News » WAB Debate

Are Qualifications Enough To Secure A Job? A WAB Debate!

Tuesday December 18 2012

A COUNCIL watchdog has been told that qualifications alone are not enough to secure a job in the tough economic climate.

Barnsley Council’s Economy and Skills Scrutiny Commission was told the massive competition for jobs has led to employers demanding much more from applicants - looking at attitude and things like time keeping on top of traditional qualifications.

What do you think? Are qualifications enough to secure a job? What more can job hunters do to successfully be recruited?Join the WAB debate by having your say in the comment box below.

Reply Posted by Anon on Tuesday December 18 2012 at 12:31
Qualifications tend to get you through the door to the interview. Experience and personal qualities get you the job.

Reply Posted by guesty mcguest on Tuesday December 18 2012 at 16:10
having a family member that already works at the council can usually get you a job there.

Reply Posted by Loren on Friday December 21 2012 at 14:35
It seems experience counts for more than qualifications to me.
I have a degree in Economics and a post graduate qualification but cannot get a job anywhere. I have experience in retail but feedback from interviews is generally you can't improve your interview skills they are fine it's just you have no experience.

Reply Posted by magpie on Friday December 21 2012 at 14:40
its wrong my son went to collage for 3 year he is now a fully qualified chef and superviser he has applied for loads of jobs never got them because they all said the same thing you have no experiance sorry

Reply Posted by Anon on Friday December 21 2012 at 20:34
but how are we supposed to get experience if no-one will even let us through the door so basically we r in a no win situation. no experience so can't have a job but no-one is giving us the chance to get any experience.

Reply Posted by greenginger on Monday December 24 2012 at 15:47
You need so many qualifications to be able to apply for a job. Companies set them too high. Then they expect young people to have experience which is not realistic and dont want to employ older people because their skills are out of date.
Seems to me that employers know they can be picky so they are. Plus jobs have changed. There are few council jobs regardless what people on here state. There are no or few new companies investing within South Yorkshire as businesses flood south closer to London. Hence no public sector jobs.
The jobs being advertised locally have changed too. They are mainly carers for kids with SEN or the elderly, cleaners, drivers or teachers. Part timers are offered school dinner lady jobs or Avon. Crap really.

Reply Posted by greenginger on Monday December 24 2012 at 15:48
I meant private sector!!

Reply Posted by chris stagg on Saturday December 29 2012 at 00:18
One answer, make your own business, that's what am planning to do.

Reply Posted by Liam on Sunday January 13 2013 at 17:50
I worked in restaurant trade for 6 years and just secured a job at a care home with having no experience just get interview practice, but jobs like chefs where your job majorly can determine profit ina restaurant with the quality of food experience is essential!

Reply Posted by Anon on Tuesday February 5 2013 at 11:37
Academics can be enough to get you a job but most of the time it will not be the job that you want! I have 12 GCSEs, A levels, a degree and previous experience in the relevant sector. I can get a job, but not necessarily one which utilises my academics or one that I want.

Where the qualifications are from, what they are in, your employment history, your personal attributes and interests all, now, count towards your job application, right from the moment you send your CV to the company.

I know that if I was given the opportunity of the job which I want, I would be fantastic, but its difficult finding someone to give you the break. And it is a lot about 'who you know, not what you know' unfortunately!

Reply Posted by Zanzibar Quest on Saturday March 2 2013 at 22:10
Oooo giz a fook about GCE's.
At end off day u's can get free monies by bein ont book wiart avin to hav a job. I worked fort council when r came back from Polksa I gots no monies. Now without work I has monies. What is point?