Council House Rent To Rise

Friday February 8 2013

COUNCIL house tenants in Barnsley will see an increase in their rent from April.

The decision was part of recommendations made in the Housing Revenue Account Draft Budget 2013/14 report which explains how the council has to follow the government’s policy which will determine the rent levels for future years.

The average weekly rent increase for Barnsley Council tenants in 2013/14 will be £4.06.

The council will continue to be able to deliver the Barnsley Homes Standard programme of works to ensure that the housing stock is maintained.

Cllr Linda Burgess, said: “This rent increase is regrettable but Barnsley has had historically low rents. This has now been made impossible as we have to be in line with government policy to bring council house rents to the same level as Housing Association rents.”

Reply Posted by me on Friday February 8 2013 at 09:54
rents go up-then extra for room tax--evrything goes up but council still dont do ya repairs leave you in houses that need windows n doors as wind blows in --gale force curtains/blinds move but ya who is going to pay our heating bills then

Reply Posted by X on Friday February 8 2013 at 19:28
Buy your own house then ! Pay for your own maintenance like most of us do !

Reply Posted by me on Friday February 8 2013 at 09:58
it in from barnsley council........ housing benefit 1 bed room free 14% 2 bed room free 25% of your rent and Council tax Benefit 15% pay of your council tax..all coming in 1st April 2013
note this is only of you get your rent and council tax pay for you. if you own your own home you dont have to pay this and if you pay your rent and council tax too so only if you get it pay for you!!!

Reply Posted by pluto on Friday February 8 2013 at 10:00
well another shock thn it for tentants ,rent rise and thn bedroom tax ..... wht u trying do 2 make ppl homeless ..... its a gud job cardboard boxes are FREE from shops init ..... because at this rate more and more are guna end up on streets ...,some of these council homes arnt worth higher rent some propertys are a total disgrace ......

Reply Posted by sally millard on Friday February 8 2013 at 10:10
get a grip people.. there has always been an annual rent increase so nothing new there just a bit higher than previous years but if you were in housing association properties you would have already been paying higher rent so consider yourselves lucky to have had an easy ride.. as for bedroom tax get an even bigger grip never have i heard so much whinging, the council have a preset for housing benefit for private and council tenants council tenants have always had full rent paid but private and housing association have only ever had an allowance towards their rent based on how many beds they need so again nothing new there. THE ONLY THING HAPPENING IS THAT COUNCIL TENANTS ARE BEING BROUGHT INTO LINE WITH HOUSING ASSOCIATIONS HOW DIFFICULT IS THAT TO UNDERSTAND SO STOP MOANING AND GET A GRIP ITS HAPPENING DEAL WITH IT

Reply Posted by Tom on Friday February 8 2013 at 10:13
In 2001 the government came up with 'target rents'. Based upon a combination of 2001 property valuations (weighted 30%), and local rents (70%). Target rents have increased above RPI inflation by 0.5% every year for 11 years now. Housing association properties have hit target rents, some council properties have also hit target rents. Rent's can rise by above RPI+0.5% by up to £2 a week per year until target rents are achieved.
Target rents then continue to increase above inflation. Cllr Linda Burgess is wrong. Both housing association rents and council rents are forced to rise above inflation because of the way target rents have been set.
These rent rises are a triple whammy for workers - it pushes up social rents and affects workers in social housing, this in turn pushes up LHA rates which in turn push up private rents which affects workers in private rented housing. The increased LHA and HB benefits rates must be paid ultimately by workers.

What with money being diverted to the non productive economy, workers in turn lose the ability to earn money.

These rent rises affect all of us, and they do nobody any good, except privileged people working for housing cartels and landlords, who can up their rents and make more money without having done anything productive.

The CEO of Bernselai homes (a supposed 'affordable housing' landlord) is unable to define 'affordable' with respect to rents, taking into account workers income or the minimum wage.

These rent rises will adversely affect the purchasing power of people in the borough as more money is spent on rent, this will in turn hit business in the borough as people have less to spend.

The above inflation rent rises need to stop, and there needs to be a debate on 'affordability'.

What is an 'affordable rent'?

Last year, 93% of new claims were from people IN WORK. Workers are increasingly being forced to rely on benefit so that they can afford a roof over their head.

Reply Posted by KPO on Friday February 8 2013 at 10:54
I make around £800 a month and that's working 30-40 hours a week, the more I work the more I get taxed so I always end up getting paid about the same. I am also a student. This increase is going to make my rent almost £80 a week. Then my council tax is £60 a month and that is after spreading it through out the whole year. Oh and thats on the increase. Gas and electric have gone up and I am now paying at least £50 a month for each. (AT LEAST) The water prices are also increasing and that already cost me £48 a month. Then bus and taxi fairs have increased so getting to work is now costing around £76 a month. Then there's food, contents insurance and general bits. My point here is that there is many people who are already on less money then me and they have families to look after too. All these increases are going to push people out of their own homes.

Reply Posted by X on Friday February 8 2013 at 19:31
£80 a week and your moaning, get real, a £320 a month mortgage wouldn't get you a garden shed !!!!!!!!

Reply Posted by What? on Saturday February 9 2013 at 16:14
They are not 'their own homes' they are rented !!!!

Reply Posted by LV on Monday February 11 2013 at 19:47
your rent is £80wk for council house which is periodically maintained and repaired when needed, my rent is £80wk for a private rent that is full of damp and mould and would everyone the world of good if it was knocked down! your council tax is £60mth, mine is £90+ because I live with my partner who is struggling to find work. If you're spending over £50mth on gas and electric I suggest you switch. My partner is in the house all day totting up the electric, the heating is set to come on for up to 9 hours a day and our bills are less than £80mth for both. our water rates are £25mth. Seriously if you can't afford where you live move into somewhere you can! The fact you have a lower CT charge makes me think you live alone, no mention of kids, why don't you move into shared accommodation or have a friend move in with you to cut the cost. They're not trying the push people out of their homes, they're trying to force people to be more responsible, live within their means and live in a house that is suitable for their situation, i.e. not living in a 3 bed house detatched house if you're on your own.

Want the luxury of a nice big house that you can be really proud of? Work harder, get a better job, save your money and buy one!

Reply Posted by bob on Monday February 11 2013 at 19:54
£80 a week is £346.66

Reply Posted by bob on Monday February 11 2013 at 19:56
get on to your landlord then, like we do, except our landlord is berneslai homes. and dont complain about your property and tell others to buy their own home when you need to work harder to buy one by the sounds of it

Reply Posted by bob on Monday February 11 2013 at 19:56

Reply Posted by IL on Wednesday February 13 2013 at 19:17
LOL you are Nasty, ppl try to cut cost all time what the Student above said is: all bills go up but no slack from Government , I have lived in all types of housing, doesn't matter if Mortgage, priv rented or Council as ppl call it, when there ain't jobs or if one relies on damn benefits which then get cut to save money by one and the same Government. and god knows how everyone thinks you get repairs done by COUNCIL if they rent a property they'll have to ensure they upkeep the standard of housing or get billed just like in priv housing, or on mortgage ;If you f**k up you pay for it. and about living allowances we all live soon of bread and beans if so called SAVERS from Government carry on wanting to reduce debts rapidly, even the EU said to many cuts in UK we don't want to buy there now we get it cheaper somewhere else. WE are on OUR KNEEE'S ! and god knows how you manage to pay only 80£ on gas and electric and water haha standard rates are 40 quid for water, and gas and electric are all gone up on 18th jan , It will never go down Rest assured yes ppl can swap but not everyone can you need to be debt free with your current one which I can only imagine most aren't. And if you have Mould and damp you should give your landlord a kick up arse it's a health hazard.( can cause Asthma) as well take your own good advice and find a cheap healthy accommodation. On another note you could get a de humidifier machine and that will dry your place out ( probably always put washing on radiators) and for responsibility ppl on doll -jobseekers for instance have to attend their appointment , same as on every other benefit, if you don't turn up you get a sanction, same as a job really which most ppl probably would prefer to have , but unfortunately can't get due to cut backs more get on the doll ( see Barclays bank cut 3700 jobs etc), so we all pissed with what is going of we all in same boat !! "What's for tea love?" " Beans on Bread" " what we had that yesterday!? ! " no love, we had bread on beans"

Reply Posted by maz on Friday February 8 2013 at 12:19
it'll just mean more first class travel for council and less repairs for tenants

Reply Posted by angry on Friday February 8 2013 at 16:45
can i just point out to sally millard that not all council tenants get full rent paid,i for one don't and why,because i worked all my adult life untill i became too ill and because i paid my dues for over 35 years i wasnt entitled to income support so people don't automatically get all their rent and council tax paid when they are on benefits

Reply Posted by trev on Friday February 8 2013 at 21:22
well after living my life in australia i was contemplating returning to my birth place for my last few years, after reading the comments think ill stay here ,enjoy the sunshine,pay reasonable pro rata rent and get repairs done without question,Shame to see the old country in such decline, good old pollies and councilors still enjoy their perks huh?

Reply Posted by trev on Friday February 8 2013 at 21:23

Reply Posted by Jane on Friday February 8 2013 at 21:58
I have to buy a house what ican afford. I would love a spare room!!!! For all those out of work dnd get their rent paid button it!!!!!

Reply Posted by Tina on Saturday February 9 2013 at 08:28
wow r rent is going up again i have worked for the council now for over 12 years in one of the lowest paid jobs and to save money they froze our wages so no pay rise for us for 4 years to save on redundancies maybe now we can get the pay rise we deserve haha whats the chances of that happening ??

Reply Posted by L on Monday February 11 2013 at 19:51
getting 1% pay rise in April (not much but it's something) and getting increments back. Tbh why don't you train up some more and be adventurous, you might surprise yourself at what you can get :) I pushed myself to apply for the job I'm in now because I didn't want to be stuck where I was forever, it paid off :)

Reply Posted by Taxpayer alliance on Sunday February 10 2013 at 21:43
To cool off from the increase in rents we could always visit the town hall fountains-wonder what this will cost - lot more than the rent increase I guess.

Reply Posted by LV on Monday February 11 2013 at 19:54
the fountains are Lotto funded through a grant given to BMBC. Council rents aren't set by BMBC or paid to BMBC. Fact is the cost of services are going up, Berneslai Homes still have to pay people and pay for the products they use when repairing the homes.

Reply Posted by Mike on Saturday February 23 2013 at 21:44
I dont think I would be as bothered about the rent increase, but i havent had a wage rise in over 5 yrs, Infact i have just taken a huge reduction in wages so that i can keep my job, so politicians please do the maths for me as i cant figure it out, utillities (water,gas,electric, etc) have gone through the roof in price hike, so has petrol, so has food, in general the cost of living has got out of control, My question is,..just how much more do you want from us, or how much more can we take, Like i said, i cant figure it out