Bakery Staff Issue Phone Ban

Thursday August 2 2012

STAFF at a Hoyland bakery are refusing to serve customers who are talking on their mobile phones.

Staff at Staniforth's bakers, in King Street, Hoyland have put a sign up telling customers they will not be served if they are busy chatting.

They say the sign has been up for a few months but it has recently come to the attention of Real Radio breakfast DJ David Dixon or 'Dixie' as he is know to his listeners.

He popped into the bakery and spotted the sign at the back of the counter. He was so impressed by it he posted a photo of himself on Twitter and Facebook with the sign and staff at the bakery.

Shop assistant Dawn Marsden, 45, said "We just don't serve the customers, it's ignorant being on the phone while you're getting served. I said to Dixie, 'what would you think I was on the phone when I was serving you?"

What pet hates do you have? Have rude customers ever done something that shocked you? Comment in the box below.

Reply Posted by trish on Thursday August 2 2012 at 11:09
My "pet hate" is seeing young mums pushing their child in the pram and texting at the same time!!!!
I was travelling in my car and approaching a junction. Has i approached a young mum pushing her baby in the pram and texting, didnt even bother to look and walked straight out into the road infront of me!!!! Obviously texting is more important than the safety of her child!!! Poor little mite.

Reply Posted by Rachel on Tuesday August 7 2012 at 10:33
Why have you labelled this as only young mums who do this? Do older parents not do this too? I'm not condoning it, but you cannot stereotype one group of parents when this is something that a lot do. Also, why not dads? Or do dads not lush prams?

Reply Posted by rachel on Tuesday August 7 2012 at 10:59
**push

Reply Posted by Becky on Thursday August 2 2012 at 11:37
My pet hate is similar to Trish's. I hate when you see a mother (and it is always women I haven't seen a bloke do it) check to see if the road is clear by emerging from between two barked cars with the pushchair first. If you can't see look yourself! They push the pushchair out into the road and then timidly peek around the side of the car...if anything was coming along the road I dread to think what would happen. And this isn't a one time only thing I see it 3, 4, 5 times a week.

Reply Posted by kez on Thursday August 2 2012 at 12:09
Whats it matter, they are being PAID to serve you, and you are PAYING for something , I realise it isn't the most polite thing to do but I'm sure that many rude people speak to them off the phone

Reply Posted by fred on Thursday August 2 2012 at 12:13
My pet hate is people who cant spell when trying to make a point... For example "Has i approached" and " emerging from between two barked cars" ... Kind of ruins the point of what you're trying to say...

Reply Posted by k on Tuesday August 7 2012 at 10:21
*can't

Reply Posted by Chris on Thursday August 2 2012 at 13:09
This article is a complete joke.
A phone ban in a bakery? Who cares?

Reply Posted by Joe on Thursday August 2 2012 at 13:27
Has this been allowed by Staniforth's Head Office, or do they even know about it?

I would think in a recession that any business would be happy to serve paying customers no matter what they are doing.... lets face it, mobile phones have now become part of everyday use and sometimes it can not be helped when & where you need to talk on your phone.

Reply Posted by ah on Thursday August 2 2012 at 19:37
its all in a bit of fun

Reply Posted by Shell on Thursday August 2 2012 at 19:41
I think the ban is a bit far fetched! I agree with your comment Joe! I like how people have to always comment on how parents are with their children! That is my pet hate! People interferring and sticking their nose in with how you are parenting your child! Agreed you should watch where you are going if you are crossing a road, leave the rest up to the parents.

Reply Posted by Shell on Thursday August 2 2012 at 19:45
Also another 'pet hate' is sterotyping! Not all young mums push their pram whilst texting - being a young mum myself!

Reply Posted by CDM on Friday August 3 2012 at 00:14
Not all young mums push prams into the road while texting, and not all bakery customers talk on the phone while trying to buy a bun. But the problem is one of respect...I don't mean respect as in fear of a teacher, or of your parents - just respect for anyone. It is sadly lacking. People don't care, as is clear from some of the comments above. Why not though? What is the problem with caring and wanting to be "nice" to people. Why is that so difficult? Why is it so difficult to TALK to people you are dealing with? Why is your text SO important that it must be done AT THE SAME TIME as ordering your bun? Why not talk to the lass behind the counter...you never know...she might be nice and you can become friends! ha ha. :)

Reply Posted by carla on Friday August 3 2012 at 01:44
love how barnsley folks dont respect other peoples comments and have to have a bitch, gbut then again thats barnsley

Reply Posted by lucy on Friday August 3 2012 at 01:45
my pet hate is barnsley accent!!!!

Reply Posted by Jacky on Friday August 3 2012 at 04:59
Wot about rude STAFF that chit chat and either leave customers stood waiting to be served or Have their own conversation whilst dealing with you

Reply Posted by trish on Friday August 3 2012 at 19:20
Ye fred, maybe someone should learn "grammer" too!

Reply Posted by Simon on Friday August 3 2012 at 21:00
My pet hate is people who throw rubbish in the street or out of the car window and don't then look embarrassed about it. Dirty pigs.

Reply Posted by John on Saturday August 4 2012 at 02:38
My pet hate is people being ignorant to the meaning of ignorant. Ignorant has nothing to do with ignoring something. What happened to education in Barnsley? I think the comments on this website show just how poor it is.

Reply Posted by Penny on Tuesday August 7 2012 at 11:38
My pet hate? Oh, there's so many of them!! Parents smoking whilst pushing prams, pushchairs, holding their children's hands. Children not being appropriately restrained in the back of the car. Think they must be my top two!!

Reply Posted by Gin on Tuesday August 7 2012 at 13:57
My pet hate it when women get so mardy about people commenting on how poorly they treat their children, eg, taking them clothes shopping on a sunny day instead of the park and then loudly swearing at them in the town centre because they're bored, but then they're quite happy to take these people's taxes to pay for this shopping trip. People are obviously going to criticise you if you're pushing your child in to the road. As for who cares about the phone thing... People who work in retail do. I always go to work in a cheerful mood and treat customers with respect, as should all staff and customers. Customers on the phone look at me funny, as if I'm the rude one for asking to take their order.