St Michael's Celebrates Last Year

Thursday October 6 2011

St Michael's Dome St Michael's Dome

A COMMITTEE has been set up to mark the last year of a Barnsley secondary school before it is demolished next year.

St Michael’s High School will be closed next year to reopen as Holy Trinity and members of the St Michael’s Association are hoping to pay tribute to the legacy of the school before it closes.

They are organising a series of events under the banner “Goodbye St Michael’s”, which will give current and former pupils and staff the opportunity to say goodbye to the school building with its iconic domed chapel.

Sharon Etheridge, Parent Teacher Association secretary, said: “We are expecting a few teary eyes as people come along to say goodbye to the place they spent their formative years, it will be very emotional to see the bulldozers tearing it down.”

A new school is being built on land adjacent to the current site and will open in September 2012 - it will see Holy Trinity become a school for three to 16-year-olds following the merger with Holy Cross Deanery Church of England Primary and St Dominic's Catholic Primary Schools.

Did you go to St Michaels? What are your best school memories?

Reply Posted by Sltaylor1202 on Thursday October 6 2011 at 12:40
I liked helping out at the Ceilidh fund raising events and becoming a prefect.  My favourite teachers were Mrs Seers (form tutor and English teacher), Mr Latham (Physics) and Mrs Montgomery's accent (Maths)  I couldn't understand a word she said half the time :)

Reply Posted by Amanda Owen on Thursday October 6 2011 at 13:44
I left there in 1979 and must say i really enjoyed St Michaels, it will be sad to see it go but the memories will live forever.  I had Mr Clay as a form teacher throughout my time there and he was a lovely guy.  Mr Nessworthy for English, Mr Danforth for Geography, Mr Beasley for History and Mr Ling for maths, i think he replaced Mr Boris but not 100% sure. It was always fun to go to school and i had some wonderful friends there it would be great to get in touch with them again, so looking forward to a reunion.

Reply Posted by Joanne on Thursday October 6 2011 at 13:55
it was Mr Door but was nick named Boris ? don't know why, rumour was he was a wrestler ! !

Reply Posted by Kerrywheeliker on Thursday October 6 2011 at 15:21
the best teacher ever was mr tricket he was brill,i remember we burried a time capsule,so thay shud find that whn pulling the school down

Reply Posted by Ells8888 on Thursday October 6 2011 at 15:31
Mr tricket was a ledg !! And so was Mr O Sullivan !! I have so many memories of the place , it's hard to know where to start . Gonna b a sad day when they pull it down , especially as my kids go to St Dominics now x

Reply Posted by Lisacorrigan70 on Thursday October 6 2011 at 18:17
I taught science there about 10 years ago. I was Mrs Hobson then. Lovely school and staff. Ian Beasley is a legend !

Reply Posted by stevenb on Saturday July 21 2012 at 01:08
Mr Beasley tought me history these two years honestly top man

Reply Posted by William keena on Sunday May 6 2012 at 07:44
I went there in 1994_99 I was St Michaels personality of the year 1997 nearly made a professional footballer had a great time there

Reply Posted by steven burkinshaw on Saturday July 21 2012 at 01:05
proud to have been a part of the last year 11 leaves of ST micks went back to help pack up really emotional for all met lovely people there and all the staff were immence sad news that it was the food tech teachers retirement i am sure she will be sadly mist by past and present alike on my part THANK YOU ST MICHAELS <3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Add new comment
Your email address will not be visible to other users of the website when you leave a comment.