Food Bank Opens Its Doors

Monday February 18 2013

BARNSLEY town centre's first food bank is set to open its doors to people in crisis.

The bank will be distributing food every Thursday from 11am to 1pm at Gateway Church, Mottram Hall, on Mottram Street.

People using the service need a voucher available from Barnsley Citizens' Advice Bureau, Berneslai Homes, Barnsley Council's Connexions service or the council's Homeless Prevention Service.

Christians Against Poverty and South Yorkshire Credit Union also have vouchers, as does the pastor of Gateway Church, Mark Reasbeck.

He said: "We are offering this service in view of the deepening financial crisis. We know there are food banks elsewhere in the area, such as Kendray and Goldthorpe, but this is the first in the town centre."

Reply Posted by Lee Pyne on Monday February 18 2013 at 17:49
Nice to see people thinking about other people that need help and not wanting nothing in return well done food bank

Reply Posted by J Allott on Monday February 18 2013 at 18:04
Hi is there any way we can donate food or even money to the cause x

Reply Posted by Neil Morris on Monday February 18 2013 at 20:48
Hi

I am Neil Morris - Trustee and Community Worker (volunteer) of Gateway Church - my mobile is 07736449976.

You can check me out at our website www.gatewaybarnsleyorg - any support would be welcomed .

We have a voucher referral system in place and several partner agencies who will be issuing them to protect the system against abuse.

If anyone wants to support this new venture please get in touch.

Reply Posted by Alice MacDonald on Monday March 18 2013 at 13:57
Hi Neil,,,How do I become a volunteer?

Reply Posted by TC on Monday February 18 2013 at 18:17
Really good to see something that will help the working poor & those who have lost their jobs & are struggling. I hope it doesn't get ambushed by the career benefit claimants.

Reply Posted by catherine dodd on Monday February 18 2013 at 19:18
Great news! And really welcome for people in the town. There is an increasing amount of ordinary people struggling to put food on the table. We see this through the food ministry that we run from Wath Salvation Army. To those wondering about donating food, by guess would be to contact Gateway Church and someone would be happy to advise.

Reply Posted by Jayne on Tuesday February 19 2013 at 20:10
Do you have to be on benefits to get these vouchers?

Reply Posted by Lisa on Wednesday February 20 2013 at 09:54
Wonderful that we are able to offer this support to families living in poverty however I do feel this will be abused by as TC stated and rightly named them 'career benefit claimants' which is a shame for those that genuinely need this support.

Reply Posted by emma on Wednesday February 20 2013 at 11:04
I think It's great that working people who pay taxes / do their 'bit' for society but fall into financial crisis are now able to get help. For far too long we have supported people who can't be bothered to work. I hope that this provides some support for the people who really need it and not the CBA (can't be arsed) amongst our community.

Reply Posted by mick on Thursday February 21 2013 at 09:07
Is this place open today??

Reply Posted by m a h on Saturday April 13 2013 at 15:45
I think this is a really good way of supporting them that need it I've recently had two of my brothers come to live with me I am disabled and without services like this I wouldn't be here I would be in hospital as I haven't to have food to take my medication with thankyou

Reply Posted by Yvonne on Tuesday May 14 2013 at 17:41
Hi Neil I have prayed about this for a long time those in great need has been on my heart for months, we prayed yesterday morning and was talking about how we could help as a Church so at the PCC meeting last night it was passed that we would tell folks in church on Sunday that we were going to start collecting food and have a box at the back, it is a great cause and I only hope that those of us that maybe not struggling as much will give generously. Please let us know what sort of food you want I know it cant be fresh fruit or vegetables.

Reply Posted by Vaughan Hill on Thursday November 21 2013 at 08:21
Although I may have to make use of the food bank in am more than willing to volunteer my services to help

Reply Posted by kirsty bennett on Wednesday April 22 2015 at 09:51
hi i am kirsty bennett i have no food in at home dont get pad were do i go for food

Reply Posted by Ali on Friday May 1 2015 at 10:25
Why is there an advert for booze delivery alongside the description of food banks ? Unbelievable!!

Reply Posted by Sue Williams on Saturday October 24 2015 at 22:31
I have some clean duvets which I no longer need would they be any use to any of your clientele?

Reply Posted by Pete Firth on Thursday February 11 2016 at 16:38
I have recently retired and feel like I still have something to offer to those less fortunate than me (not that I'm a millionaire or anything!!) How can I get involved with your organisation please.