Girl Attacked On Way Home From School

Monday December 24 2012

AN 11-YEAR-OLD girl attacked by a gang of girls who burned her PE kit and waved lit cigarettes in her face is now too afraid to go home from school on her own.

Gina Cropper, 11, of Thurnscoe, was walking home to Low Grange Road, Thurnscoe, from Wath Comprehensive school when she was approached by four girls.

They asked Gina to 'slap them' but she said no. The gang of girls then started pulling at her bag before taking it from the youngster and rifling through it.

"I kept telling them I've got to get home, my mum's going to be worried about me," said Gina.

"One of the girls took my bag and they started looking through it, saying they were looking for something.

"I told them not to, then one of them started looking through my purse while the others set my PE kit on fire.

"It was scary, they were putting cigarettes in my face and I started panicking and I felt really sick."

She managed to grab her belongings from the girls and run away, but the ordeal has left her frightened.

Gina's step-mum, Laura Clegg, was shocked to find out the incident happened just five doors away from where they live.

"She's only 11 and new to the area as we've only been here since January. Gina was in a bit of a state by the time she got home. It's awful what they did and I'm going to be meeting her after school from now on to make sure it doesn't happen again."

Ms Clegg said the police have been informed and a police community support officer has spoken to Gina.

A spokesman for the force confirmed it is investigating the incident.

Reply Posted by Facebooker on Friday December 28 2012 at 13:46
Always been same in Barnsley police do nothing

Reply Posted by Believer of Bob on Friday December 28 2012 at 14:16
if that happend to my kid, id find out those girls n do exact same to them
now u know why tony blair back in day wouldnt pass the law to say u couldnt smack a kid, coz when there doing stuff like that
they really need a belting
but yeah too many do gooders in this country
if they do get caught
its be a NO COMMENT situation

Reply Posted by Semiscot on Friday December 28 2012 at 14:45
I agree entirely. I don't know what this country is coming to. This is why kids are like they are nowadays, they are not getting disciplined. When I did wrong I got belted twice, once from the teacher and once from my dad.

Reply Posted by Kay on Friday December 28 2012 at 14:32
Wishing the young girl well.
Just hope the girl can stay strong and not too scared to hopefully single them out.
Wonder how the other girls are feeling now. Let hope for pay back on these wicked girls x

Reply Posted by Jo on Friday December 28 2012 at 16:39
This is terrible. We must do more as a community to promote good behaviour and stop bullying.

Reply Posted by Sarah on Friday December 28 2012 at 16:39
How can you say that knives should never be used wish the girl well and the bullies should be ashamed

Reply Posted by donna on Friday December 28 2012 at 17:22
That just proper decusting them girls shud be ashamed of thier selfs and need punishing

Reply Posted by angie on Friday December 28 2012 at 18:27
I,m so sorry that your daughter has had to experience something like this it,s awful .But just to let you know ,these bullies are in a minority .Most kids in this area are nice kids .So please dont let this put you off us in Barnsley .

Reply Posted by Robert on Saturday December 29 2012 at 11:54
We have no deterrent ... this nanny state doesn't protect the bullied. My daughter recently was bullied by 12 rampaging youths because of what music she likes. They harrassed her on the school bus and then she had to run into a town shop for protection! The solution... hardly worth mentioning! They managed to trace 3 of them, tell them off and said nothing else! I agree that NO ALL at bullies and this is a minority, but we seem to have FEREL children, making life hard for the rest. Where is the solution? It is in corporal punishment. It needs regulating, but we must have something other than a simple telling off... My opinion, obviously.

Reply Posted by mel on Tuesday January 1 2013 at 16:02
has she got a big sister .anno if it happened to my 11 year old her big sister would be doing same to them nasty thats wot they are need a taste of there own medicine.....hope little girl is ok

Reply Posted by andy on Tuesday January 1 2013 at 16:09
my son got bullied at school and lost half his hair thru it coz he was the smallest in his year i told him next time it happens pik out the leader n wrap a chair round his head in which he did the others left him alone after that the main bully stopped bullying n my son got a detention well worth it oh and his hair grew back these girls need gettin 1 by 1 coz once the leader falls the others will do the same

Reply Posted by tracey on Wednesday January 2 2013 at 17:07
i hope the young lady is alright,
i know how the family is feeling my son is been bullied at school and is too frightened to go to school and hasnt been for the last 7 weeks because of it,
i wish all the school would stop saying that there is no bullying in there school when there clearly is a problem and get it sorted. x