Thousands Of Winter Survival Packs On Offer

Thursday December 20 2012

Volunteers braved cold conditions to pack the free survival kits Volunteers braved cold conditions to pack the free survival kits

THOUSANDS of winter survival packs are on offer to Barnsley's most vulnerable and needy families.

The 4,000 packs include include a blanket, gloves, hats, socks, porridge oats, and an alarm to make people aware when a room drops below a certain temperature.

They have been built up and will be distributed by volunteers through Voluntary Action Barnsley after statistics show that 140 people die of winter related conditions caused by being too cold every year in the borough.

The winter packs will be given to the elderly and struggling families and have been paid for out of a  £206,000 grant from the Department of Health.

Voluntary Action Barnsley is taking referrals from voluntary and community groups who will refer individuals who need the packs.

EDITED TO ADD: VAB has asked us to clarify this story after having numerous phone calls from individuals. Due to high demand, they will only be given to those that are referred through a community group.

More information from Lorna Lewis at Voluntary Action Barnsley - 01226 320100.

Reply Posted by Stan on Tuesday December 18 2012 at 14:41
A great idea but what is classed as elderly. Both my wife are in our 70s but I don't class myself as elderly others may.

Reply Posted by Mary Higgs on Tuesday December 18 2012 at 15:55
That's great but do not think I will 1 what aged do u have 2be am 63

Reply Posted by dene on Tuesday December 18 2012 at 16:07
were can you buy the alarm from, would love 1 of these ,

Reply Posted by sophie on Tuesday December 18 2012 at 22:50
Dose anyone know where these alarms can be bought?

Reply Posted by andeea on Tuesday December 18 2012 at 23:01
If you are disabled do you qualify too?

Reply Posted by karen on Wednesday December 19 2012 at 09:12
Im on a very low income abd have qualified for the home warm scheme through my gas supplier but dont get my allowance until between jan-march. Ive just moved into a new house 3 weeks ago and its absolutly freezing and costing me £70 per week alone for gas and electricity. I would like to know how you qualify and how many are offered because if limits are low i would rather do without and give more of a chance to the elderly as i really feel for them this time of year.

Reply Posted by greenginger on Wednesday December 19 2012 at 20:18
@karen

It is stupid that they give the money out after the event but I query why you are paying so much for fuel. How big is your house? I live in a four bedroom house and we are a family of five and we pay nothing like that. Do take advice about how to cut costs because that is just mad.

Reply Posted by anon on Wednesday December 19 2012 at 21:09
These packs are a great idea.

Reply Posted by sweet on Thursday December 20 2012 at 16:13
thats way too much im paying 15 a week on gas and 20 on elec and my house big 22ft living room and 1 of my bedroom 22 ft long as well and i do waste elec with tv and computer games , house like black pool illuminations tumble dryer on like nobodys buisness ..... there something wrong there

Reply Posted by Dawn on Thursday December 20 2012 at 18:09
I agree with both above i live in a large 4 bed house use dryer etc an do not go cold and we pay approx £20 a week. There is definatly something wrong here.Are you on a prepayment meter if so get them out to check it you could be paying a previous occupiers debt off x

Reply Posted by greenginger on Friday December 21 2012 at 20:05
I have read loads of similar comments on here about people spending loads on heating. I am like you spend about £20 a week on gas and electric and have heating on all the time. Plus loads of hot water, cooking, gas fire and tumble dryer.
There is something wrong if folk are paying a load. Makes me wonder if it pre payment meters stacked with money owing from previous bills being unpaid are the problem.

Reply Posted by Mrs k on Saturday December 22 2012 at 10:17
How would I get one of these for my nan shes 82 and lives on her own and cant hardly walk she doesnt go out of the house