News » WAB Debate

What Do You Think Of Barnsley Hospital? A WAB Debate

Tuesday October 2 2012

Barnsley Hospital Barnsley Hospital

Barnsley Hospital's NHS Trust is carrying out a survey to find out what patients think about the care they receive.

It is contacting patients who have recently been treated at the hospital to ask for their views on everything from admission to hospital, quality of care, pain control, communication with doctors and nurses, information, medicines, involvement in their care, hospital food, cleanliness and discharge arrangements.

The results will be used to help the hospital improve.

So - what do you think to the hospital? What's good and what could do with improvement?

Have your say in the box below.

Reply Posted by unknown on Tuesday October 2 2012 at 14:24
I am very dissappointed with Barnsley after treatment there, my Doctor has passed me on to Sheffield northern general and after 10 days was seeing a doctor.Friday first appointment, two blood tests and two appointments for endoscpy and body scan within 3 days. took Barnsley 3 months and not one nurse or Doctor showed any kind of caring attitude. Will never go back.Its dirty and unfriendly , a lot of people need lessons on how to care.

Reply Posted by sue on Wednesday October 3 2012 at 21:34
many issues many mistakes....first my daughter in.law was pregnant went four times in pain only to be told all ok after fifth time said they wud do scan to shut her up baby had died four weeks prior....took my daughter to casuelty floors filthy in room old dressing wrappers on floor she was vomiting and had been nine hours..bowls of vomit were left next to urune ssmples no.one took them away..was told.to.put drip up by dr hour n half later i had to remind them...sent to ward only to be told she had to sit in a chair as no bed for her i complained still took hour n half to get one....out written cimplaint in waste of time....hubby taken in two weeks ago 999 chest pains 11.30 arrived was admitted at one did noy get taken to a aard until six hes diabetic nothing given to eat or drink...dr in cadualty wanted extra tests doing he got to ward saw no dr til morning listened to his chest discharged him sent him home gp sorting him hes still off.ill... so all in sll i tjink BDGH are appalling dont listen to complaints n dont care your a number want rid of you asap

Reply Posted by Wendy on Tuesday October 2 2012 at 16:59
I took my 80 yr old Dad into A&E, & we was waiting 2 hrs, & there was only us there, till some others came in, i thought A&E was for emergencies & not an appointment system, cause they was seen first!!!!!
VERY DISAPPOINTED!!!

Reply Posted by nikki on Wednesday October 3 2012 at 11:05
had my daughter at the hospital and it was awful!! i was being sick on my way OUT of the hospital and had to go back in cos i was still severely ill!!

Reply Posted by unknown on Wednesday October 3 2012 at 11:11
cant stand barnsley hospital, my daughter contracted strep b at 8 weeks old and was really ill, they rushed her to barnsley hospital and gave her iv antibiotics for 3 days and said she was fine and sent her home, within half hour of being home my daughter was again burning up projectile vomiting and very ill, took her back and they admitted they hadn't treated the strep b, and she was again put back on iv antibiotics and was in for a total of 17 days, there was dried blood on the cot spindles of the cot they wanted to put her in, untill i told them they could think again before putting her in a dirty cot, they dont know there backside from there elbow, and the place is filthy.

Reply Posted by lorraine on Wednesday October 3 2012 at 11:27
i am disgusted with this hospital it employs thugs as secutity guards who pounce with the least provocation and cause injuries to patients just because their job title says they can the doctors are arrogant rude and more interested in their chats round the desk than seeing to patients care often leaving patients for long lengths of time the nursing staff cant find patients on the computer even though you can see the person youre looking for and tell you to try another hospital the care and dedication shown by staff at this hospital seriously needs looking at why doesnt the health watchdogs check this place out and either get them to pull their socks up or close it down and give its funding to a much better well run hospital where patients matter

Reply Posted by security on Tuesday October 9 2012 at 18:54
we are not thugs.we do our job with decency snd integrity..bdgh is not a shelter for drunks and substance abusers who treat us and the nursing staff with rudeness and contempt.its not nice been at work and been spit on and having bodily fluids thrown on us just because a drunken man cant behave in a controlled society.yes the staff are very tolerable and get abused day after day.if you want to criticise further then feel free to borrow my uniform and work the nightshift over a weekend to make you realise the facts.all i can say is if you dont like the hospital then feel free to visit another...i work hard under difficult times and so do the nursing staff.so dont knock it untill you.ve tried it.

Reply Posted by lorraine on Wednesday October 10 2012 at 12:22
i had cause to visit this hospital called in an emergency to a relative in a&e due to an accident what i witnessed by the so called caring staff was appalling as i stated the security i witnessed was disgusting to a member of the public thought you were supposed to leave hospital better not substain more injury by staff employed the doctors and nurses are a disgrace their duty of care is none oh i dont live in barnsley thank god so i wont have cause to visit this disgrace for a hospital again and certainly wont have cause to be treated there so yes security ive seen it thankfully didnt need to be treated there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply Posted by n/a on Wednesday October 10 2012 at 13:26
i worked there for a few years as a "thug" not once did me or any of my colleagues pounce on any patient. whilst working there i had my nose broke 2 bruised ribs punched kicked spat at and threatened more times than i will care to remember. yes you may see security restraining people or even kicking people out the trust has a zero tolerance policy on swearing and on threats or acts of violence to staff and other visitors, if staff were treated with the respect that you all want then you would all be treated with the same respect back! whislt i worked there the staff worked hard and often worked with out breaks... if they have a break you would complain that you never see any one working, if there was an increased budget to pay for extra dr's and nurses then there would be no problems. the problems with barnsley hospital cannot be changed by shouting and bawling at doctors and nurses only the executive directors can change what happens but they have to work in a budget set out by the government, get the govt to change its budgets and get more front line staff and heypresto problem solved

Reply Posted by lorraine on Wednesday October 10 2012 at 14:42
all i can say is it was my first ever visit to the hospital and what i witnessed was disgraceful by all staff the episode i witnessed with security guards was not with a drunk or drug users but a mentally ill person there is a BIG difference between the two drunks/drug users are there by they own doing but a mentally ill person can not help their illness when dealing with this person i saw and heard the security goading the person and taking delight at the persons distress thats not right or fair and neither was the way reasonable resistaint was used you can defend your actions by all means i too have the right to my opinion and that is my experience with barnsley hospital is one of utter disgust i have had cause to visit other hospitals for various reasons and never have i seen or witnessed the utter disgrace shown by all staff in the a&e department that i witnessed that night

Reply Posted by disgusted on Wednesday October 3 2012 at 11:38
i spent time in various departments the care shown is appalling doctors are rude nurses ignore you the place was filthy i caught more by being in there than if id not bothered going for treatment i for one think someone should go check the place out unannounced and see what we have to tolerate when we go there waste of tax payers money when we can go to sheffield and get 100% better care and treatment

Reply Posted by leanne on Wednesday October 3 2012 at 11:39
Having spent most of my final trimester on the ANDU I cannot praise the maternity dept enough. The midwives and docs were fantastic before, during and after labour and if Mr Ray hadn't been so fantastic both my son and I would have died. The staff on both SCBU and childrens ward work so hard and are so helpful and caring. I had no qualms on any of these wards whatsoever but the A&E dept is a major let down!! A few of the nursing staff can't do enough for you but they seem to be a minority. Other members of A&E staff are rude, unhelpful and obnoxious.the nurses don't have any interest in their patients, and are too quick to voice opinions when they should leave it to the doctors to make the diagnosis.

Reply Posted by karen on Wednesday October 3 2012 at 13:17
Barnsley hospital what a joke my my grandad were in with pneiumonia whilst i visited another elderly gentlemen weed himself n 3 hours later he still was sat there in wet jamas treat elderly folk with respect u will be one sooner or later how would u like sitting there piss wet through these people need dignety so get em seen to instead of chatting

Reply Posted by joanne on Wednesday October 3 2012 at 21:39
Cant fault the cancer ward but as for the a&e department i had to tell them what mi mam needed and still we were there 2 hours later what a joke tests my arse ow long does it take to do a blood test n to get the results can be done in an hour that i do know

Reply Posted by Penny on Wednesday October 3 2012 at 21:40
My experiences at Barnsley Hospital are all very positive!! I had both of my children there - both by c-section - one of them in an emergency - and the staff were brilliant both times. We've had to go in for several other things over the last four years or so - dental department, opthalmology, X-ray, A&E, scans etc and, on the whole, the treatment we have received has been first rate. During one visit we had a problem with one member of staff & it was dealt with quickly & efficiently.

Reply Posted by Karen on Wednesday October 3 2012 at 22:41
I was in A&E 1.5 weeks ago and I thought the service was excellent!!!!

I had dislocated my elbow in the garden, was seen in triage straight away. The nurse fetched the consultant immediately, sent me for an x-ray. Had to wait about 30 mins to be able to get into resus as I was knocked out for them to put it back in place and left the department within 4 hours! I have been to other A&Es and had to wait much longer than that to be seen let alone treated. All the staff were really fabulous and I could not fault the service I was given even though A&E was really busy.

Seemed that quite a few patients that came in that should have gone to a walk in centre/out of hours GP rather than A&E though but the staff dealt with them really professionally.

Very impressed and would not hesitate using Barnsley Hospital again!!!

Reply Posted by donna on Wednesday October 3 2012 at 23:13
Barnsley is just like every other hospital and gp practice. The doctors forgot why they wanted to help the nurses forgot how to care, the HSA are the ones who actually normally gives a dam and listen but unfortunately there opinions get over looked cos they're not on the same pay scale.
And yes you can complain but whats the point I agree, it achieves nothing just makes u a target for more poor care and aggressive attitudes.
Dentist aren't much better! Pay for treatment u dont receive, yes they check ur teeth but what ever happened to the scale n polish, you have to pay again to see a hygienist!!
There are a few shining stars but unfortunately their brightness is dimmed by others.
I think it's a total shame, that I feel this way but after repeatedly being let down, talked down to and made to feel like a burden by many hospital wards and clinics in Barnsley, Rotherham and Sheffield my faith in the nhs has gone. Maybe privatisation is the way forward, at least then staff will be pleases your their as they will then realise it's US the general public paying their wages and may treat us and our families especially our gRandparents in a much better way.

Reply Posted by tony on Wednesday October 3 2012 at 23:46
Its a wast of space bulldoz the lot n build a car park thare been tday wi vik for a mole removing of her face doc thare told her t goaway n told her its a waste of time n money to av things like that dun

Reply Posted by polly on Thursday October 4 2012 at 07:48
After being in BDGH recently I am glad of this survey,whats wrong with the hospital? 1. lack of communication between staff, 2. computer and paperwork taking priority over nursing care, 3. Incompetence with a lot of the staff,e.g. how can notes which are transferred with a wheelchair patient be lost on a ward transfer?how can a blood transfusion be left unmonitored for hours.All these things and many more are relevant at BDGH.the answer lies with more training for more NURSING staff and each ward having a separate clerical person for all the paperwork.On the plus side I must add that from my previous stay in the hospital the cleanliness had greatly improved.

Reply Posted by Barnsley Hospital on Thursday October 4 2012 at 10:51
Thank you all for your valuable feedback.

We are really sorry to hear that some of you did not have a positive experience when using our services. We really welcome ALL feedback from patients so that we can look to make improvements and significantly reduce the chances of it happening again.

If you would like to talk to someone about your care, you can do this by contacting the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) based at the front entrance of the hospital or call 01226 432430 or email barnsleypals@nhs.net.

Reply Posted by Emma on Monday July 8 2013 at 15:52
Some!!??

Reply Posted by may on Thursday October 4 2012 at 13:33
well i have to say when my daughter was taken ill we phoned for an ambulance which arrived quickly she was transported to hospital,booked in seen by a&e dr and consultant and booked into a bed all within 30 mins from the time i made the 999 call pretty damn good id say well done bdgh, and would just like to say to staff at this hospital a massive thankyou on behalf of every patients life you have saved

Reply Posted by Wendy on Thursday October 4 2012 at 15:35
Reading over some of the aggressive posts on here I feel sorry for the nursing staff who have to deal with this face to face 24/7. I had a hysterectomy in June. I cannot praise the staff on Ward 14 enough. They were kind, reassuring, upbeat, funny but always very sensitive. My mother who worked for 40 years as a nursing sister in the NHS at Bradford Royal was hugely impressed by the levels of cleanliness, efficiency and smartness of the staff (she takes smartness pretty seriously!). I felt safe and cared for. The team was backed up by an excellent consultant, registrar and anesthetist..even the porter (Alex?) who took me down to theatre was delightful. It was not easy having to have a hysterectomy at a fairly youngish age but the staff of BGH made the experience a very positive one. Thank you!

Reply Posted by Staff on ward 14 on Wednesday October 10 2012 at 21:09
Wendy , what a lovely comment and as always reading your comment makes me realise why we do the job. All the staff on ward 14 are amazing from consultants to domestic cleaners. We work as a team and strive to treat all our ladies with dignity and we treat all patients as of they are our own family. Thank you for positive lovely comment. It's nice to see we're doing a good job x x x

Reply Posted by Anna on Thursday October 4 2012 at 15:43
The last time I went in it was diabolical. I went in with a head trauma after fainting, hitting my head and losing my memory. I was incredibly scared and in a lot of pain. I had a doctor press on my skull for me to be in absolute agony, the doctor said he would do an xray to make sure I hadn't cracked my skull, 5 hours later they took me for the xray and did me an xray on my chest and not on my skull and then claimed this was because they thought pneumonia caused me to faint, when I'm prone to fainting anyway and told me that they didn't think an xray on my skull was necessary. This happened about 4 months ago and my skull still hurts when I touch it! And the toilet on ward 16 was disgusting. There was urine all over the floor, I reported it to numerous staff, and 16 hours later (when I left) it was still there. It stunk!

Reply Posted by Eric Bailey on Thursday October 4 2012 at 22:02
Firstly, I was diagnosed with cancer on my vocal chords. I had to go to theatre for a biopsy, they said we will put a gum shield in so as not damage my teeth, I came round with two front teeth missing. I was waiting for a scan on my throat for two months as they were waiting for the scanner coming to Barnsley. My daughter took this up with BDGH, and when she sorted it out. It transpired that I should have gone to the Hallamshire for a scan, where there wasn't a waiting list. The Secretary had got it wrong. Next I got a skin infection and had to go to the dermatolagist at BDGH. Two and a half years I was going and getting nowhere. On many occasions my appointments were for 9-0am and I wasn't seen until 9-45. Why, because they can't be bothered to get there on time. This happens in many departments. I transferred to the Hallamshire and within a week they told me what it was. Why the difference in NHS Hospitals. The Chemo ward at BDGH are brilliant. Now, leadership comes from the top and permeates down, so if the leadership doesn't perform neither will the people below them. All you people complaining, do you give 100% in your work and don't you ever get grumpy with others around you. I as a retired manager always made sure that I spoke with all my staff and got there before them.

Reply Posted by Eric Bailey on Thursday October 4 2012 at 22:04
I forgot to mention. I am fit and well apart from that I have no vocal chords.

Reply Posted by Gavin on Thursday October 4 2012 at 22:39
Very dissapointed, avoid going there for anything other than emergency, despite many months of investigations they failed to detect my mothers cancer till it was too late, she died aged 51 through their neglect, then my father went in after a fall with a broken arm, and an inept surgeon crippled him for life, he was an active man, now he struggles to do the most basic of tasks, this has affected his life dramatically, ruined it really! the hospitel closed ranks, lost all his notes and x-rays and denied any wrong doing, so my father was unable to get any compensation for the life changing blunder, and continued to let the same surgeon go on to cripple and mame more people, I've heard he has finally been struck off, this is no comfort, and too late!

Reply Posted by kieran on Friday October 5 2012 at 18:36
I went into a+e not long after shafton alc opened and I was in a p.e lesson and was playing football in the net and tried saving a goal with one hand my mum took me and I was in and out in 2 hours I thinks BDGH is a BIG time waster I had to go back two days later to be told I had an hairline fracture on my wrist the only treatment I received was a brown wrist sling

Reply Posted by eddie on Friday October 5 2012 at 18:49
to meany people travel for ops and other care but what would you think of it if they said it was going to close its my nearest hospital and i hope it stays that way remeber this goverment are good at closeing places and owt to get the public back up they will do it so its that or travel make the best of what you got and just hope for the best.

Reply Posted by golfball on Friday October 5 2012 at 18:59
dreadful,what more can be said,i was admitted to barnsley hospital had my operation,some staff on facebook and cant be bothered to see to you,there made me feel as if i was a burden to them,was sent home in agony,2 weeks later back in,operated on again,same faces still on facebook,same service,dreadful,back home and back to hospital a few weeks later,in agony,operated on again,staff horendous,my wife came to pick me up and discharged me and took me to sheffild northern general,,the staff are a disgrace,there spend most of there time in a small group chatting and using the facebook on the phones or the computor,we complained but it was swept under the carpet,i am now under sheffield hospital and i am in regular discusion with the specialist who is dealing with my illness,barnsley hospital just send me home as if there could not be bothered,

Reply Posted by may on Saturday October 6 2012 at 12:18
what do people want firstly can i say,if i went to an hospital and been so dreadfully treated as some of the people on here say they were, i wouldnt of been going back how many people would be up in arms if they closed bdgh so that the 8 min travel time turned into 20min or it became a private hospital as this government would like them all to be. how many of you would be happy to pay for every single aspect of your treatment by private drs etc beeing charged for antiseptic wipes plasters tetanus jabs x rays etc we are so lucky to have bdgh on our doorstep and yes they make mistakes thankfully in percentage terms worked out on how many people they treat a day its pretty dam low my family and i have had times when we thought things could of been done differently.
the drs and nurses at bdgh fetched my mum back from near death more than once and never gave up the fight with her, the staff were amazing so instead of slagging them off you should be thanking god weve got bdgh faults and all

Reply Posted by Mark. on Saturday October 6 2012 at 20:54
After 3 yeas of been passed from pillow to post at Barnsley hospital and been told there was nothing they could find that was causing my severe pain my gp asked for a second opinion at Jimmys in Leeds, I had a scan 4 weeks later only to find out that my problem was there large as life, The doctor who found it told me that it was there on every scan i'd had at Barnsley. I am now taking legal action against Barnsley. I personally saw elderly people mistreated and would never dream of using this hospital again. Totally dissatisfied in every way.

Reply Posted by Kelly on Sunday October 7 2012 at 17:13
I recently gave birth to my son at BDGH and found the nurses/midwives nothing but professional, dedicated and caring. The care we received was excellent.
Couldn't fault a single thing.

Reply Posted by chezza on Sunday October 7 2012 at 17:31
my mum was in for nearly 2 weeks and needs gluten free diet.evans though this is listed on the menu it never arrived,we were told to bring her own bread in as they didnt have any,one friday it was fish chips and peas,we told the nurse she couldnt eat it cos it contained flour so she took the fish off and told her it was fine now just eat the chips and peas,i am aware that council home help are being paid to sit at home for hours and only have a couple of calls a week so why not use these to ease the caring burden on nursing staff,also people with allergies are given a red bracelet so why not introduce a coloured one for dementia sufferers so staff are aware they may need help to eat drink and wash etc

Reply Posted by michelle on Sunday October 7 2012 at 17:44
i went to BDGH Tuesday just gone, i was rushed in because i was having a server asthma attack. after booking in at reception i was told to go straight into A&E dept with my dad and he was to explain to the staff and they would sort me right away. so we went into A&E and my dad told one of staff and for over 20 mins we were just stood in corridor with no help. 2 nurses were sat on desk not even bothered about seeing to me, at this point i was so out of breath i couldnt even talk. then when a nurse finally attended to me they sat me on a bed in corridor for 30 mins still with no treatment and me gasping for breath... when my dad finally complained they sent me into resuscitation room and gave me oxygen and nebulizers. i was then sat on the bed from 9pm till 12am waiting to be taken up to ward 17 (admissions ward) when i finally got taken up it was another hour and half before a doctor came to see me and yet again gave me more oxygen... the night staff were brilliant in my opinion as they came and attended to patients when ever buzzer was pressed and even kept coming on to ward to check all was in order every 20mins, but the day staff need to show more respect they were very rude and arrogant... there was an old lady in her late 80's who was suffering with dementia and she was bed ridden. she was too scared to press buzzer to call for help when needed as she was treated badly and was always being shouted at by the nurses.. at one point through day she wanted toilet. i buzzed for nurse and nurse came in and brought her a commode. she put her on it and said ill be back in a minute... 30mins later i realised the lady was still sat on the commode so when i collared a nurse in corridor (as at this point there was no one about and pressing buzzer wasnt getting any assistance) i told her that this old lady had been sat on loo for over 30 mins and no 1 had come back to help her. the nurse just shrugged her shoulders and walked off..... in the end a nhs care assistant ( ones who clean and change beds and help with patients when needed) came into room and i told her what had gone off she too was disgusted but luckily the old lady finally got helped.... its disgusting what the staff in that hospital do they get paid to do a job so why on earth dont they do it right? in my opinion they shouldn't be employed. and most of all they need to show RESPECT not just to the elders but to other age groups too. respect costs nothing and if they dont have the patience to deal with the elders regardless of there mental state or illness then they need to change there jobs!!!!!

Reply Posted by Dale on Sunday October 7 2012 at 17:45
When my dad was in just over a month ago. From the moment he went into A&E to him being sent to a ward. I can honestly say I could not fault the staff, from the A&E consultant to the ward Staff. At every stage the doctors and nurses kept us informed about my dads care and what they were planing to do.

Reply Posted by kerry on Sunday October 7 2012 at 19:05
I think people forget the fact that many people wouldn't be alive today without the care and attention of the doctors and nurses at barnsley hospital, I have never had a problem with any staff member there, I had my daughter there last year and found all my care givers fantastic, I dont think people.appeciatee the nhs.anymore, if its so.rubbish why do people.keep going back, no.one makes you,

Reply Posted by Karina on Sunday October 7 2012 at 20:21
I have been to BDGH for various reasons, most recently when my daughter was being treated for Pneumonia. It was a quite frightening time, yet the staff did all they could to put our minds at ease and looked after my daughter very well. The children's ward was clean, friendly and had an excellent and well structured play room for all the children. I can give them nothing but thanks for helping my family at a difficult time.

Reply Posted by clare on Sunday October 7 2012 at 20:47
i have both good and bad experiences with BDGH. i found antenatal and labour care fantastic there the post natal care was awful for us. the children's ward and children's a and e is the best we've been to, my little son is a regular visitor and as had his fair share of over night stays and nothing but praise for them. my mum was failed big time by A and E...twice....

Reply Posted by lesley on Sunday October 7 2012 at 20:47
we foned for a ambulance for my dad as he was vomiting he was not well at all it took abulance 45 minets to come ,it was too late died on way to hospitle ,we only live ten minets away ,aparently that day was very buisy and ambulance had to come from hoyland ,breaks our heart ,

Reply Posted by becky on Monday October 8 2012 at 07:59
my dad had a stroke 2 yrs ago now and hes never really recovered from he has to walk with a frame and his speech hasnt come back and when he first went to the hospital they sent him home sayin it was a fit that he had and that was 2 weeks before he had the big stroke and then he didnt have a scan for 22hrs we was told if they had scanned him 2 week b4 the big one could have been prevented and that he should have been scanned straight away when he did have the big one not 22hrs after he was admitted it was disgusting how he was treated we put a complaint in and were still having to chase it up now because they havnt really responded to it.

Reply Posted by wendy on Monday October 8 2012 at 11:56
You can be helped to complain about your care and treatment, and the care of your relatives by
The Independent Complaints and Advisory Service
Unit B1
Patrick Tobin Business Park
Dearne Valley
Rotherham
S63 7JY
otherwise complaints about the NHS can be dealt with by the NHS Ombudsman Millbank Tower Millbank London SW1P4QP
but they will only look at complaints after all other avenues have been explored and you feel that your concerns have not been dealt with by the hospital . Really the Independent Complaints and Advisory Service (ACAS) which is part of the Carers Federation should probably be your first port of call .

Reply Posted by Wendy on Monday October 8 2012 at 12:06
Phone number for ACAS
01709 874594
They will help you to complain and support you throughout x

Reply Posted by Laura on Wednesday October 10 2012 at 11:56
I agree with majority here, BDGH is appalling, having worked there for 3 years and been a patient I have 'tried it' in different ways. I left as the staff are rude and prefer to fob you off. I went in as a patient having passed out whilst heavily pregnant and 999 call up to hospital they didn't even check my baby luckily she was fine, thn when I gave birth to my baby they left part of my placenta inside and I was ill for a couple of months until they worked out why... The staff haven't any passion anymore and that's where they go wrong !

Reply Posted by Liam on Wednesday October 10 2012 at 11:58
Never had a problem really, always had a lugh with the nurses and patients. Only problem ive had when i was in a couple of weeks ago, went from morphine once every 4 hours to 1 codeine tablet every 6 hours, when I was still in agony! Nurses did their best but they cant prescribe medicine but they made their best to keep me comfortable made loads of recommendations to lessen pain without pain killers and were overall friendly and fair.

Reply Posted by Cher W on Wednesday October 10 2012 at 11:59
My personal experience of BDGH has been great. I have been going regularly for treatment, tests and consultations due to a chronic illness for 20 years. My Consultant has fought to get me a new treatment which means I have been in remission for 3 years now and without the support of all the staff including phlebotomy, ward staff, reception staff and specialist nurse I wouldnt be healthy as I am today. It's so disheartening to hear everyone hasn't had a positive experience. The staff are all hard working and combined with with work pressures and budget cuts I personally have every faith in any future treatment I may need. My family's experiences have all been good too. It's so sad a whole service is tarnished by a minority of, albeit very sad, accidents/individual staff members. I have been to various hospitals in Sheffield also and have always thought the hygiene levels there are far inferior to Barnsley.

Reply Posted by may on Wednesday October 10 2012 at 12:00
i would just like to say to the staff of bdgh not everyone is of the opinion a lot of these comments state, there are thousends of people who over the years owe their lives to you, and think you do an amazing job given the pressures you work under daily. i would like to say a massive thankyou to all the staff that have cared for my family and myself over the years

Reply Posted by Lynn Godfrey on Wednesday October 10 2012 at 15:10
Can not thank Barnsley Hospital enough if it was not for the fantastic Doctors and Nurses there would not be here today to write this THANK-YOU .

Reply Posted by greenginger on Wednesday October 10 2012 at 15:40
The majority of people moaning about the NHS on here are most likely the ones who dont pay towards it anyway. They are likely to be the ones who stand smoking outside it or smuggling in McD's coz they cant eat the decent real food provided. They are likely to be the ones who get drunk and kick off in A & E after falling over or to be people who refuse to wait for a GP appointment instead. Most of you forget that you are lucky to have free healthcare.

Reply Posted by spike on Wednesday October 10 2012 at 16:12
I agree with greenginger, when i have had to visit bdgh everything has been ok the nurses and doc,s were very good,the only time i had to wait was when either drunks or druggies slithered in shouting

Reply Posted by mark on Wednesday October 10 2012 at 19:21
i have had more experiance than most visiting BDGH for one reason or another. most of these were extreamly bad experiences, some were adequate and some were very professional.NONE of these bad experiences were due to night workers makes you wonder? in my opinion this is directly down to funding, everyone during the day have that much paperwork/clerical work to do they connot do the job they are employed to actually do. having said this i didnt blame the nurses once they really are run off their feet and thank you for recently saving my life. on the whole your doing a GREAT JOB and everyone just having a rant for the sake of it have a think what would happen if we lost it?

Reply Posted by may on Thursday October 11 2012 at 10:55
every single person who steps into A&E with a member of their family believe that they should be priority me included its a natural way to feel.but the staff have to make difficult decisions every day i have to say when my dad was taken to hospital with an heart attack i would have been horrified if he had been made to wait because somebody with a boil on their backside or a cut on their little finger etc had arrived there before him. we all have to take a step back and ask ourselves, would we be able to have peoples lives in our hands every day.we all make decissions that sometimes turn out to be the wrong ones these staff are not gods they are human beings and make mistakes the same as the rest of us do fortunately they are few and far between and on the whole do an amazing job

Reply Posted by Louise on Saturday October 13 2012 at 06:49
While in labour wi my 1st the maturnity nurses didn't care, I was in really bad pain n I got sent home with paracetimols, went bk to BDGH cos the pains was cumin every 20seconds n my water ad broke bt got sent bk home, 52 hours later I went bk n told them that summet was wrong bt nurses wouldn't listen n told me t be brave, finally a dr came to me n she new summet wasn't right, she see that my baby's heartbeat is getting weaker n that if he wouldn't cum out now he wuldnt make it, ad emerge c section, baby was in SCUBU 6wks v.poorly, Barnsley didn't ave a clue wot was wrong, bt they did get I touch with Leeds general n manchester general, bt what got me really mad was they sent my 4wk old son wi a stranger all the way to leeds hospital n they didnt tell me he ad gone until i got to BDGH to see my son who wasnt there. Son is now 10months n home for his first Xmas at home, n still an outpatient at Leeds n Manchester for next 5 years,

Reply Posted by Jessica Kirchner on Friday October 26 2012 at 04:46
Your hospital is not fit for a dog. Visiting hours are horrible. Staff are lazy! The acute stroke ward Physicians are horrible. They do not care about the patients and you will be hearing from a lawyer.

Reply Posted by Emma on Friday October 26 2012 at 17:13
A dear friend is now gone due to this hospital! As above comment from jessica this is about the same person, you will pay for what you have done

Reply Posted by Alan's friend on Friday October 26 2012 at 19:03
agree with both girls...shame on Barnsley to let innocent folks expire needlessly!

Reply Posted by Suhu on Friday October 26 2012 at 19:37
As above posts state, we have lost a lovely man who was respected by all that knew him from what should have been second nature to the so called doctors and nurses within BDGH. It's about time someone gave hospitals a kick up the back side and made sure that things like this didn't happen.

Reply Posted by Mr Armitage on Thursday November 8 2012 at 04:07
BDGH... Not a place you want to be if you are in serious need of immediate and professional medical attention... No better than a Charnel house and home to the bottom feeders of the medical 'profession'. The Hallamshire is a far better option for non emergency injuries.... You'll get more prompt, understanding, and compassionate medical advice in Boots chemist's than you will at BDGH.

Reply Posted by Cheryl Hobson on Monday November 19 2012 at 07:24
i want to thank bdgh for the experiences ive had. 3 sections one being an emergency. kids having tonsils n teeth out. me having blood tranfusion last year and several other visits, but each and every time the staff and service was fantastic. keep it up. made my time as a patient alot less scary. x

Reply Posted by Liam Connolly on Monday November 26 2012 at 21:25
I went into day surgery on Friday 23rd November and I would rate the treatment, doctors and nurses outstanding. They were all very clear, professional and all seemed to enjoy their jobs. If anything I am going to send them a thankyou card for being above and exceptional in their duties.

Reply Posted by Cathy on Sunday December 23 2012 at 18:15
I never use BDGH now and neither do my family. Rotherham are much much more professional. As are Sheffield Hallamshire, Claremont and Thornbury. Ask your GP to let you go to another hospital you dont have to put up with the awful staff at Barnsley. Vote with your feet. I wish they could clear all the staff out of Barnsley, make them apply for their jobs again, get them interviewed by some top HR people, Consultants, doctors and nurses, then only give jobs to the cream of the crop, not the incompetent, lazy uncaring ones that seem to have taken over.
To all the people on here who have had good experiences well lucky you, but please dont abuse the many who have posted bad reviews. Just be thankful and think 'there but for the grace...........'

Reply Posted by mrs a harrison on Thursday January 3 2013 at 21:16
i was rushed into a and e on dec 8th with excruciating pain on my left side,i was discharged on dec 22nd from ward 14 after having had numerous tests,scans and two operations which resulted in having my left ovary and fallopian tube removed due to a grapefruit sized cyst being removed.All this done within a week having not had any obvious symptoms beforehand.In my opinion all staff from ambulance man to cleaners nursing staff and sugeons were fantastic and very caring.I can't thank them enough.

Reply Posted by Amanda on Wednesday January 9 2013 at 23:05
I took my son to a and e with an ear infection which was really bad. I took him mon night,and tue night ,and we'd night ,and thurs night!!!!!!! Only to be told every time to give him ibuprofen . On fri his head swelled so much it was level with his shoulder.. He was in agony. My husband took him again and insisted something was seriously wrong. They sent him straight to hallamshire. Who were absolutely amazing, he had mastoiditis which another 24 hours could have been fatal. He then had two operations each 7 hours long . The nurses sat and shared chips with him. Talking to him all the time. I call this caring, hallamshire amazing. I got a shock to how many times the doctors and nurses asked us if we were ok and did we need anything, love Sheffield. When he was younger he was knocked down by a car, in a and e he was examined. He was crying and in shock the nurse asked if he was always this morngy!!! Kept him in just to be safe. 3 days later they found he had a fractured pelvis. 3 days. Must have been busy. These bad times stick in your mind.

Reply Posted by rebecca on Thursday February 7 2013 at 13:48
What a waste of time bdgh is, i have had the worst 4 wks of my life with that place, had my daughter on New years eve 2012, I was told I had to stay in due to ragged membranes and that I had to tell midwifes every time I passed a clot so it could be examined, every time I did pass a large clot I couldnt find anyone and when I finally did they where all.sat in the day room drinking coffee!!!! One midwife totally dismissed me when I expressed my concerns with the blood loss, another midwife left me in the toilet at 3.30am to clean all the floor and bidet as I had bled all over as it was that heavy, she left me to wipe it up with wet pieces of toilet roll!!!! After all this had happened I ended up back in 11 days later with very heavy bleeding and large clots, the midwife that I saw first told me my uterus was contracted and that nothing was there and that it was probably my period!!! Consultant examined me 20 mins later and removed pieces of placenta, went home the day after, didn't get offered a scan, ended up back AGAIN 2 days later, still no scan, just sent me home, ended up going to GP now on tranexamic tablets and norethisterone tablets, to stop bleeding!!! Now just case of wait and see, half the midwifes didn't read my notes and the other half didn't even know what I'd been admitted for!!!! Lost bloods as well, got put in a room and left for hours with no explanation at all and still no.wiser as to what's happening!!!!! I will be going to Sheffield in future as it seems like they don't care most of the time!!!!! Letter of complaint is on its way!!!!

Reply Posted by Lindsay on Wednesday February 27 2013 at 14:11
My experiences at the hospital have mostly been positive over the last couple of years. I went in for a cyst removing whilst pregnant and the staff and doctors were brilliant. Thoughtful, gentle, caring and understanding. I had my son there last year and the midwives and all staff I encountered were fantastic I cannot praise them enough. I didnt hesitate to choose Barnsley for my care again with my second child. On all occasions I found the wards very clean. The food wasn't the best but it was alright - I have had worse on a holiday flight and paid for the experience! I took my son to the emergency department and I would say that was the worst experience - they didn't check him over on arrival but made us wait quite a long time which I thought was ridiculous - how did they know it wasn't serious without even looking at him!? There will always be good and bad in such a large organisation and I agree the bad should be removed but its not fair to tar all staff with the same brush.

Reply Posted by sheila on Sunday March 3 2013 at 20:23
I wouldn't let my dog be treated at Barnsley hospital. Dreadful place, its a wonder its still allowed to open for business.

Reply Posted by Sam on Friday March 8 2013 at 07:09
A few years ago my Mum was admitted for an operation for Bowel cancer. During the operation it was obvious they couldn't do anything for her. They had to tell her and us that she was terminal. The doctor himself was lovely. The nurse in charge that day however was not and at times I felt she was working in the wrong profession as her lack of empathy was outstanding. The doctor had left us all alone to talk it through and said we could stay as long as we needed. After a while dad and I went for a cup of coffee so mum could have a little rest. We weren't allowed back onto to the ward by this nurse as it wasn't visiting hours and had to sit until the exact time she allowed the families in. No compassion for what we'd been told and that the doctor was quite happy for us to stay in the room. She made us feel awful. She'd practically marched us from the ward nad back to the seating area.If it hadn't been such a difficult time for us I would have put a complaint in about her. I know not all the nurses are like her thankfully, I have family work for NHS in Barnsley and I really hope she's not there to upset families in what can be there final few weeks or even days with their loved ones.

Reply Posted by Cheryl on Friday March 15 2013 at 18:37
Sam I know exactly what you mean. A 70 year old Aunt had a similar experience when she was told her husband of 50 years ( who had only been ill for a few weeks) , had only 3 months to live due to cancer. Sat on her own having a quiet tearful moment on receiving the news , a nurse approached her to ask what was wrong. My Aunt a very dignified and lovely lady told her. The nurse replied, ' well we've all got to die from something and it looks like he's going to die from this!' Then walked off! Unbelievable! Where was her compassion and respect, no comfort or support. My uncle died 6 weeks later. My Aunt only told us months later, if we had known at the time we would definitely have complained. Barnsley Hospital hang your heads in shame, a terrible place.

Reply Posted by Sally on Wednesday March 20 2013 at 20:15
Cheryl what an awful thing to have happened to your aunty. How do nurses like that sleep at night, what planet are they on that they think thats being a good human being let alone nurse, in the caring profession? Pity she couldnt be traced and sacked. Disgusting.

Reply Posted by clare Taylor on Saturday March 23 2013 at 01:20
Its wants burning down.don't see why we should pay into nhs.I've worked all my life never been on dole do always paid into it so i expect help when i need it.my eyes have been severly swollen since last July.i think its a food allergy.sometimes i can barely open them.its severly affecting me physically and mentally.i can't afford yo be o

Reply Posted by clare Taylor on Saturday March 23 2013 at 01:36
Continued from other post .i can't afford anymore time on sick.after months of begging various doctors to be referred to hospital i was referred to barnsley hospital.went to see eye specialists a few times who were brilliant but could do nothing for me so was discharged from there and referred to dermatolagy.my eyes hot so bad they wouldn't open and to make it worse was given some cream that burnt my skin so i went to a and e.was disgusted how i was spoke to.don't come here for this see your gp Thats what they get paid fo.bad attitude no wonder people r aggressive with them.got appointment for dermatolagy for Jan but my eyes were that bad my mum took me there on Dec and they fitted me in.went for follow up appointment and they couldn't find out what was wrong.was given loads of medication but only steroids work and important not allowed anymore.should have gone back 6 to 8 weeks later but they never sent me appointment cos they didnt know if doc was leaving.kept phonring cos my eyes were getting worse and they kept fobbing me off and told me to ring dermatolagy who ford me off too.so i went to docs to ask to go to another hospital and he said no cos he never had a problem with barnsley and to keep ringing for appointment .i rang and they said they were in process of sending appointment s out but one never came.been to docs yesterday and saw good Dr.he rang barnsley and explained my face was bad and they fobbed him off too so i said i don't wanna ho yo barnsley.finally he phoned another hospital and he hot me an appointment for doncaster in may.barnsley r a waste of time.

Reply Posted by clare Taylor on Saturday March 23 2013 at 01:50
If your dying just go straight to undertaker cos you won't get any help at barnsley and they won't be bothered anyway.its too much of a chore for them to help anyone.it needs closing down.not being run efficiently would get better care in a third would country.if they had half the resources that we have they wouldn't waste them like barnsley hospital.im not happy about it at all they are a complete waste of time money and effort and Thats putting it nicely

Reply Posted by Cathy on Saturday March 23 2013 at 16:43
Very pleased you've got in at a different hospital Clare. I would never ever use Barnsley again.
If you have had a problem at Barnsley or any other hospital it is your right to ask your doctor to refer you somewhere else.
Good Luck.

Reply Posted by clare Taylor on Saturday March 23 2013 at 18:09
Thanks Cathy kept asking to go somewhere else but they kept wanting to send me to barnsley god knows why

Reply Posted by Lilly on Tuesday March 26 2013 at 13:34
Went with my grandma to audiology for her hearing aid, lovely staff. Business like, professional, but caring.
Went with her to A & E on a different visit! Wow! Different world. Staff brusque, ignorant and uncaring, doctor was ok. Moved onto a ward, lovely doctor. Nurses appalling! Rough, brusque, couldn't care less, horrible horrible. Not a caring bone in their bodies. Dreadful dreadful place, she will never go there again as long as I'm around.
Close it and start again.

Reply Posted by Brett on Tuesday March 26 2013 at 22:04
Close this place down before it does any more damage and ruins any more lives.
Some of the nurses are straight out of a scary novel ! Weird place, talk about inconsistency, ok nurse, horrible nurse, good doctor, bad doctor.
Too brutal for me this place, not relaxing cos you never know how you will be treat. Bad.

Reply Posted by greg on Wednesday March 27 2013 at 08:35
I hope the bosses at barnsley hospital are reading these comments and taking note. What a mess they are in, some good comments, but too many bad ones to make me feel confident at going. Hope i never have to! Think i would go to sheffield or rotherham. Come on barnsley sort it.

Reply Posted by clare Taylor on Wednesday March 27 2013 at 17:48
Eyes were that swollen this morning that it took 5 mins to open the left one which was scary.if anything happens to me i blame barnsley hospital.could be too late by the time i get seen at doncaster

Reply Posted by Never again on Monday April 1 2013 at 12:27
Horrible place. God forbid you never have to be treated on the orthopedic ward. Some of the staff are really rude.

As for security staff, what a joke! To the security guard who has ginger/shaved hair. Get a grip you pleb and stop throwing you weight around, it's embarrassing.

Reply Posted by Annoyed on Monday April 1 2013 at 18:19
The bosses at BDGH are just as usless greg.They don't give two hoots!

Reply Posted by frustrated nurse on Tuesday April 30 2013 at 22:22
I do not work at Barnsley Hospital but iv been reading these comments and they are very upsetting and sad. I would say 99.9% of the nurses i know are caring and compassionate. But they are also irritated. Irritated that more and more paperwork comes our way. Irritated that our role is extended every year to include jobs that should be done by doctors, pharmacists, physios, occupational therapists, secretarys. Irritated that we work to low staffing numbers every day due to unfilled vacancies due to reduced funding. Irritated when a relative criticises us when we haven't had a sip of water in 8 hours so that everything that is required of us is done. Irritated that we have to clean despite the hospital having cleaners.
Compassion and a caring nature gets pushed further and further away the more this happens to nurses who are trying to do our best. We didn't start off being irritated, we started off wanting to do our best to care for people. We earn a decent living thats not an issue, however I would prefer more nurses to a payrise any day, doesn't that say something?

Reply Posted by Russ Peters on Monday May 6 2013 at 08:24
Dont beleave a word of it. (frustrated nurse 30.4.13) older people seem to be targeted the worsed. Left for ages in their own mess. No dignity

Reply Posted by martha green on Monday May 6 2013 at 08:29
older people are at a bigger risk. My father was left for hours in his own mess no one came to clean him up. disgracefull

Reply Posted by angie on Saturday May 11 2013 at 23:09
i think we are very blessed to live in a country where we are allowed to just turn up at a hospital and be seen to regardless of if we have any money or not .people in Africa and such places would be more than grateful to have this privilege .
i have many times had to go in for either births ,operations and investigations .i have very rarely come across bad practice .occasionally an insensitive person (but we can all be like that when under pressure ) .
i have just had treatment on ward 14 .the anaesthetist ,consultants ,nursing staff (at all levels) tea ladies and cleaner .were all hard working ,professional ,respectful and sensitive to mine and everyone else on the ward .such love and care was shown to a very elderly lady who had been on several weeks ,when she was told she was going home all the staff said what a lovely lady she was ,and they wanted to take her home with them .
the cleaner bless her rushed around ,red in the face trying to do the list of jobs she had been given .she had to work around visiting times ,new admissions ,people coming back from theatre ,people in the showers and toilets .i,m sure she may not be appreciated to her full potential despite the problems she faces .
i felt cared for ,pampered ,respected and treated really well from everyone .and all for free .i had meals cooked for me and delivered to me in bed .for me .what more could we ask for xx

Reply Posted by anon on Tuesday June 4 2013 at 16:30
it seems when someone has a bad experience then the whole of Barnsley hospital are to blame. I see nursing staff who have been verbally and physically abused by patients/relatives but are not allowed to retaliate, paper work increases all the time taking nurses away from patient care. blame the management, they are more interested in chasing targets than patients

Reply Posted by Anon2 on Friday September 6 2013 at 21:35
Barnsley hospital is a disgrace!!! sOME of the attitudes of the staff are incredibly ignorant, a course in people skills would go a long way! although we can't label all the staff with the same ignorance. Although I feel a part of it is down to poor budgets etc, a lot is also due to attitude! I had severe preeclampsia when pregnant, midwife sent me up to hospital with concerns, two of the hospitals blood pressure machines malfunctioned, so they said I looked fine and sent me home! A week later I had a headache that bad I couldn't sleep, this time the kept me in. With severe pre-clampsia they should deliver your baby within 24 hours due to high risk to mother and baby, they left me for 4 days before they gave me a c section, by which time my blood pressure was that high, I couldn't hold a conversation and was not in my right mind. As soon as I got back to the ward they brought me food which I ate and started vomiting all over, then I nurse told me off for eating!!! Said I shouldn't be, I asked why I was given it if that was the case, she said they had forgot to cancel my tea.) I was breast feeding my baby about 3 hours after op, said to them I'm going to drop her I keep going in and out of consciousness, they just ignored me and gave me no help at all. they then discharged me just 30 hours after operation. I was by no means fit to leave, my blood pressure remained dangerously high, when the midwife visited me at home, she was disgusted that they didn't keep me in the first time and that they had sent me home in the state I was in. The midwife wanted t send me back in but I refused, as I though it was better for my health not to go there! My dad had an heart attack but managed to get to Barnsley hospital with my mums help, He got there he told them he was having an heart attack, they told him it was just a panic attack and put a bag over his mouth, which he chucked straight in the floor. They tried getting him to leave, making him feel like he was a hypo, when he refused and insisted on blood tests, he was in there for two week with a heart attack! If he had listened to them he would be dead! I have countless family stories, all very negative and disturbing, but they obviously prove that a massive change is needed with the funding and also they training of the staff. I only go there when I am not able to get to Sheffield as I value my life too much!

Add new comment
Your email address will not be visible to other users of the website when you leave a comment.