News » WAB Debate

What Will The Education Changes Mean To You? A WAB Debate!

Wednesday December 5 2012

Education and training Education and training

NEW government rules coming in to force next year will mean that children have to stay in education or training until they are 18.

The government is raising the participation age for education - from next year all young people will stay in learning or training until the August after they are 17 and from 2015 this will expand to be their 18th birthday.

Young people can choose to either stay on at school, do an apprenticeship, go to college, become self employed or volunteer - as long as they gain qualifications while they are doing it.

What do you think? Is it right to raise the participation ages and enforce this or should students have a choice? What would it mean for you?

Join our WAB debate in the box below - we'd love to hear your comments.

Reply Posted by Alan on Wednesday December 5 2012 at 10:04
Given the shocking state of literacy and numeracy in this country, I think it is not only a good idea but an absolute necessity. I am 38 and stayed on to do 'A' levels at school, I didn't go on to university but went straight into work at 18, and I feel that those extra 2 years were well worth it. Most kids that leave school at 16 only end up hanging around on the streets and sponging off their parents until they are 18 anyway, so why not give them some extra skills?

Reply Posted by Michelle vaines on Wednesday December 5 2012 at 10:08
I think its a gud idea wi state of this country kids leave school some go to college but for others there r no jobs they can't sign on so some turn to crime for money which puts extra strain on police an courts an some cases jail system

Reply Posted by kc on Wednesday December 5 2012 at 10:33
I think this is a great idea in theory but more effort must be made to make children want to learn.
With so many parents reinforcing negative experiences of schooling what hope do their children have. The school system and government needs to work with the entire family unit so that children are positive about school and see the benefits of actually getting an education.
I am sick to death of seeing entire families reinforcing the "this world owes me something" attitude, and "if I can get away with claiming it I will"
Through education and schooling hopefully the next generation can take pride in having intelligence, skills and a career and we can finally step out of this benefit culture that is infecting Britain on all levels.
I do strongly think though, that if children are going to stay in school unitl 18 then we must work with them and not inflict useless subjects on them, some children do not want to nor are suited to learning academic subjects, French for example - what good does that do a student who has no plans to work in an industry that needs this, however, teaching actual skills like mechanics, labouring, catering etc will equip this student with the skills to actually get a job when they leave school, not to have a piece of paper with irrelevant grades for irrelevant subjects.
However, yes, I definately agree with this as long as the education taught suits the children it is being taught to.

Reply Posted by ash on Thursday December 6 2012 at 07:50
considering the fact that I'm now 20yr old, have participated in many different college courses and work places and still have nothing to show in the way if qualifications then I agree completely with this new scheme. if I would have been given these opportunities instead of been sent off to do as I wished with no guidance, then I believe I'd be in a much better position both financially and in education than I currently am. although all these kids will complain, they have no idea what I would give to have this opportunity, and in the long run it will benefit them more than they could ever imagine. it's an excellent scheme, I only wish they would have thought of it when I was in school!

Reply Posted by Trina on Thursday December 6 2012 at 15:53
Completely agree with keeping kids in school until they are 18 I went on to college for 2 years after leaving school and think this helped tremendously. Giving kids the chance to get further and learn more skills before setting off into the working world I think is giving them a better set up in life and giving them more guidance in their teenage years.
If this was being done when I was at school I think I would be better off now in addition to doing the optional 2 years at college that I attended.
about time I say

Reply Posted by guesty Mcguest on Thursday December 6 2012 at 16:50
This is good. looked into it, kids can do apprenticships so theres still the chance to earn money. All its reducing is going into a dead end job with no prospects - forcing employers to offer some sort of training, or doing nothing which will no longer be an option. They don't have to go to school, they don't have to go to college, they just have to do something with and educational gain.

Reply Posted by Robert on Friday December 7 2012 at 20:09
Education, education, education... For Gods sake will someone learn them times tables! We were taught parrot fashion, yet these generations cannot even tell is what 2 x 6 is... Back to basics!

Reply Posted by guestyMcguest on Wednesday December 12 2012 at 09:31
should that be "teach"????

Reply Posted by Robert on Friday December 7 2012 at 20:09

Reply Posted by Pfft.. on Friday December 7 2012 at 20:25
Our we the uk or the usa?

Reply Posted by Aunt Hilder on Saturday December 8 2012 at 05:50
Robert

Back to basics indeed. It's "teach them" not "learn them".

Reply Posted by Sophie on Sunday December 9 2012 at 21:42
I'm in Y11 at Netherwood and can rarely attend school for health reasons. I have home tutoring BUT Netherwood have sent no work at all to do with my tutor and never reply to emails regarding work! So to me will be no use at all if things carry on as they are now!

Reply Posted by jo jo on Sunday December 9 2012 at 21:43
yes agree parrot fashion times tables all the time my daughter was not taught times tables that way was 2 4 6 8 10 ect but if asked what 7 x 2 would not have a clue unless did on hand 2 4 6 8 10 12 14 ....... we once were the top country for education but now any exam results are not good enough for even Spain any EU country let alone america or Australia ... bring back all the old way of teaching and learning as well as all the discipline then we might get this country back on track.

Reply Posted by Eric on Monday December 24 2012 at 15:41
Two things, where will the extra teachers come from. Secondly, will sixteen year olds coming in from Europe be able to take jobs, thereby putting those in this Country on the back foot when they leave at eighteen and still not being able to find employment.

Reply Posted by Andy Smith on Wednesday January 30 2013 at 17:54
I think it is a great idea. I'm 47 and was lucky enough to walk into a job straight from school. That doesn't happen now so more education or an apprenticeship is a good idea. My son wants to join the army and hopefully there will be corses to help him get ready.