Upload a photo Upload a video Upload an mp3 Upload an event

News


Gadgets Giveaway Prompted By Shock Fire Statistics

Wednesday February 6 2013




A BARNSLEY electronics shop is backing a fire service bid to make people aware about the dangers of electrical fires.

Shock figures released last month showed two thirds of South Yorkshire residents risk a fire in their home by dangerously overloading adaptors and extension leads, whilst three quarters leave equipment switched on overnight.

South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue launched their awareness campaign last week, and to encourage more people to get involved they're offering prizes to those who take part in their awareness quiz.

The prizes are all being donated by Wath-based Maplin Electronics and the competition is being promoted to customers by its Peel Centre superstore in Barnsley.

Diane Malpass, head of community safety, said: “Fire safety isn’t even remotely present in the minds of most people. That’s why we’ve got to try something different to get people to switch on to potential dangers in their home."



Leave a comment
comments powered by Disqus
1 Showing 1 comment

Reply Posted by Mick on Wednesday February 6 2013 at 14:34
..but only if you use Facebook!