Free Christmas Parking Offer Clarified

Wednesday December 12 2012

A FREE parking offer that has been put on to encourage shoppers is only valid after 4pm on Wednesdays.

Barnsley Council is offering free parking in the car parks and street bays it runs from 4pm on Wednesdays ONLY.

But confusion amongst shoppers has caused many to assume the free parking offer is all day.

WABer Barry Smith asked us to clarify the position after he parked up in town today and a well-meaning passer-by told him parking was free.

Coun Roy Miller said: "Christmas is an expensive time of year for everyone and we hope that this offer of free parking will help reduce some of the financial pressure on the public. It’s also a way of supporting the town centre economy."

Reply Posted by Mick on Wednesday December 12 2012 at 15:06
So the council is investing almost nothing to boost xmas trade. Pathetic.

Reply Posted by Emma on Wednesday December 12 2012 at 15:39
Barnsley Council are pathetic, they think of no-one but theirselves & how it effects them. I will be honest I probably haven't been in to town shopping for over 4years. That's purely because it so much easier and less hassle to go to medowhell. You don't have to pay for parking, or have people hasseling you for a fag or spare change or what's left of your chips & gravy. If Barnsley got cleared up, parking and fares made cheaper people would consider making the trip.

Reply Posted by Hoyland Red on Wednesday December 12 2012 at 18:41
Emma, can you just clarify how this offer is the Council thinking of themselves? The easiest thing for people to do is knock whatever the Council do with these initiatives but how free parking on Wednesdays after 4.00pm and free on Saturdays is pathetic is beyond me. Still as you say you haven't been into town shopping for 4 years but you're quite happy to pay the extra fuel costs to drive down the M1 and put money into Meadowhall retailers coffers. Simple question - if the Council made parking free all days would you be prepared to have the loss of revenue from parking put onto the Council Tax?

Reply Posted by David Cameron on Wednesday December 12 2012 at 17:29
Vote for better councillors then and get rid of the poor excuse that Run it Now

Reply Posted by rachel on Wednesday December 12 2012 at 20:11
so is it free in multistory on a saturday?

Reply Posted by Robdought on Wednesday December 12 2012 at 21:14
Barnsley Council needs to move into the real world.they go on about spending millions of pounds on new investment around the Town Hall so business and new investment to our economy.Lets be honest te Council have so many Mickey Mouse Road schemes in place around Barnsley Town Centre today. It's a wonder any one wants to Come into the town until this shambles is sorted out.

Reply Posted by Robdought on Wednesday December 12 2012 at 21:39
Oh my god when did this Wednesday night free parking start. I went to Iceland Store and spent I think £1.20 parking on peel street 6pm. I did not see and posters on the meters advising it was free after 4pm. Don't tell me I've been done??????????????

Reply Posted by paul Taylor on Wednesday December 12 2012 at 21:40
The Labour council of Barnsley have done nothing to promote our town for 30 years. All they are interestedin doing is bleeding it dry for their own benefit.

Reply Posted by Aaron on Wednesday December 12 2012 at 23:04
Why knock it. Its a good initiative try and get more people into town instead of Meadowhall. Free weekend parking has been on for about last 2 years at all council car parks. It's a dam sight more than most councils do. I work in Sheffield, and honestly the town centre there is horrible - nothing but charity shops and Christmas shops and the like. Barnsley town centre is actually really good, with a great market and some decent shops. Everything that can be done to get people there should be done. Well done Barnsley council.

Reply Posted by anorak on Thursday December 13 2012 at 11:53
@ Robdought, parking is free everywhere after 6pm anyway......

Reply Posted by Robdought on Thursday December 13 2012 at 15:32
anorak I never new that. Is Sunday free parking too. I have also been told today is the Town Hall Carpark is free for local councillors. I bet the nurses at Barnsley Hospitial wish they could have the same privlages.

Reply Posted by peter on Thursday December 13 2012 at 16:35
I bet most of the public do not know that members of the council also have free town centre parking behind the Library on Shambles Street.

Reply Posted by outlet on Thursday December 13 2012 at 20:32
Hey could I reference some of the material here in this blog if I link back to you?
[url=http://www.argusmexico.net/fashion_page.asp?fenlei=outlet]outlet[/url]

Reply Posted by Jeff Greasley on Friday December 14 2012 at 21:38
Well that's brill.I just parked on PRIVATE LAND above Kendary street,only to find a parking ticket for £50. D put a parking ticket on for two hours,but the land at the side of councils is not for parking on.Ha anybody else been ticketed here !!!!!

Reply Posted by king louis on Wednesday December 19 2012 at 09:19
BARNSLEY's own TICKET-FEST for traffic wardens this Wednesday....come on down and pay up.....it's Christmas