Pranksters Fake Hoyland Litter Bin Closure

Tuesday September 11 2012

The signs taped over the litter bins in Hoyland The signs taped over the litter bins in Hoyland

RESIDENTS of Hoyland discovered all the town centre litter bins covered over with signs saying they were no longer in use.

The bins on the High Street had been covered with bin bags, with posters printed saying they had been put out of use due to budget cuts and that residents must instead use bins in the local library.

A council spokesman said it is not known who was responsible for it.

Council leader Steve Houghton added: "Once the council became aware of what was taking place it was brought to an immediate end and we apologise for any inconvenience that was caused.

"We understand the point the people concerned were trying to make, but it was not done in an appropriate way."

Reply Posted by joyland tramp on Tuesday September 11 2012 at 14:27
i dont think ive seen anyone use them in joyland anyway!!

Reply Posted by nicole on Wednesday September 12 2012 at 16:06
I know :)

Reply Posted by Tracey on Tuesday September 11 2012 at 14:45
On reading another article http://www.wearebarnsley.com/news/article/1128/big-conversation-meetings-held-this-week, do you think this could be a misplaced try to get people to attend the meetings about the funding? Albeit, the meeting is at the Central Library in Town, but they did tell people to go to the Library......

Reply Posted by Nicky WAB on Tuesday September 11 2012 at 16:28
I have to confess Tracey that I thought the exact same thing - but when I rang the council and asked them outright they knew nothing about it. It seems it was just a local resident trying to make a point. I think it's quite inspired.

Reply Posted by Paul on Tuesday September 11 2012 at 16:29
The people who did it were obviously illiterate!! 'out use'?? Boy there are some dummies out there!!!

Reply Posted by Anonymous on Wednesday September 11 2013 at 21:48
I am amazed that the locals even noticed and agree with that judging from the amount of litter on the streets a large majority of residents failed to understand what a bin. I spent many years living in this filthy hole battling with people who were simply too thick to care and celebrated the day I left them to rot in the filth they created.

Reply Posted by Anonymous on Wednesday September 11 2013 at 21:57
I am amazed that the locals even noticed and agree that judging from the amount of litter on the streets a large majority if the residents fail to understand what a bin is for. I spent many years living in this filthy hole battling with people who were simply to thick to care and celebrated the day I left them to rot in the filth they created. My advice to anyone is don't by a property there unless you like living in a run down area.