'Danger' Dolls Recalled By Trading Standards

Wednesday January 2 2013

The dangerous 'fruit head' dolls The dangerous 'fruit head' dolls

LOCALS have been warned to be on the lookout for 'danger' dolls that are said to contain poisonous chemicals.

The fruit head dolls - which have been sold as stocking fillers in the run up to Christmas - are subject to a Europe-wide product recall after it emerged they do not meet the toy safety standards.

Traces of the poisonous chemical phthalates was found in the talking plastic dogs - which can cause cancer, deformities in unborn
babies and death.

Any shops stocking the dolls have been informed to send them back to suppliers and anyone who may have bought one have been advised to return it for a refund.

We Are Barnsley was contacted by scores of WABers this morning asking for more information on the fruit head dolls - many were found in shops in Blackpool.

Reply Posted by jade on Wednesday January 2 2013 at 11:40
Omg! My daughter has one the strawberry head one gone straight in bin!!!

Reply Posted by nathan on Wednesday January 2 2013 at 12:16
My one year old daughter as one the green one mum jus put it in the bin .

Reply Posted by Kelly almond on Wednesday January 2 2013 at 12:58
No mention of me that posted this then?! I posted this on items for sale as I'd seen them for sale on there.

Reply Posted by Nicky WAB on Wednesday January 2 2013 at 14:05
Hi Kelly - I'm afraid we didn't see the post on 'Items For Sale' as that isn't our page. We did however receive several messages and posts on the We Are Barnsley wall about it which can be found here: www.facebook.com/wearebarnsley.

Reply Posted by amanda simpson on Wednesday January 2 2013 at 13:40
i am not happy why would they sell em if they was not checked out i got 2 1 for my friends little gl and 1 for my grandaughter who mum is due for aving baby on 14 feb its made me feel sick its not on mine defo going bk

Reply Posted by kay on Wednesday January 2 2013 at 13:47

y wud any1 make toys like that wen they no they cud kill people especially kids pathetic poor kids that av 1

Reply Posted by Stacey on Wednesday January 2 2013 at 14:03
Omg my 2 girls have got these from xmas last year :-(

Reply Posted by gina on Wednesday January 2 2013 at 16:02
So what happens to the ones that av got these dolls? My LG as had hers since April do we need to get them checked

Reply Posted by eysa on Wednesday January 2 2013 at 16:22
Cant b that bad weve had ours ages n not died lol

Reply Posted by Amy on Wednesday January 2 2013 at 17:19
My girl had one over a year but I am not risking it. It's going

Reply Posted by Jodie wake on Wednesday January 2 2013 at 17:52
I got my lg the strawberry one defo getting shut x

Reply Posted by charlotte on Wednesday January 2 2013 at 19:46
my daughter got two of these dolls from skegness back in august do you know if these fall into the ones being recalled x

Reply Posted by tez on Thursday January 3 2013 at 14:46
i got mine from skeggy in april last year are these ok

Reply Posted by Carl on Wednesday January 2 2013 at 20:51
Provided your baby doesn't swallow about 8 of them, i'm sure they'll be fine, but manufacturers have got to cover their backs in case someone does decide to eat a crate full.

Reply Posted by Jordan on Wednesday January 2 2013 at 22:23
I got my daughter one of these for Christmas! It's been in my house since October! I am binning it!! Luckily she's not old enough to miss it and hasn't really played with it just unwrapped it so yeah BIN!

Reply Posted by corinne bland on Wednesday January 2 2013 at 23:29
why the hell are these dolls only just being fully checked over? but yet there being sold childrens toys need to meet every safety standard first! my daughters had one for a year sitting on her bed this is disgusting im taking it back to the shop tomorrow i dont want a refund but will be putting in a massive complaint and im sure they'l be many more doing the same! vile people should do there jobs properly!

Reply Posted by Linda on Thursday January 3 2013 at 06:55
My 6 year old has 5 large & 3 small ones of these dolls purchased in St. Helens merseyside are they all the same

Reply Posted by Linda on Thursday January 3 2013 at 07:03
Mine was made in china are they the ones that are recalled

Reply Posted by sarah on Thursday January 3 2013 at 12:46
they are being recalled world wide and the comment 'Cant b that bad weve had ours ages n not died lol ' is abit out of order would you really take the risk with a childs toy

Reply Posted by sally lidster on Thursday January 3 2013 at 13:06
my husband bought my grandaughter one from spain last year told my daughter to bin it

Reply Posted by graham on Thursday January 3 2013 at 14:50

Reply Posted by clare on Thursday January 3 2013 at 15:27
My mam and dad brought two back from benidorm for my daughter and niece in december.my daughter sleeps next to it. NOT HAPPY.GETTING RID NOW. :(

Reply Posted by bella on Thursday January 3 2013 at 16:58
Do we need to seek medical advice as our granddaughter has1 @as been playing with this

Reply Posted by janine on Thursday January 3 2013 at 17:33
my daughter was given one of these for christmas but it was purchased in blackpool and we live in the south so I have no way of returning it to the store. Is the aywhere i can return it to or do i just bin it?

Reply Posted by A on Thursday January 3 2013 at 19:07
RAPEX has released details of plastic dolls in the Czech Republic containing excessive levels of phthalates. The head of the doll was found to contain 21.8% by weight of the phthalate DEHP. According to REACH regulations the phthalates DEHP, DBP and BBP are prohibited in all toys and childcare articles. The dolls, which were manufactured in China, have been withdrawn from the market.

Reply Posted by paula on Thursday January 3 2013 at 20:44
I got my daughter 1 for xmas off dudley market west mids its now in the bin !!

Reply Posted by Amanda on Thursday January 3 2013 at 20:58
is there any information from trading standards on the exact dolls are there are many different variants - i have looked on the trading standard website and these dolls are not listed as a product recall? Just wondering where the "official" information can be obtained

Reply Posted by Lauren Donnachie on Sunday January 6 2013 at 17:27

Reply Posted by paula on Thursday January 3 2013 at 22:04
i so angry my daughter got the strawberry head one my mother-in-law brought it her and not long after we found out my mother-in-law has got bone cancer could this of cause it ?

Reply Posted by kirsty on Friday January 4 2013 at 02:34
Got my little girl one 4 xmas have binned cant belive this!!!! People selling thses should be in trouble!!!

Reply Posted by Louis sharp on Friday January 4 2013 at 08:51
My mum bought my 2 year old LG one in august when my youngest LG was born she hasn't played with it that much but it has been in her toy box with the toys she does play with could they be contaminated.? It is defo getting threw away if not burned!

Reply Posted by santosh on Friday January 4 2013 at 09:20
cant say that all dolls having this problems . some of factory use bad material in dolls to sell in cheap price but some of factory use good material accr. to the standerd of toys . so cant say all have these problems . you can check the safety standred certifications which the supplier must have and that can make you satisfy

Reply Posted by Amanda on Friday January 4 2013 at 09:38
I did a little research on this last night as i was quite concerned - the issue is if the doll is ingested or "mouthed" which is constant sucking - it is similar to the inflatable water toys that have parent supervision on them they have this mark as well as water safety to ensure the children do not suck on the rubber rings etc - so there should be no issue of contamination or breathing anything in it is just if sucked on on or ingested - it is quite easy to reaserch and would suggest that if anyone is concerned they can do that - also just a little add on - the shop keepers are not in the wrong for selling them they are buying them from suppliers wit CE markings on in the understanding that all toys are safe so the blame goes futher back the chain than the mere shop keeper - lets bear in mind that actually a LOT of toys that are imported are NOT tested they could never keep up with this they only test a certain amount of the toys ....

Reply Posted by Kerry on Friday January 4 2013 at 14:21
My monster in law bought my little girl one for her Christmas( Hi ISABEL) It's in the bin

Reply Posted by KELLY BROWN on Friday January 4 2013 at 15:50
IV JUST SPOKEN TO TRADING STANDARDS ALL DOLLS ARE BEING RECALLED. NOT ALL COUNCILS ARE AWARE AS WORD IS STILL ONLY JUST GETTING OUT, BUT IF ANYONE IS WORRIED THEN RING THIS NO AND MENTION FRUIT HEAD DOLLS AND THEY WILL ADVISE YOU 08454 040506 XX YOU ARE ALSO ENTITLED TO FULL REFUNDS X

Reply Posted by Sharon on Saturday January 5 2013 at 08:55
Kelly did trading standard tell you what to do if you dont have a receipt anymore??

Reply Posted by samantha on Friday January 4 2013 at 16:30
Hiya Linda, Im in St Helens and got my daughter one of these dolls but cant remember now which shop it was from were was yours from? This is terrible news

Reply Posted by sian smith on Friday January 4 2013 at 17:58
I have only found this out today after buying my daughter one back in Aug last year from skegness which she loved and took everywhere with her even took it with her to bed and played with it for so long, it makes me feel sick that these dolls have been found to contain such chemicals and i brought it her at the time of 18 months old, it is now in the bin and luckily she hasnt asked for it yet until bed! as a parent that many of you will agree is that not only thinking if a toy is age appropiate for your child but how and what it is made of! i hope all the shops markets and people or have these dolls depsose of them or take them back to the shops and this warning should not be ignored im certainly pleased i have heard of it but after 5 months is a long time for it to be issued!

Reply Posted by sam on Friday January 4 2013 at 23:05
I too am shocked that people would make a childs toy that could cause damage and harm its sick and wrong..... I also brought one of the strawberry ones in Aug last year from Skeg WHILE pregnant for my unborn daughter and it sat in her cot in her nursery untill the other day when a family member saw a post in fb and remembered that my now 4week old lg had one of these.. it is now in the bin and thank god my lg was born healthy and is still a happy healthy little lady... People who make toys that are harmfull for the quick easy and cheap should be ashamed of them self...

Reply Posted by marianne on Saturday January 5 2013 at 15:14
My mum bought 3 of these from a local market stall and no longer has the receipt am I still entitled to a full refund?

Reply Posted by carla on Saturday January 5 2013 at 16:26
Hi my 10 month old daughter got 1 bought for her at Christmas and shes played with it everyday and as a baby she has had it in her mouth do I need to seek medical advice for her??

Reply Posted by Kim on Sunday January 6 2013 at 01:38
OMG My daughter has the strawberry one this is REDICULAS! They should NOT have been sold in the first place! FUMING!

Reply Posted by mhairi on Sunday January 6 2013 at 05:14
omg i have bought 3 of these one we left in our caravan and one we were going to give to our grand daughter for her xmas and another for a present but she spotted it so we gave her it earlier, she has been ill for a while now taking blackouts and seizures and she stops breathing when this happens i only hope this has nothing to do with me giving her that doll.

Reply Posted by Avril on Sunday January 6 2013 at 11:41
These cheap foreign made toys are always at risk of something , like fireworks , electrical goods etc .. people should always be wary , ,, but never leave a child playing on its own with things that have hair , stuffing, small parts etc ..and definately don t put them in their cots .. its common sense really . Foreign countries are not law bound to put danger warnngs on .. but things with spikes , animals with long hair that comes out , beaded decoration, theyre all dangerous even to older kids ..x

Reply Posted by sian on Sunday January 6 2013 at 12:48
i had a watermelon given to my daughter at christmas. Which was brought in Northamptonshire, and have also been sold at market in wellsbourne

Reply Posted by claire on Monday January 7 2013 at 05:45
The dolls should all be handed in to trade an standards, if you bin them there is a chance another child might get hold of it! Seal the doll up in a bag and ring your local trade and standards they will test the doll and dispose of it properly. Or take it back the shop you bought it from and they will send it to them.

Reply Posted by LINDA on Tuesday January 8 2013 at 21:57
I MUM BOUGHT MY DAUGHTER ONE FOR XMAS FROM ASHTON THEY ALSO SELL THEM IN HYDE :-( THIS IS SO BAD !!!!! I JUST WONDER IF ITS SAFE PUTTING IN BIN AND NOT GOING COUNCIL OFFICE WITH THEM A.S.A.P X

Reply Posted by JOANNE on Wednesday January 9 2013 at 11:11
MY CHILD ALSO RECEIVED THE STRAWBERRY ONE AS A GIFT I HAVE CALLED FOR MORE ADVICE AND SOMEONE IS CALLING ME BACK FROM TRADING STANDARDS AS MY DAUGHTER HAS HAD HERS FOR OVER A YEAR NOW.

Reply Posted by marie on Wednesday January 9 2013 at 11:36
I brought one for my daughter over 2 years ago i phone trading standards and asked gor my advice they just call me back telling me to either send it back to shop or bin so as i bought it in blackpool and luve in brum the bin it is .

Reply Posted by stacey on Thursday January 10 2013 at 02:32
My 1 year old daughter got the strawberry one as a gift at xmas and she's had it in her mouth .... Do I need to seek medical advise... I'm terrified!!

Reply Posted by Manny on Thursday January 17 2013 at 22:27
I always saw that these dolls were for aged 3 & over, so why does a 1yr old have this doll and in her mouth when you know that's dangerous itself? Why buy something which is not appropriate for kids age and complain? I do hope she is fine.

Reply Posted by Sasha on Wednesday January 16 2013 at 19:52
Omg i cant believe this my daughter has one an was sucking on its hand what shell i do its defiantly going back!

Reply Posted by John ( s.o.t. ) on Wednesday January 16 2013 at 20:51
we got one for our daughter when she was 2.half she is 4 now we got it from benidorn not a happy man it is now in the bin!!! ( s.o.t.)

Reply Posted by rach bailey on Wednesday January 16 2013 at 22:36
Its sad i try to protect my children in every way possable so when things happen like this it sickens me . Glad i got away with the tesco burgers though

Reply Posted by kriSsy on Thursday January 17 2013 at 19:09
Does anyone get compensation for this?!

Reply Posted by Alison Anderson on Friday July 5 2013 at 21:23
July 2013 dolls are still all over east gate market skegness alarmend when I saw 2little girls cuddling them this week

Reply Posted by julie campbell on Monday July 15 2013 at 08:24
bought one on skeggy market on thurs then was stopped by another toy trader and he told us they were banned and very dangerous. told us the other guy should not have sold it. we went back to the stall and he said the dolls he was selling were safe and been checked. who do we believe? getting straight onto TS today.

Reply Posted by audrey on Tuesday December 17 2013 at 09:48
I bought 3 of these dolls 2 years ago, for my LG she has never played with them, iv had them hanging on her wall in her bedroom. I bought them from Warrington one of those carts in the mall, not sure what to do with them, i don't want to put them in the bin because anyone at the tip could be unaware and take them home, is there anywhere i can take them

Reply Posted by david brookes on Sunday December 29 2013 at 13:29
bought two of these dolls over two years ago from great Yarmouth for our two twin grand daughters.

Reply Posted by Carol on Friday January 10 2014 at 17:43
Just returned from spain where we brought one back for our granddaughter, haven't given her it yet and dont intent to, only found out when I sent my friend a . Picture cos it was driving me mad singing!