Thousands Eligible To Receive Fuel Bill Help

Friday December 7 2012

Michael Dugher MP Michael Dugher MP

THOUSANDS of Barnsley households are eligible for help with their fuel bills, an MP has claimed.

Michael Dugher MP says 14,000 households are entitled to help with their energy costs and could be eligible for grants for insulation, new boilers, discount and rebate schemes.

Michael says the Home Heat Helpline (0800 33 66 99) can offer advice on what's available.

He added: "Many people don’t realise what support is available.

"As the weather gets colder and households turn on their heating, now is the ideal time to remind people that lots of help is available to keep warm."

Reply Posted by Robdought on Monday December 10 2012 at 21:33
So where's the information to follow this up please Mr Dugher.
Is it means tested. or do we have to wait until our elderly, Disabled and poor families freeze this winter. And what about the thousand of homeless people. what's the Government and Labour Party going to do to help them. Don't tell me prepayment meters on there cardboard boxes.

Reply Posted by pat on Tuesday December 11 2012 at 15:22
HA!!!!!! wot a joke!!!!!! my husband has worked all his life and has suffered 2 strokes!!!! Has a result he cannot work again and on medication. We are struggling a may loose our home because of bills we cannot pay. By the way we only have 4 years left on our mortgage!!!! He cannot get fuel allowance because he was born aug 51 instead of b4 july 51!!!! Hes still bloody cold and he takes medication to thin his blood!!!! the other week we had to go 4 days with no gas because we didnt have the money to put some on our card!!!! He is disabled!!!! This goverment is a joke. They wont be happy until we are all in the gutter!!!!! What fuel money?????? You tell me!!!

Reply Posted by LizFM1972 on Tuesday December 11 2012 at 17:23
Pat, social services may be able to help the next time you are in a similar situation without heating/gas. There is help out there, The Stroke Association may be able to offer assistance and there is The Yorkshire Water Community Trust who can offer financial support, the web address is http://www.yorkshirewater.com/yw-community-trust.aspx Likewise, British Gas offer something similar and can be accessed at http://www.britishgasenergytrust.org.uk/application-process Hope this helps :)

Reply Posted by pat on Wednesday December 12 2012 at 20:50
THANK U SO MUCH FOR THAT INFO LIZ. I HOPE WE ARE SUCCESSFUL. BRITISH GAS SAID WE HAD TO HAVE AN ELECTRIC PAY METER COS WE COULDNT PAY OUR £350 OUTSTANDING. ITS NOW COSTING MORE MONEY SO LESS MONEY NOW FOR FOOD.

Reply Posted by Sarah mckevitt on Tuesday December 11 2012 at 18:00
Just been refused cause I work, but I have young kids. I Work part-time on minimum wage, it stinks if I stay at home I would recive (free school meals) social loans/grants. , I get no help at all. It should b available for kids full stop .

Reply Posted by Tony on Tuesday December 11 2012 at 18:06
Latest scheme is called Warm Home Discount, check it on your power co. website. Gives you £150 credit to your account if you qualify - under £16,190 income, disability, numerous benefits, kids at school etc. loads of 'em. After the closing date they check all applications and pay all that qualify. Have to wait until March for it but £150 better in my pocket than theirs.

Reply Posted by pat on Wednesday December 12 2012 at 20:48

Reply Posted by daniel on Tuesday December 11 2012 at 20:06
basicly if you are not english and you have not paid a single penny into the system you get free energy grants free house free repairs and you name it whatever else...open your eyes barnsley the last left standing majority british town in england

Reply Posted by rachel lea on Tuesday December 11 2012 at 21:10
got 2 kids on jsa and tax credits will i get that too.

Reply Posted by may on Wednesday December 12 2012 at 13:04
can i just point out that not everyone on benefits is entitled to it.im not entitled because i live on my own and dont have children. there are thousends who are entitled who are on a lot more money than me but i would rather the money went to keep children warm,i for one would be upset if i thought that by me getting this help a child somewhere was going to be cold.

Reply Posted by julie on Wednesday December 12 2012 at 20:31
i rung british gas up today and i qualify for the warm home discount £130 it is thanks tony putting your comment up i wouldnt have known about it if i didnt see your comment thankyou :-)

Reply Posted by Neil on Thursday December 13 2012 at 14:52
I think everyones missing the point here !!! Why should you have to call and read the small print ? Why can't they just give everyone who is eligible it ? BUT Sorry I forgot this is England, YOU have to look, ask and beg for what you are already entitled to.. Its Pathetic !!! Otherwise it just goes into shareholders pockets instead as usual !!! So wrong on so many levels it is.

Reply Posted by pat on Saturday December 15 2012 at 20:12
VERY TRUE Neil!!!!!

Reply Posted by vicki on Thursday December 13 2012 at 16:12
thanks for the info my hubby lost his job recently i have just foned and i qualify for the £130 which is a big help to us at the mo

Reply Posted by trev on Thursday December 13 2012 at 16:20
i am disabled with multiple sclerosis so cold afects me more even in summer i have to wrap up well hat and scarf because of the high cost of heating i have to turn mine of 1 hour before i go to bed then no heating on just 2 pair of thermal l.johns and 2 thermal vests to sleep in till i get up am w/chair bound and realy struggle what happened to the cold weather payment DONT TELL ME CAMERON AS STOPPED THIS only man that robs the poor to feed the rich can anyone advise me if there is any help i can get PLEASE

Reply Posted by milton sills on Friday December 14 2012 at 00:50
Thats reyt ar. its bloody cold in my bunglow. 69.69 a week my heatin.

Reply Posted by barnsley lass on Friday December 14 2012 at 10:56
its absolutely freezing in my bungalow i am on benefits but cant claim the heating allowance cos my kids are grown up, so the duvet is a permanent fixture on my settee,but i only have one thing to say.thankyou god i am so lucky at least i have a roof over my head and warm food in my belly. not like the hundreds of people in barnsley who will be sleeping on the streets again tonight .some people really do need to count their blessings.

Reply Posted by anon on Saturday December 15 2012 at 14:23
ive read these comments and ashamed to be british british citizens elderly sick disabled etc shouldnt be living like this we are not a 3rd world country the government needs a good kick up the ass as i bet not 1 of them whatever party theyre with will go cold and hungry this winter or any other time of the year and hows people to find out about whats on offer as its often never advertised its an absolute disgrace!

Reply Posted by pat on Saturday December 15 2012 at 20:16
Oh no, they wont be cold and hungrey. They will have a fantastic christmas. Lots of food, drink, presents etc. They will want for nothing. Most of it will be put on expenses anyway!!!!

Reply Posted by kelly on Saturday December 15 2012 at 20:29
Any 1 no if we will qualify with underground heating we still pay 80 a month 12 months even wen we don't need it on !!!!!

Reply Posted by barnsley lass on Saturday December 15 2012 at 20:45
is they any offers for e on ,im on benfits n on gas meter ,n i can only aford 10 pound a fortnight ,im in bed early ,n have to sit with quilt on durin day ,

Reply Posted by James on Friday December 21 2012 at 16:20
Does everyone seam to forget the 13 years of the Labour Party borrowing 1Trillion pounds when we never owed a cracker before they came in? I love this town everyone wants to know what's in it for them, and when this new team came in and had to try and sort this mess out (even though we're doomed) everyone has a go! Not only is the debt so large it will never be repaid were still over spending (to add to the Trillion Pounds) £200-£400 million pounds A DAY! Good old Lablur Party! So there's Millons paid each day out of our pockets just to pay the interest to extreamley wealthy people this money could have been paid to everyone but the Labour Party decided they need it more! They have single handeldy distorted this country, and filled the town with undesirables because they know there vote is garanteed here!