Elsecar Park Cafe Reopens

Friday January 18 2013

Brian Hudson and June Turner Brian Hudson and June Turner

THE CAFE at Elsecar Park has reopened after the controversial departure of the previous tenant over a year ago.

June Turner’s application to run the café was picked from dozens of others and she has been given a five-year lease for the business.

Her partner, Brian Hudson, is planning to get the park’s nine-hole pitch-and-putt course and crazy golf area open for visitors.

She said: “Working at the park is a passion for me and brings back happy memories of time spent here when I was growing up.

"It's very important to get the cafe back up and running when you see how many people have been using this park with no cafe and complaining they want to have a cup of tea.

"I came here as a kid, I brought my children here and I still walk my dog here so I do use it a lot."

The cafe was closed in November 2011 when previous tenant, Francis McDonald, had his lease terminated after firing a shotgun to scare of troublesome youths in the park.

Reply Posted by CazzyB on Friday January 18 2013 at 15:53
Am so glad cafe now open, its a lovely park during the summer.

Reply Posted by Michael on Friday January 18 2013 at 16:44
As afairly regular visitor to Elsecar Park I am pleased that the cafe has re-opened and wish June and Brian every possible success with their new venture. It is just a shame that it has taken Barnsley council so long to make an appointment.

Reply Posted by Lee on Saturday January 19 2013 at 09:49
I have spent many summer days in that park with my partner and two children, its so nice to see that someone has been willing to take the cafe on and give it a new lease of life, I certainly will be using it once the warm weather is back with us! And i wish Brian & June all the best in their new venture!

Reply Posted by janet on Sunday January 20 2013 at 17:41
great to know cafe will b opening again soon, just hope its reasonably priced as it was before. this park needs the cafe good luck June & Barry

Reply Posted by lianne bell on Sunday January 20 2013 at 21:20
So so pleased its re opening good luck to you guys x

Reply Posted by joyce@roy dixon on Monday January 21 2013 at 20:28
have been and it was so good to see so many people enjoying the park in the wintery conditions we are sure that june and brian will provide a great service to all the people that will use the park in the future