Man Tasered By Police After Threats

Thursday November 1 2012

A MAN had to be tasered by police officers after an incident in Goldthorpe on Tuesday.

Police were called to a property on Probert Avenue at around 3.20pm on October 30.

Witnesses say the 29-year-old man was waving a carving knife and threatening to harm himself.

A police spokesman said: "Police discharged the taser to prevent the man from causing injury to himself or to police officers.

"He was taken to hospital to be checked over and was later released without any injuries."

Reply Posted by Concerned on Thursday November 1 2012 at 10:20
I'm hearing the word 'taser' far too much recently, and about its use more so. There are many different ways to disarm a person, but in this case, would support from Mental Health not have been more advisable. I speak as a concerned person with a heart condition, and if a taser was to be used on me, it would probably kill me... Need I say more?

Reply Posted by grrenginger on Thursday November 1 2012 at 16:26
How can you expect to find a mental health worker probably on an evening who can attend Probert Avenue in a quick fashion? Don't be ridiculous.
The man was a danger to himself and others and could not be left in a public place with a sword. Now he has been to hospital he will receive mental health but my suspicions are that he probably already has that support or was under influence of alcohol or drugs. What would you prefer the police or public to be hurt or the man battered with batons or bit by police dogs? Use your common sense, this was obviously the best way to go. Best way to avoid taser is to behave yourself. Simple really or else arm the Police instead.

Reply Posted by wayne on Thursday November 1 2012 at 19:54
I saw it all and it was for his own saftey ?

Reply Posted by greenginger on Thursday November 1 2012 at 21:18
To be honest who cares? If he was waving a sword around he needed removing. End of.

Reply Posted by Aunt Hilder on Friday November 2 2012 at 05:40
Greenginger

I have read your comments above, and in previous posts, and while I accept that sometimes you have a point to make, it doesn't distract from the fact that you are a fool.

Have a nice day!

Reply Posted by greenginger on Friday November 2 2012 at 16:54
Aunt Hilder unlike you who have no valid points to make. What about my comment offends you so much that you have to be personal? Surely no sane person wishes to see anyone in the street waving a sword or any weapon about. Decent people do not do such things.
I am sure if it happened on your street near to your loved ones you would not be happy. It is not acceptable behaviour even if that person has mental health issues or addictions. the Police do a difficult and often thankless task having to remove such people and yet I am sure that you would call them foolish too. Grow up and take your pointless and invalid moaning elsewhere.

Reply Posted by Aunt Hilder on Saturday November 3 2012 at 19:04
Dear Greenginger

As I said, you sometimes have a valid point but your comments above just reinforce my opinion - A fool. Says it all really.

Add new comment
Your email address will not be visible to other users of the website when you leave a comment.