'Head Strong' Kickabout Raises Cash For Charity

Monday September 10 2012

A CHARITY football kick-about has raised almost £700 for local cancer support group Head Strong.

The five-a-side football tournament was held on Sept 3 at Kendray Playing Fields, Hunningley Lane.

It was organised by Paul Sanderson, a security officer at the Alhambra and raised £687.

He said: “My mum used to work in the ear, nose and throat department of the hospital and she sadly died when I was just 14 of cancer.

"When I heard about Head Strong it seemed like a very appropriate cause for me to support.

"There's a few tired legs today but well worth it.”

Head Strong provides support and information for people who are affected from the less common types of cancer that occur within the head and neck.

Reply Posted by Pete on Tuesday August 28 2012 at 12:19
How can people get in touch with Paul when you've got his phone number wrong??? there is a digit missing....Doh!!!

Reply Posted by Dan on Tuesday August 28 2012 at 22:35
I am part of 'Fit Reds' that operate a monday night fitness/football knockabout for older men/unfit men in the Barnsley Area - I am sure if your up for it we could also get a charity match together one monday evening at Barnsley Football Club??? Contact me if interested and i can have a word with the organiser and we can sort something. thanks

Reply Posted by sharon on Wednesday August 29 2012 at 02:24
Dan could you email me details please would be vry gratefull

Reply Posted by jill martin on Monday September 10 2012 at 12:59
hi dan would you consider doing one for brain tumour research, my son has inoperable tumour , and we have raised nearly 13,000 in last 18mths and have been trying to find someone to do a charity match xx

Reply Posted by sharon on Tuesday August 28 2012 at 22:35
how did he organise this has i want to do one for the hospice

Reply Posted by Paul Sanderson on Wednesday August 29 2012 at 07:04
Hi my number is 07415114508, someone missed 8 off the end lol. Would be great to see people at 5ives (ex vida) on Monday, anyone wishing to make a donation please pop in the Alhambra centre and speak with security staff. Also please contact me for anymore information, thanks

Reply Posted by Lisa smith on Wednesday August 29 2012 at 07:34
If any wants and raffle tickets pop round to ENT department at Barnsley Hospital and ask for Lisa, tickets are a pound each.

Reply Posted by Pete on Thursday August 30 2012 at 12:44
Bankrupt Brothers Recording Studio is proud to be supporting this great charity event. A raffle prize of half a day in the studio recording your favourite song is up for grabs to the lucky winner!!!