Town's Egyptologist To Present BBC Series

Monday February 18 2013

Joann Fletcher Joann Fletcher

A BARNSLEY-born Egyptologist is to have a starring role as presenter of a BBC2 documentary.

Dr Joann Fletcher is stepping into the shoes of presenters such as Professor Brian Cox, to make the subject interesting in 'Ancient Egypt: Life & Death in the Valley of the Kings' which starts on the week of March 11.

She aims to smash the stereotype of "yet another old bloke talking about history on the telly," although previews say her Barnsley accent will ruffle feathers in what is traditionally a 'posh' subject.

She attended the town's Girls' High School and the Sixth Form College before going on to University College, London.

She said: "We've been brainwashed that Egyptology is the preserve of the Home Counties but in fact, Sheffield, Leeds and Harrogate have the most brilliant collections of Egyptian artefacts."

Reply Posted by Robert on Monday February 18 2013 at 15:34
Another Barnsley person entertaining the world with professionalism and education. Well done and make us proud.

Reply Posted by Steve on Monday February 18 2013 at 15:35
I can't be the only one who looked at this picture and thought there's a T-Rex joke in there somewhere...?

Reply Posted by lyndon on Monday February 18 2013 at 18:38
i thought leo sayer must be touring egypt. Well done 2 her tho about time we had more barnsley accents on telly. "ayup av jus fon an owd spooin"

Reply Posted by Mick on Wednesday February 20 2013 at 21:29
She?

Reply Posted by c on Sunday February 24 2013 at 18:25
I thought it was a bloke lol
Well done though :)

Reply Posted by Steve on Saturday March 16 2013 at 21:11
Yes, the lack of pink, blonde hair and a helium-induced voice required of a female by some, apparently optically-challenged, and perhaps cave-dwelling, males says much about our still unenlightened society (or perhaps it is simply that there are no longer free eye tests available??!).

Reply Posted by Jayne Bramley on Saturday September 6 2014 at 20:34
Well done to her. I very interesting and informative program, I thourouly enjoyed it.

Reply Posted by anon on Saturday September 6 2014 at 20:49
I really like the programs that joann has made so far. She's not pretentious and you can tell she loves Egyptian history with a passion, as do I. I'm so jealous,I wish I was in her shoes. I can't see why her Barnsley accent would ruffle any feathers? She comes across as knowledgeable and better still,warm. Her previous programs seem to make history come alive, and the imagination run riot. Brilliant!