Vaccination Blunder Causes Parent Worry

Friday November 9 2012

Rebecca and Poppi - photo courtesy of Barnsley Chronicle. Rebecca and Poppi - photo courtesy of Barnsley Chronicle.

A BLUNDER in the way crucial vaccinations were given to children at a Barnsley surgery means they will have to have them again.

More than 200 children were given a single jab instead of separate vaccinations at Cope Street Surgery between January 2009 and April 2012.

They were supposed to protect them against diphtheria, hib, pertussis, polio, tetanus, and measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) but national guidance states they should be given separately to ensure maximum protection.

Rebecca Hirst's daughter Poppi is one of the children who will have to be re-vaccinated.

She said: "It's disgusting what's happened and in my eyes it shows incompetence.

"She was given the injection when she started nursery at three years old and she's six next month. So for nearly three years she's been walking around and has not been immunised."

Sharon Stoltz, head of public health for Barnsley, said the issue was first brought to their attention in April.

She said all parents with children who might be affected have been contacted by letter.

She added: "Action was taken immediately once this was identified to ensure no further vaccinations were given in this way.

"The GP practice is now giving immunisations in line with national guidance."

NHS Barnsley said an investigation into the doctor involved was carried out and the GP was required to undertake additional training and participate in a mentoring programme.

Reply Posted by michelle coward on Friday November 9 2012 at 11:13
My son is five and he as to be revaccinated as he had his done at cope street

Reply Posted by Pam on Friday November 9 2012 at 11:17
my son and I are with cope st surgery and this is the first I've heard about this, he's 7 now but how do I find out if he received the right vaccine?

Reply Posted by Nicky WAB on Friday November 9 2012 at 11:41
Hi Pam, all parents whose children were affected by this have been contacted by letter. Hope this helps.

Reply Posted by ali on Sunday November 11 2012 at 20:56
everyone who is affected has been contacted as my daughter is one of them

Reply Posted by michelle coward on Friday November 9 2012 at 11:21
Anyone with.children that need re immunising will br informed with a letter. i got mine a few days ago

Reply Posted by Penny on Friday November 9 2012 at 11:22
How did this go on for 3 years unnoticed? Surely checks are carried out more regularly than every 3 years!!

Reply Posted by Amy on Friday November 9 2012 at 11:26
My son is 5 and had his done at cope street I am not happy about this at all

Reply Posted by sarah on Friday November 9 2012 at 11:28
Pam you can just contact the surgery and ask as it will be coded for audit anyway.

Reply Posted by hannah on Friday November 9 2012 at 11:51
i think its disgusting my twins were affected by this i dont rate the doctor at cope street he made a few mistakes with my children

Reply Posted by emma on Friday November 9 2012 at 13:53
my daughter is 6 n my son is 2 n half n they ad ad em dune at cope st and i am nt happy as they av t have again its rediculas,,

Reply Posted by Gail Naylor on Saturday November 10 2012 at 00:51
Now come on, lets think about this logically. If these immunisations were administered incorrectly over such a long period of time, then why have Barnsley children not suffered from an epidemic of any of those diseases?
If you read your letters correctly, you have been given the option to follow one of three routes
1 do nothing
2 have your child re immunised ..or
3 have your child tested for immunity.
my daughter has only just today had her son tested for immunity as a precaution so he is not doubly immunised unnecessarily.
I am all for keeping our children safe, but is there any need for the cruelty that 3 separate injections on one visit will bring
This culture of blame and claim is the route of all evil.

Reply Posted by doobydoo67 on Saturday November 10 2012 at 12:32
I honestly cannot understand this I work in a Dr Surgery not the one mentioned though and although I do not administer the imms I do deal with list and our as given as follows so I cannot understand which Imms have been given wrongly as the •Diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (whooping cough), polio and Hib vaccines are combined into one injection - the DTaP/IPV(polio)/Hib vaccine.
•Pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV) is a separate injection and was added to the routine immunisation schedule in September 2006.
•Meningitis C vaccine (MenC) is sometimes given as a separate injection but is combined with Hib for one injection.
here is a link which may help with more information. http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Childhood-Immunisation.htm

Reply Posted by ali on Sunday November 11 2012 at 21:01
if your child has been affected as has mine you are confused upset and at a lost for where to turn feeling let down and angered and peoples comments on here are very unhelpful do you think that we would genuinely love to hurt our child by having them again i am very upset by the prospect of doing this but have to go with the best advice from our letter to cover the most precious thing in my life try and imagine what that is like thankyou!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!