 at 17:10
This thread just goes to show that the old tactic of divide and rule seems to be working. Those with only one bedroom attack those with a spare; those in work attack those out of work; the healthy have a go at the disabled; etc,etc,etc.

Lots more to come under the Welfare Reform Act 2012. By the time this is complete, Cameron and his Party will have the working class at each others throat while the bankers and business owners rake in the profits from a low wage economy.

The Poll Tax had people demonstrating on the streets, no sign of a protest with the policies this time round.

Reply Posted by Tim on Sunday February 24 2013 at 19:14
Apathy! The headlines hide the facts, we have 30 million people employed in some capacity in this country, creating wealth.. Why is it I am happy to share my good fortune with those less fortunate....Oh hang on I am the one unemployed, but having worked most of my life, when I need benefit i shouldn't need to run a gauntlet of abuse...But as Aunt Hilder says the idea is to divide the workers.....And the working class won't disappoint having a go at some one.....

Reply Posted by waitingforyou on Sunday February 24 2013 at 21:00
well said tim,,i worked for 28 years and sadly got run over by a drunk driver,i am now out of work due to spending 18 months learning to stand and walk again,i live in a 2 bed and i will have to pay for spare room,people on here commenting do not realise that some people need financial help and will suffer due to the laws

Reply Posted by may on Monday February 25 2013 at 10:54
i was brought up with the old saying 'if you dont have anything nice to say then dont say anything' ringing in my ears. it seems to me that a few people on here could do with adopting this saying and sticking to it

Reply Posted by rainbow on Monday February 25 2013 at 13:34
The problem in this country is that we have now arrived into a position where there are simply not enough fit people paying enough taxes for those poor unfortunates who suffer with bad backs and depression. Perhaps that's why we need more bedroom space to accomodate all the immigrants who will be arriving from Bulgaria and Romania to allegedly boost the economy.???

Reply Posted by Tim on Monday February 25 2013 at 23:35
rainbow there are 30 million people employed in some capacity in this country manufacturing, producing, servicing etc all paying Income tax, National Insurance contributions etc, companies that these employees work for all create wealth in the form of profits, taxes are also paid on these profits. We also have a retired population that are taxed on there pensions. We are taxed every time we spend at the shops through VAT, I could go on but I am sure you get my drift. We as a nation produce a great deal of income from effort and wealth for the government to distribute as they see fit.
I feel the real issue is the distribution of these taxes in a way that we all see a benefit for all and not a few. These few may be millionaires that get huge tax allowances that are disproportionate to the average earnings, they could also be people on benefits who we feel are taking the Micheal by exploiting the social benefits for the long term, i.e. a lifestyle choice, these as any Joe average would agree are not in the spirit of the game as we may say, although not illegal, they are certainly immoral.
As for people who genuinely need the states aid in times of hardship I am sure you would agree that whether it be a bad back, depression, loss of employment, bereavement and a host of other reasons, they have fallen on hard times, that we as a caring (also wealthy) nation should be willing to provide support whilst it is needed. The plus point to this is that as when the person needing the support is fit and well, in employment they will also be able to contribute. The alternative is the law of the jungle and let them fall by the wayside...... I for one would not want to see a member of my family or a member of my community suffer in this way and that's the reason we have a social safety net, Hospitals schools etc.
As for the injection of foreign workers in to the economy well that's another story, we should give our young people the proper training, employment opportunities etc then we may not need as many East Europeans the next time the economy picks up. That said importing forign labour is a great way to suppress wages when the economy does pick up

Reply Posted by Pheonix on Monday February 25 2013 at 21:11
Simple answer is start paying immigrants the same benifits that they get in there country and see if they want to come mlive in our country. And at the next election vote this leadership out and look to some one who is going to look after the british people ie ukip

Reply Posted by jon harper on Monday February 25 2013 at 21:14
Crikey i was only looking for advice as to where to go for a night out Friday and Saturday as i'm visiting my home town of Barnsley, from the frozen wasteland of the Lincolnshire coastal resort of Mablethorpe... but i think i've stumbled into bloody question time or something... anyone any ideas id appreciate it.. Jon

Reply Posted by Aunt Hilder on Tuesday February 26 2013 at 07:52
Good night out in Barnsley? Must be Sheffield.

Reply Posted by Tracy on Monday February 25 2013 at 21:25
Im a one parent family and have to work for a living,im not on a big wage but get no help with council tax or rent rebate half my wage goes on these two bills then when im looking for offers in supermarket to actually eat and watch what im spending and struggle to get to work in all that snow when people who wont work are cosied up in bed then i think they should be made to pay something and the government should help those who put into the system some leniency and help us out.

Reply Posted by Tim on Monday February 25 2013 at 23:52
Tracey, As a one parent family you should be entitled to benefits, Council tax rebate, maybe a contribution to your rent I am not sure as i do not know your circumstances, but as you state not on a big wage, have you applied for these benefits? Whether we agree with these benefits is debatable but if they are there you should apply for them. It must be very disheartening to struggle while some one seems to have it so easy. That said we don't know there personal circumstances and it may be that we are too quick to judge!!!!! Just a thought...

Reply Posted by vicki on Monday February 25 2013 at 21:33
my husband lost his job just before xmas having worked since he left school we are currently on benefits as wen he applies for jobs he is over qualified or ther wantin 16 yr olds that will work for less ,,,i agree with the bedroom tax to sum affect but i think it should be aimed at single people in bigger houses as why would you need the rooms has for people with children they need the room/rooms ,,,i am not affected by the bedroom tax but i am not against the council tax people on benefits get enough to live on so i am sure we can spare the £3.50 a week if not why just not cut back on that packet of cigs or less cans on a weekend .

Reply Posted by !!!!!!!!!!!! on Monday February 25 2013 at 21:47
I agree with this bedroom tax. I private rent. I go to work as well as care for a new baby with a life threatening disease that cannot be cured. My partner works away Monday to Friday to help pay our bills. When my daughter was diagnosed with the condition my partner was off work for a few month, we wernt entitled to any benefits so we struggled, as well as worry about our child's future. So why should people that choose to sit on their arse and get everything paid for when we work our butts off to pay for it.

Reply Posted by Worker on Monday February 25 2013 at 22:45
It appears it is now acceptable culture to live your entire life on benefits, the offspring of these people have never seen their parents go work and do not grasp this as a concept. What chance have they got! There going to have kids and the cycle continues.

If I want a spare room , I have to get a bigger mortgage. If want a new 55" 3 d TV I have to work more hours. People need to understand nothing life owes you nothing, you have to work for everthing. Most people get out of life what they put in to it. We are breeding a society of life long benefit claimants and not enough working people paying there taxes to cover the cost of benefit ! What are we going to do !

Reply Posted by Charles on Monday February 25 2013 at 23:19
People praised the last Labour government when they introduced the minimum wage. How foolish they were to believe that such a measure would be to the benefit of the working man. Quite simply in many areas of society the minimum wage is now the benchmark for millions of jobs. Labour, acting in the interest of the working man.....you must be joking.

Reply Posted by Liam on Tuesday February 26 2013 at 22:16
What's my excuse? I suffer with depression, and saw psychiatrists and have done since I was a teenager...I work in a rehab unit, a care home and volunteer at the hospital as well as study? Way I see it, I'm helping myself by helping others...

Reply Posted by rejects on Wednesday February 27 2013 at 02:36
ACTUALLY if most of you that are doin the bitchin look it states she is on an apprenticeship (TECHNICALLY THATS STILL WORKING) and yes it says he has depression and doesn5 work it doesnt state he gets benefits as he doesnt and yes I know thqt for a fact as I know them! And im not been funny bu5 it wouldnt suprise me if half of the people been so arrogant and vile dont actually work but are using it as an excuse so that nothing is said to them while the jump on the bandwagon and act like sheep! JUST SAYING!

Reply Posted by Bob on Wednesday February 27 2013 at 10:29
Rejects: I know that you are 'just saying' but what are you just saying? Are you an immigrant who struggles with the english language or were you playing truant on days when they were teaching english? Get a grip and get an education.

Reply Posted by Help on Sunday March 24 2013 at 18:35
The original article is about a very young woman , only 20, on an apprenticeship, 2 of her own children, plus her partners children part time. I know the partner has depression but I really hope he's getting help and looking to get better and go to work. Depression never goes completely, I started with it about 20 years ago, but I have always worked. When it first hit me I was suicidal, my employer was very good and I had 3 months off work, and I can't remember those 3 months. After 3 months I knew if I didn't go back to work then, then I never would and we desperately needed my wage. I went back to work and it has saved my life. I still have dark times but I've learnt to manage them. I manage them myself, I know what I need to do.
Anyway back to this young woman, her partner really needs to get help or dig deep, get work and help this girl out, they are clearly struggling.
Work keeps lots of people going, many many people who suffer depression work.
I am 53 and apart from those very very dark 3 months, I have worked since I was 16, so thats 37 years.
Good Luck to this family.

Reply Posted by Sir know nothing on Friday July 12 2013 at 12:07
We are looking at the wrong people here.
The goverment are the biggest bunch of crooks around. FACT
While we give millions in foreign aid ??? We have ex servicemen living on the streets and hungry.
While we give free medical help to non nationals ?????? go abroad and see what you get there ? A BIG FAT BILL.
~While they sell off our assets to the highest bidder we still get nowt.
And don't get me started on the dirty thieving bankers..........
Good luck to these people I hope Karma helps you out