GCSE Tables Released For Secondary Schools

Monday February 4 2013

SECONDARY school league tables published reveal three of Barnsley's schools do not meet the preferred yardstick for the number of pupils achieving five good GCSEs.

At Dearne ALC and Shafton ALC only 37 per cent of pupils achieved five good GCSEs, and Carlton Community College ranked worst in the town with just 35 per cent.

Barnsley Academy, which was the most improved in Yorkshire in 2011, dropped from 55 per cent to 42 per cent.

Holgate, which merged with Kingstone to form Horizon Community College, showed some improvement with 54 per cent, up by nine per cent on 2011. Kingstone however dropped two per cent to 43 per cent.

On a brighter note, Penistone Grammar School ALC ranked top in the town again with 62 per cent of pupils achieving five good GCSEs, despite dropping three per cent from 2011.

The results follow news in November that Barnsley has the worst performing secondary schools in the country, according to an annual published report by Ofsted.

Reply Posted by Diane on Monday February 4 2013 at 11:51
My daughter goes to Shafton ALC, it would be interesting to know what they're going to do to increase this number, because as a parent I sure as heck want my child to leave school with the best education and grades possible! I hope by changing the school status into an Academy will help increase this number........let's see shall we??

Reply Posted by Michelle on Monday February 4 2013 at 12:48
My daughter also attends Shafton ALC and I am not surprised by this at all. She hated Maths last year and wasn't allowed to attend extra classes because they were only for those doing well?? She has a new teacher this years and is doing so much better. She has another teacher who either doesn't show because she forgets she has a class or tells them they can go. The Head of that school focuses too much on standards of dress and a dictatorship rather than standards of education. The kids even get punished for wearing coats from class to class when its cold. The results say it all!!

Reply Posted by david on Monday February 4 2013 at 13:07
A lot of problems in this area is kids don't want to learn they want to go to school and have a laugh and don't think about anything else that also impacts on kids who want to do something with there lives as lessons are disrupted because of the other kids doing things like messing about on there mobiles nothing will Change in schools untill kids learn a bit of respect

Reply Posted by greenginger on Monday February 4 2013 at 16:32
Barnsley schools have always been rubbish when it comes to tables and achievement. Why do we think they would improve under a coalition government and still a labour council? Too many adults in Barnsley with poor educational backgrounds passing on a poor idea of education to their kids. What goes around comes around.

Reply Posted by Parent on Monday February 4 2013 at 19:12
Please keep in mind the problem with gcse English, they have allowed students to resit but won't change the league tables so the data shown will not be correct.

Reply Posted by Barnsley Blade on Tuesday February 5 2013 at 16:39
I'm sorry, but that is ridiculous. The English GCSE issue will only have a minute effect on the results shown. A great percentage of the kids who took GCSE English took it in January last year before the tightening of results and it was only covered C-D grade so if your child got better than 50% correct , that's only half of all the available marks they would have got a C, these results show that in a school like Dearne ALC only 37% of the kids got half of the marks over probably only half of their exams. A shocking indication of how Barnsley, schools
parents and teachers perform.

Reply Posted by katie on Tuesday February 5 2013 at 10:19
Kirk Balk had the Highest ever recorded A ans A* in the last academic year.... due praise to the kids and staff at a truly wonderful and happy school x

Reply Posted by anon on Tuesday February 5 2013 at 10:38
I have to disagree with you soon lightly katie! I wouldnt say kirk balk is truly wondetful and happy school!.my two daughters attended that school and are in different years. The amount of times my daughter has come he from school upset because of trouble ftom other students and the teachers dont do anything about it.not to mention the fact that if I ring up AGAIN to complain my daughter Will be put in ISOLATION!!!.But it is a happy school.

Reply Posted by Erica Beaumonr on Tuesday February 5 2013 at 10:54
Highest ranking at 62% is not good enough. As a teacher I send my son to Independent school. You shouldn't have to pay to receive a good education.

Reply Posted by Jamey Griffiths on Tuesday February 5 2013 at 11:13
Our oldest child goes to CCC and its officially proven the worse school in Barnsley and the head teacher has the nerve to tell the children off because of the shoe's they wear because there not propper school shoe's even though she was wearing boots same as my partner wears for the office, like thats going to improve their grades. This school is a joke i think i'm going to look into getting her into a different school now.

Reply Posted by concerned mum on Tuesday February 5 2013 at 16:56
shafton ALC is an absolute joke my son started there last september and in 5 months has apparently gone from being way above average in english and maths to supposedly needing extra help in both these subjects, and he isnt the only one who was classed as an high achiever who are now supposed to need this extra help. how the hell can this happen in such a short time,

Reply Posted by disgusted on Wednesday February 6 2013 at 08:17
Sorry but i think horison is disgusting they rate when a child starts in that year 1to 500 to where they think hiw good they are what about late developers if that child knows hes let say 490 he or she will think why shiuld i bother school dont beleive in me so why should i

Reply Posted by Horizon on Wednesday February 6 2013 at 08:41
To the comment about horizon, I go to horizon and the rank from 1-500 Is for behaviour for learning, it's for the combined scores of all of your behaviour rankings in all of your subjects. Nothing bad at all.

Reply Posted by ollies mum on Wednesday February 6 2013 at 10:48
Personally I wouldn't recommend CCC my daughter attended there for two years she wasn't meeting the national average in any of her main subjects. She now attends Barnsley Academy and is exceeding national average in all subjects this to me says it all about CCC!

Reply Posted by Harpers-Witch on Wednesday February 6 2013 at 11:17
I totally agree with Green Ginger

Reply Posted by 2110 on Wednesday February 6 2013 at 11:26
I think it shows that the grades produced are highly in coralation with the areas they are in. Children need to have the right attitude and support and in the areas surrounding the lowest acheiving school. In my opinion the school is not all to blame, if parents were more interested in their childrens educationm rather than packing them off to school on a morning, the grades would improve. I attended CCC and because I, and my family cared about my education, I got the support i needed. I left with 12 GCSE A-C's. CCC try their hardest to work with children, but with the attitude most of them have, what can they do? The more they force them into working, the less the children will want to do.
People have got to want to learn, or it just wont happen!

Reply Posted by Leevy on Wednesday February 6 2013 at 12:01
There was nothing wrong with most of Barnsley's schools in the 60's until Labour decided to improve things with comprehensives. The result was that Holgate, Barnsley Girls High, Broadway, Worsbrough High were reduced to the lowest level. Well Done Labour..

Reply Posted by parent on Wednesday February 6 2013 at 15:12
Leevy, if u really think that Labour policies are anything to do with 'failing' schools nowadays u must live in cloud cuckoo land... havent u realised by now ALL parties pee in the same pot? Have a read of 2110's comment cos they got it more sussed out then u ever will

Reply Posted by karl on Monday October 5 2015 at 21:32
My daughter goes to barnsley accademy and has come on leaps and bounds thanks to the dedication of her and staff well done she is now year 10