Freecyclers Put Best Foot Forward For Charity

Monday August 20 2012

A GROUP of Facebookers who trade unwanted items amongst themselves have organised a walk in aid of Barnsley Hospice.

The Freecycle for the Barnsley Area group will be doing the walk on Saturday, following the same route as the annual Hospice Midnight Walk.

The walk was organised by founder member Julie Lee, who wasn’t able to take part in the Midnight Walk, but wanted to do her bit for Barnsley Hospice.

If you'd like to donate, you can go here: http://www.justgiving.com/freecycle-walk

Reply Posted by June Winder on Monday August 20 2012 at 11:58

This is our just giving link page
And THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Reply Posted by julie on Monday August 20 2012 at 15:35
http://www.facebook.com/groups/512397505453266/ this is the charity auction too we have set up in aid of the hospice

Reply Posted by Glenn winder on Monday August 20 2012 at 18:53
Count me in ill do it

Reply Posted by June Winder on Monday August 20 2012 at 19:57
Glenn Thank you so much if your not already a member please join us :)
you will be able to find all the details on one of our pages :)
And thank you again

Reply Posted by Amy on Monday August 20 2012 at 23:41
I will be attending :)

Reply Posted by Kain on Friday August 24 2012 at 16:40
id lv to do it, but injured mi foot, n if its owt to julie lee I waint.

Reply Posted by Clare r on Saturday August 25 2012 at 10:31
How do we know all the money is going to them n not half in there pockets???

Reply Posted by Jan. on Saturday August 25 2012 at 21:51
I think it's a terrible thing to insinuate that the good people from Freecycle would even dream of not donating ALL the money raised to the hospice. I've personally met some of these lovely people that have taken it upon themselves to raise money. I've even donated items to be actioned off in aid of this charity and ALL the money raised had gone (and CAN be proved) to the hospice. I think it's sounds like your judging others by there own low standards.

Reply Posted by Jan on Saturday August 25 2012 at 22:03
Sorry to the ladies & gent who did the walk...that should have read "I think it sounds like your judging others by YOUR (meaning Clare r) & not there (as in you) own low standards. I'm so mad that this Clare person would even print such a thing, it could be classed as deformation.

Reply Posted by Lindsi Russell on Saturday August 25 2012 at 21:14
that's awful Clare r!!! there are spme decent people out there still and being a member on the freecycle site we know these people and their passion for wanting to help! and FYI they collect sponsor money annd money raised by thhe auction by a direct link to Barnsley Hospice. !!!!!

Reply Posted by Sally on Saturday August 25 2012 at 21:40
If anyone is concerned about the money raised, it can be checked here...
All money was asked to be donated via that link, and through Julie and the rest of the admin's team's hard work they have raised nearly £300.
I think that's something to be applauded rather than trying to put speculation on their honesty, Clare.

Reply Posted by Lindsi Russell on Saturday August 25 2012 at 21:42
AND to add, they did the walk in torrential rain and a thunder storm which if they we on the 'screw' they wouldn't have put up with!

Reply Posted by Ana S. on Saturday August 25 2012 at 22:11
PPL ALREADY GIVE ITEMS FOR FREE ON FREECYCLE.... IF WE (MEMBERS) WANTED MONEY WE WOULD SELL THE ITEMS INSTEAD OF GIVING THEM AWAY....SO WHY THE HELL WOULD THE ADMIN /CREATOR OF THE PAGE/MEMBERS DO SUCH A THINK?!
CLARE R.....UR COMMENT IS JUST STUPID!

Reply Posted by Ana S. on Saturday August 25 2012 at 22:11
*thing

Reply Posted by michelle on Saturday August 25 2012 at 22:22
the ADMIN of barnsley freecycle are good warm hearted people who give there time up freely and gift items freely the ADMIN on that site are a credit to barnsley they willingly give up their time and raise money for a worthwhile cause pity the person or people who have said different couldnt have joined the people on the walk and not sat on here insinuating slander

Reply Posted by julie on Saturday August 25 2012 at 22:27
Look u im not as sad as u claire y would i walk in such weatherto pocket the money i set up just giving an informed barnsley hospice of the walk and if u ask them they will confirm it SO TYVM for your support but im not a thief ty if I i was i wunt have completed the walk in pissing it down rain and thunder and set up just giving which goes direct to hospice so before u accuse folk think b4 U speak

Reply Posted by lorraine w on Saturday August 25 2012 at 22:33
your comment CLARE R is below the belt and could be classed as slander the people who took part in this worthwhile cause to raise money for the hospice are GOOD KIND HEARTED people as are most of the members of the site and admin too could i ask what did you do today anything to help your community oh no you sat on here accusing people of being thieves you should be ashamed of yourself you are a disgrace !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply Posted by sam c on Saturday August 25 2012 at 22:47
i am also a member of freeycle and do not know julie,ana or most of the others personally.....but you know what i trust them 100%......i have sponsored them a small amount and have not had a second thought about where this money would end up!!!!!freecycle is about helping others...but small minded people need not apply to join

Reply Posted by Michele jones on Saturday August 25 2012 at 23:29
I'm proud to be a member of freecycle I have gifted many items in the last few months and have met some wonderful people. Claire I think you seriously should apologise for your insensitive comment it is completely unacceptable.

Reply Posted by diane gent on Saturday August 25 2012 at 23:32
her comment is disgusting admin and members do a brill job helping people in anyway they can keep up the good work and congrats to all that did the walk

Reply Posted by Mandy Nam on Sunday August 26 2012 at 00:08
Clare R - Like you I was a little skeptical when I heard that people there was a group of people that gave things away for free - including their time. I wondered why they would do it, what did they get out of it, where's the catch? However, once I'd taken the time to look up the group and join, it very quickly became apparent that while virtual, the Freecycle group is made up of a cohort of very genuine, caring and compassionate people. Some of the things I have seen done for people on the site are quite amazing, and it's not just that they give things to others; it's the community spirit that the site fosters, which compels others to help. When Julie made us aware of the walk, we donated money and items/time etc. We did this because not only do we care about the cause, but also it's nice to give those that work hard on the site some measure of our appreciation. You may not understand, nor agree with any of the comments I have made - But I can genuinely say that neither when I donated my money, nor my time, did it ever cross my mind that anybody may 'pocket' that money, other than the intended recipients. Everything has been transparent, and at all junctures links to where our money has gone have been included. You may call this naivety, however I think many Freecyclers would believe it to be an extension of the faith and trust we have in the admin team and all that Freecycle stands for. I was very glad to help and proud that I have in some way helped such a worthwhile cause. I would also ask you to consider the impact your insinuation may have on everybody that took part in the arduous walk today- and how totally soul destroying it must be to have your motives questioned in this manner. The old addage 'Damned if you do and damned if you don't' springs to mind. They should all be very proud of themselves - We all are!

Reply Posted by Kay on Sunday August 26 2012 at 00:29
Well put and well said Mandy Nam x

Reply Posted by swaz on Sunday August 26 2012 at 07:20
Clare R, 2 secs, i'll be with u in a mo.
Mandy where the heck did that come from? you should be writing for a magazine. Thankyou I really don't think we need to add anything more haha.
Now Clare as for u, what u meant was "i" not "we" as everyone who sponsored knows the method they used to do this and were advised of the safest ways of payment...but no one will hold this against u now that people seem to have cleared this up for u..Considering that u are old enough, do feel free to join Freeclycle for the Barnsley area and see for yourself how things work.
P.S Kain lol.. I'm guessing that u have met Julie and have beyf with her and are too scared to put your real name, so there was no real point to your comment.

Reply Posted by betty on Sunday August 26 2012 at 12:45
how can anyone make remarks like that about a wonderfull bunch of people who give their time and items for free to help other people i want to say a big thamkyou to the addmin and people on these sites and the people who did the walk was so sorry i could not do it myself through health reasonds but will do anything else i can to help wonderfull people like these they have helped me help so many other people in need ablebodied and disabled and we are all so honoured and proud to have the help and support we recieve from these womnderfull people we are proud to know you keep up the good work and ignore these people lol xx

Reply Posted by betty on Sunday August 26 2012 at 12:48
ps was glad to donate money to such a ewonderfull caudse sos for spelling bit off it today xx

Add new comment
Your email address will not be visible to other users of the website when you leave a comment.