Man Escapes Prison In Benefit Fraud Case

Friday December 14 2012

A MAN who claimed his wife was his landlady so he could falsely claim over £11,000 in benefits has narrowly escaped prison.

Wayne Saxton, 52, of Cross Street, Barugh Green was investigated by the council’s Benefit Investigation Team after he submitted numerous claim forms and documents claiming his wife was his landlady who lived out of the area.

He appeared before the courts after being interviewed by police.

A spokesman said: "Barnsley Council believed that the tenancy between Mr Saxton and the woman had been created to claim housing benefit falsely and that Mr Saxton had no liability to pay rent.

"The court was told that Mr Saxton knowingly concealed his marriage to the woman at Gretna Green in November 2009, and had claimed housing benefit totalling £11,437.97, for the period June 2009 to April 2012, to which he was not entitled."

Mr Saxton was ordered to serve 13 weeks’ imprisonment on each offence, to run concurrently, suspended for 18 months.

He was made the subject of a Community Order with an 18 months’ supervision requirement, and a 20-week curfew requirement to be restricted to his home address every night between 9pm and 6am.

He was also ordered to pay court costs of £300.

Reply Posted by king louis on Friday December 14 2012 at 15:14
so he takes £11,437.97 and pays back £300.....mmmmmh may try this myself

Reply Posted by Stan on Friday December 14 2012 at 15:15
How come this guy gets off when IIsley got sent down for claiming expenses

Reply Posted by guesty mcguest on Friday December 14 2012 at 15:33
Stan

Because the law picks and chooses who to punish.

Illsleys was a beauty other mps have done the same and worse but not been punished either.

Reply Posted by dene on Friday December 14 2012 at 15:35
he should have gone its stealing ,,, send him to a far a way island ....

Reply Posted by peter on Friday December 14 2012 at 20:38
No wonder the Tories are looking at benefit cheats, which of course affect genuine claimants, bet his neighbours love living next to a cheating t---

Reply Posted by anon on Friday December 14 2012 at 20:46
no wonder with people like this the umemployed are slated by the working people and deserving unemployed are all tarred with the same brush its disgusting he only has to pay £300 back its people like him that the government should target and hard

Reply Posted by Powpow on Friday December 14 2012 at 23:02
Actually. Prison is for the offence. It will have to be ALL paid back.

Reply Posted by Amanda on Sunday December 16 2012 at 16:27
£497 per month housing benefit?? that is ridiculous!! I think I ought to split from my husband and get my mortgage for me at that rate!!!

Reply Posted by monkey on Sunday December 16 2012 at 21:41
makes me sick, me and my husband have 2 kids and 3 jobs and we would neva do this, seems to me these people claim enough cash as it is!!!!!!!!